Mig Welder Suggestions

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
I'm looking for a new MIG welder. I have a 50 amp plug in my shop so looking for a 220V model. Don't want to spend 1500 bucks for something I won't be using everyday but also don't want a cheap 150 buck model. Have been looking hard at the Eastwood 175 model. Any have any experience with them?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
For cost and good reviews, the Everlast products seem to have the best rep for the Chinese stuff.

For local made, Lincoln, Miller and Hobart (which has some foreign made stuff in there) are good bets.

No idea about Eastwood.

Craigslist is a good place to go for the used stuff that you can sometimes get for a steal but you have to have patience and be fast on the phone when one gets posted.

rob82

Equipment
2012 BX25
Jan 18, 2013
Monroe,NJ
I'm doing the same. A friend of mine has the Eastwood 175 and really likes it. Be interested to see everybodys thoughts on welders. My son does a lot of welding and went thru 2 Lincolns Migs so he spent $2200 on a Miller and loves it but I wont be doing that much welding. Not so sure about buy a used one.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I guess it depends on your particular need(s). I have a lincoln, probably 10-12 years old.sp 160. Very happy with it. I also have a clunky old stick welder. Its all i need to weld whatever.
I bought a 50 amp longevity plasma cutter. Very handy.
Nowadays people want to dabble in tig welding so a versatile unit is now the norm.
Inverter type welders seem to be all the rage now.
I'll stick with what i have.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As in most cases, you get what you pay for!
I have a miller Mig and it's paid for it's self 100 times over! ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I weld every day, but not commercially. I like Hobart for a couple of reasons. First, Hobart has an excellent warranty with very professional support. Second, consumables are readily available. Third, I started with a smaller unit, then moved up to a larger one; both have functioned flawlessly, without a single hiccup. Hobart and Miller are both owned by the same parent company. I looked at many options, and felt that Hobart, for my uses, offered the most value for the money. I haven't been disappointed.

In my opinion, welders are a lot like tractors- support, consumables, and parts availability are more key than what color it is.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I have had a Lincoln 180 on argon since 1998 and it has been a flawless machine. I can't speak for other brands, but this unit has done everything i could ask of it and more.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
That was a good read regarding eastwood. Was in the snap on truck a while back, eying up a nice looking set of terminal crimpers. Saw taiwan on the box. Put it down. Not buying it of a snap on truck. Same one at princess auto.

You get what you pay for doesent hold water anymore. Quality by reputation or experience. Everything has a forum, can find out all you need. never believe product reviews. Three similar products, three identical reviews. I call B.S.

Good luck with your quest. Hope you like what you buy.

Got my first mig welder 23 years ago, a Clarke, 100 amp welder. Was a bare bones unit made in Italy.
110volt machine. Still have it. Will weld the thinnest of sheet metal. Bought it for 300 used.

Last edited:

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
I also run a Hobart 140. I have used it for mostly repairing and restoring cars and hot rods, but will be putting it to use on the tractor now. My next Machine will be a Miller Diversion 180 TIG so I can handle aluminum as well. Just waiting to finish my workshop before I drop 2k on that baby!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Miller has some good deals...

I have two millers and love them. Check out the millermatic 211..that is a spectacular piece of equipment. Weld just about everything...and it makes the smoothest welds easily. Works on 110 or 220v...I only use 220v...so I don ' t really care about the 110 option.

Miller has some rebate deals for Christmas ....I get all my welding stuff from cyberweld on line.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
That was a good read regarding eastwood. Was in the snap on truck a while back, eying up a nice looking set of terminal crimpers. Saw taiwan on the box. Put it down. Not buying it of a snap on truck. Same one at princess auto.

You get what you pay for doesent hold water anymore. Quality by reputation or experience. Everything has a forum, can find out all you need. never believe product reviews. Three similar products, three identical reviews. I call B.S.

Good luck with your quest. Hope you like what you buy.

Got my first mig welder 23 years ago, a Clarke, 100 amp welder. Was a bare bones unit made in Italy.
110volt machine. Still have it. Will weld the thinnest of sheet metal. Bought it for 300 used.
Yup, I have a Clarke 100, just rebuilt the gun on it, runs nice. Have other 'stuff' for stick and plasma cutting. I'm eying an Everlast multi-process to replace everything but the MIG.

At my Father's ranch, he has an old stick style that I use on my D-17 and it works fine. I think that tractor has more welds than regular metal.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Yup, I have a Clarke 100, just rebuilt the gun on it, runs nice. Have other 'stuff' for stick and plasma cutting. I'm eying an Everlast multi-process to replace everything but the MIG.

At my Father's ranch, he has an old stick style that I use on my D-17 and it works fine. I think that tractor has more welds than regular metal.
lol,quote from an old farmer-"if you cant weld good,weld lots"

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Just picked up a Miller 130, kinda beat up, but functional. My NASA certified welder buddy said it was a good buy for $100. Still need to get a CO2 bottle, looking forward to trying it out.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I've been very happy with Miller MIG. However, due to moving I gve it to a step-son-in law.

However, now,in city house and attached garage, I still need something. So I spent $95 on a Harbor freight flux core 110 v model. Even though it is cheap, I managed to get some welding done on thin stuff. Not sure what a larger rig might do, but I think the flux core wire I used just is very short on flux and the welds show it.

Summary: Don't go flux core if you can do with gas.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Summary: Don't go flux core if you can do with gas.
In my opinion, the ONLY thing flux core is good for is making emergency field repairs where dragging an argon tank isn't very practical. I would never put up with flux core welding in a shop situation. Just my humble opinion.....

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I was looking at purchasing one myself. I'm not a welder but would like to learn how. I was looking at the Lincoln Power MIG 180C or the Power MIG 210 MP Multi-Process. Both seem to be reasonably priced. Would these be good for a beginner?

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
After reading reviews on different welders for about 3 months I purchased the Eastwood 135 (110v model). I've owned it for about a year and a half now, and I've gone through about 8 pounds of .035 flux core without and problems. I really like the infinite settings, as you can adjust it to any metal thickness and get that perfect sizzle. The specs say it will weld up to 1/4" thick steel, but I used it to weld together a tooth bar that I built for my loader, and it was all 1/2" steel. I didn't have any problems with over heating, shutting down, or lack of weld penetration. And I have really put that tooth bar through the ringer by moving over 10 tons of packed rocks and gravel from a drainage wash back in the summer and it held up great. The Eastwood comes with a 3 year full warranty, and that's what sold me on it.

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I was looking at purchasing one myself. I'm not a welder but would like to learn how. I was looking at the Lincoln Power MIG 180C or the Power MIG 210 MP Multi-Process. Both seem to be reasonably priced. Would these be good for a beginner?
I can't speak for any of the others, but I have had a 180 since 98' and it has been fantastic and easy to use.