Motorcycle riders, Step-in.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Started out on a 1976 Kawasaki KE 175, I bought sometime in the early 90s with money I earned own my own. First real thing I ever bought on my own. Loved it!! Road the wheels off of it, then sold it two years later for what I bought it for.

Fast forward a number of years later and bought a barely used Suzuki Katana 600, great easy to ride bike but had to sell it before I killed myself.

Again a couple years later all my buddies were into dirt bikes, so I bought a 2002 yz250F. Really wanted a 400 or a 450 but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 250. Never had any problem keeping up with the bigger bikes at all, 90% rider-10% bike I believe is the saying. For anyone who hasn't ridden one of the newer high revving 4 strokes, they are a beast!!

Sold that one and bought a 2003 KTM 450 exc with the intention of making it street legal but never got to it. Hadn't been riding near as much so traded it in towards my daughters car.

I have acquired a 2002 yz250, a smoker baby!!, my buddy has given to me for storing for a number of years.

Also have a 1985 Honda CB 125S, fun little bike to put around town on and a 2009 Honda Ruckus Scooter=, just for fun of course.

In the future I plan to have a Yamaha FJR 1300, better payoff the Kubota first. lol...
Ben

I too had one of those KE models - KE250 - 78 model - ran that thing like I stole it ! Great on gas , great on my a$$$:D Back then the idea of falling off never stayed in my head long.

THEN I got a few more ponies under my legs (ok- 33 years later) and then I realized I had too much bike .....and sold it !

Attachments

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I started out riding my dads 175 Kawasaki endure back in 1974. It didn't take long for me to take that bike over, Rode it every day to school. I stepped up to a Kawasaki 250 endure my senior year in high school. Split my time between street and trail riding, but the MX bug was calling. after high school I picked up a Yamaha YZ125 mono shock, last year they had a steel frame. What a blast to ride and a big difference from the dual sport bikes. I never could afford the required gear to compete in a true AMA race so we just went to private tracks and trail rode. After a few crash's I realized I had to work for a living so I gave up cycles for the next 28 years.

Fast forward to children, four of them. My wife decides we should head out to the local MX track and check out the races. That leads to her thinking it would be a good idea if we got the kids a small bike and teach them how to ride. Next thing you know we have a KLX 110 in the house. It took less than one year and we had a want to be racer wanting more bike. Along comes a KTM 85 and a track membership. It took less than 2 months for me to get a KTM 250SXF, you know to help the kid and ride with him.

Well one thing leads to another and the next thing I know I'm wanting a street bike. with the wife's blessings I end up with a Ducati 796 Hyper Motard. this has turned into my daily rider. I was content with this bike until I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. A 1996 Ducati 916 with less than 5,000 miles on it. This is my Sunday bike, LOL. I ride around 3,000 miles a year. Mostly local riding. Most times by my self. Going to try some longer trips this year. I love riding.

Ride safe. Pauly

4play

Apr 17, 2013
Roscommon Mi
Love to ride!
5 Bultaco Enduros
Yamaha 400YZ
Yamaha 175 Enduro-ride on property bike. Still have.
Yamaha 460 Enduro
Husky 430 Enduro
Husky 500 Auto Enduro
Polaris 400 4 wheeler-Still have
Switched to road bikes
Honda 500 Silverwing-Still have
Honda GL1000-Still have
Honda 1100 Shadow
Hona 1300 VTX
Honda 1800 VTX
Traded last two bikes in for Can Am Spyder RT Love this.
Rode around Lake Superior, Flordia and down to the Keys, Deals Gap, Blue Ridge HWY, Devils Traingle, Cherohala Skyway. This year we took the bike, by trailer, to Daytona Speedweek and Bikeweek...
Six snowmobiles we still ride also
70 yrs young and still thrown dirt and smoken tires.

Last edited:

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
Currently riding a 2014 Honda CTX1300. For me, the most comfortable bike I have ridden so far. I'm a fair weather rider and only clock 2000 to 4000 miles a year.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
4play my Dads buddy had a Bultaco that he left at my Grandads farm when I was about 14. I think it was about a 350 or so? Jimmy told me to ride the hey out of that motorcycle, so I borrowed gas from my Grandads fuel tank( it was purple gas) and rode that thing all over heys half acre for a whole summer!

If you figure out how to boot start that miserable piece of machinery you learn to start any piece of iron.

I had a groovy red, white and blue evil knievel helmet, gonads the size of coconuts( I thought so at the time) , a bike that went like an Arabian stud horse( when I could start it) and had the best summer EVER!

Wooohooooo!

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Just about as much fun as you can have on 2 wheels and not have to worry about triple digit tickets. My boy rides the WR250X and ride the WR250R.

Last summer

2 Weeks ago.

4play

Apr 17, 2013
Roscommon Mi
Hey Corney, wasn't that the truth! My first intro to the dirt world and bikes. I think I had more fun on those buls than any bikes I've owned. Of course memories get better with age. LOL

blank102

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Feb 2, 2015
Mexifornia
My first bike back in the early 80's was a Honda Shadow 500. Followed by a 82 Yamaha Heritage Special. And yes I regret selling that bike in the mid 80's.
In 2006 my wife surprised me with a 2007 Triumph Bonneville T100(I've always loved British bikes). I also bought a Yamaha FJR 1300.On July 4 last year a car turned in front of me and totaled my beautiful Bonny. Now I have a 2014 Triumph Speedmaster that I love more with each passing day.:D

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
What a nice thread...I dont know which of the Beemers I miss the most.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. An neither am I. After 60 I had to chane to a Convertible. Works also.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The way the seasons have been going here riding time is getting less each year. Maybe I will go look for a Ural for fall and winter riding, at least I wont fall over,,lol

bighammer

Equipment
L4240
Nov 25, 2012
Traverse City, MI
Just happened to see this and couldn't pass it up w/o a reply.

I've had 2004 SV650n for about 8 years. It was bone stock and sort of a "blank canvas" for modification. They are great little bikes, but the suspension is a weak link needing improvement. Many call it a starter bike, but it's a blast to ride and I'm not really looking to "move up" anytime soon.

Shot of me riding the The Dragon a couple years ago:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Like others, have had many since '74. The Kaw 900 was the best, unbelievable tourqe, just twist the throttle and go. Crashed in a dirt bike race, busted my left elbow bad, missing 6 inches of one of the arm bones. Current bike is a Yamaha V Star 1100 cc. Still rideing at 64 but very careful.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aint that the truth ipz2222, every ride while fun makes me wonder where peoples heads are any more

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Just happened to see this and couldn't pass it up w/o a reply.

I've had 2004 SV650n for about 8 years. It was bone stock and sort of a "blank canvas" for modification. They are great little bikes, but the suspension is a weak link needing improvement. Many call it a starter bike, but it's a blast to ride and I'm not really looking to "move up" anytime soon.

Shot of me riding the The Dragon a couple years ago:
/QUOTE]

I rode My Vstrom to the Dragon last year for spring break my son and I were going to both ride our Vstroms this year but then I decided the WRs would be more fun so we are trailering them down and staying in Pigeon Forge. My wife and younger boys are also going and hanging out in Pigeon Forge. We will be there Easter Weekend. I cant wait. That area is so much fun to ride.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We rode the Dragon a bunch of years ago,, it scared the snot out of me,,,, not the road but the freekin on coming traffic on your side of the road !!!!!!:eek: