Merchants demanding cash only for payment.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The reality is that the business makes less money on a credit card transaction. I have noticed that my Kubota dealer and some of the lawn equipment dealers are charging a fee for credit card transactions now. I carry cash so that I can avoid these fees. I have not experienced a business that will not accept cash. But if your business has been robbed, I can understand the mentality.

Jack
I say suck it up sunshine it's the cost of doing business.

If they don't like it I say great, open an account for me and I'll pay on 30 day terms and send you a cheque in the mail.

In the good old days I got a 2% cash discount in lieu of not using credit. In fact, I still have some accounts that give me a 2% discount if paid within 30 days of the statement.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Farken He.LL guys. Apparently we will bitch about everything on here. I get the minor inconvenience, sure! But for farks sake…. Create a thread about it?
Historically businesses requesting cash only was either dodging the IRS so buyer be ware and they were clearly dodging taxes and so were you OR they just flat out don’t trust you. Look at you first.😉
There are plenty of posts created that some feel aren't that important, good thing is that if you don't like a person's post, you don't have to read it and you don't need add you high and mighty reply, sorry that this has ruined your day and I hope you don't lose sleep over it.

Reactions: 1 user

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
No "requirements" for plastic payment here. In Detroit, I have to assume that they require plastic payment in an effort to combat theft of cash from the establishment. Detroit, like most large liberal cities, have degraded into crime ravaged hellscapes. The criminals run rampant, with no consequences whatsoever. I wouldn't visit Detroit on a dare.
I get it, we're heading to cashless society and there's nothing we can do about, I'm sure that's there plenty of good and bad associated with it. I also realize that this isn't something new, my complaint is that if one must use plastic, why is there a double dipping for using CC, you're charged an interest rate (if not paid within 30 days) and then you're charged again at POP when you use it. Also, it appears to be up to the merchant on what they want to charge for the fee, I've seen a flat rate of 1$ or as high as 3.75%, I wonder at what point will people really start to complain, when it's 5/10 %?

Detroit is not that bad, it's really no different/worse than the large cities in many states, except we don't have the huge areas of homeless people, we don't have our streets lined with urine/feces/needles like they do in California or Portland. We can walk on countless miles of beaches and not see a single homeless camp.
In the future, million of those that had nothing good to say about Detroit or our state and the other surrounding states, will be heading to the golden horsehoe when they start dying of thirst.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
There are plenty of posts created that some feel aren't that important, good thing is that if you don't like a person's post, you don't have to read it and you don't need add you high and mighty reply, sorry that this has ruined your day and I hope you don't lose sleep over it.
Oh, I didn’t lose any sleep, thanks for your concern and my reply was far from high and mighty. Happy to oblige you if needed!🤣

Do you really not understand how CC’s work?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I get it, we're heading to cashless society and there's nothing we can do about, I'm sure that's there plenty of good and bad associated with it. I also realize that this isn't something new, my complaint is that if one must use plastic, why is there a double dipping for using CC, you're charged an interest rate (if not paid within 30 days) and then you're charged again at POP when you use it. Also, it appears to be up to the merchant on what they want to charge for the fee, I've seen a flat rate of 1$ or as high as 3.75%, I wonder at what point will people really start to complain, when it's 5/10 %?

Detroit is not that bad, it's really no different/worse than the large cities in many states, except we don't have the huge areas of homeless people, we don't have our streets lined with urine/feces/needles like they do in California or Portland. We can walk on countless miles of beaches and not see a single homeless camp.
In the future, million of those that had nothing good to say about Detroit or our state and the other surrounding states, will be heading to the golden horsehoe when they start dying of thirst.
No double dipping on my CC. I can use it as credit or debit with no cost to me. When used as credit it hits my bank just like a debit card. Debit gives me the cash price for fuel. I will not shop at a store that requires a fee for using my card.
I have a few CC that I keep just to keep the credit folks happy. Paid in full each month so no interest paid.

Not sure about the dying of thirst comment.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On a slightly different tack, I know of an auto parts store that stopped accepting pennies about 6 or 7 years ago. Every price is rounded up to the next 5 cents.
I was told about a month ago (in a bar, for what that is worth:)) that they will soon stop accepting nickels, and will round prices to the next 10 cents.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
On a slightly different tack, I know of an auto parts store that stopped accepting pennies about 6 or 7 years ago. Every price is rounded up to the next 5 cents.
I was told about a month ago (in a bar, for what that is worth:)) that they will soon stop accepting nickels, and will round prices to the next 10 cents.
Somebody should teach them the rules of rounding !

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Canada did away with pennies entirely, a few years ago.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
It also illustrates why gold, silver, diamonds, etc are no substitute for cash
Actual, gold and silver were money long before (paper) cash was invented. The orginal paper bills represented physical gold or silver and were directly redeamable in gold or silver. Paper bills were introduced as a convience as they did not have the weigt and could represent any amount (large or small). The link to gold/silver was ended by the gov. in the 20th century.

If you want to learn the history of money, read "What Has Government Done to Our Money?" by Murry Rothbard. You can get it for free in various formats here. You only need to read the first section (about 20 pages) to get a good history/purpose of "money". The 2nd & 3rd sections go into the modern manipulations.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Actual, gold and silver were money long before (paper) cash was invented. The orginal paper bills represented physical gold or silver and were directly redeamable in gold or silver. Paper bills were introduced as a convience as they did not have the weigt and could represent any amount (large or small). The link to gold/silver was ended by the gov. in the 20th century.

If you want to learn the history of money, read "What Has Government Done to Our Money?" by Murry Rothbard. You can get it for free in various formats here. You only need to read the first section (about 20 pages) to get a good history/purpose of "money". The 2nd & 3rd sections go into the modern manipulations.
Sea-shells and wampum belts were used before gold/silver. So what? The history of bartering goes back long before artificial representations of value called ”money”. You can’t eat gold, silver, or diamonds when people’s faith and use of those mediums are lost. The History of commerce and monetary systems are not the point of the thread, but Alfred if you’re going to try to teach it you should be more specific to define “gov.” and when in the 20th century. I can remember camping in the Lincoln Nat. Forest in August of ‘71 when the news hit that the Nixon administration was cutting loose from the gold-standard of $35/oz. All that did was let GOLD value float…. it didn’t do a thing to change what is used to buy things in America or Zimbabwe.

The U.S. dollar is value-based in merchandise and faith. Plastic card values are based on the dollar in America and the Euro on the continent and worth only what merchants will tolerate in banking-costs. (and cryptocurrency is a shell-game…I have more faith in wampum.)

I recall when a Economics 101 text pointed out that “Only a gov’t can take a valuable commodity….such as paper… and make it worthless by applying ink.”

But any retailer can decide that plastic is worthless in his store and there’s the OP’s complaint…. he doesn’t like having his plastic devalued (with an added fee.)

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
One of a few local restaurants tacks 3% on for CC use. Looks like Wifey, Sweet Pea and I don't count ("Guests 0")

The food there is good and we brought enough along home for three servings of OC after eating more than we should have. There was also 3/4 of the burger left, in part because the little one preferred orange chicken and rice.

IMG_20230205_200243_815.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One of a few local restaurants tacks 3% on for CC use. Looks like Wifey, Sweet Pea and I don't count ("Guests 0")

The food there is good and we brought enough along home for three servings of OC after eating more than we should have. There was also 3/4 of the burger left, in part because the little one preferred orange chicken and rice.

View attachment 95334
I will "conveniently" avoid such merchants with "convenience" fees!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I look at it this way:
- its their business they can accept or not.
- its my money I can cash, visa, debit, or whatever

what gets me more is:
- the auto tip feature at my local burger bar / pool hall starts at 24% and goes up to 33% and both the service and food sucks. Machine seems set so you can ONLY choose within that range.
- the local ACE hardware store has closed it washrooms to customers (only staff). Whne the mood strikes what am I supposed to do? I now shop elsewhere. I now go to either the new Tractor Supply or the old Farmers Supply, or the Co-op, or...... lots of choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As you noted, the quality of food no longer matches the price they are asking for it. Since the wife and I both work, we eat out a lot. Yet, over the last four months this has become less and less.

We would pay the higher prices if the food quality was there, but it is not. So, we are grilling/cooking more at home and actually saving money, plus losing weight.

I will be curious to see how these businesses stay open with the service that they are offering.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My kids and grand kid have all worked food service in their teens so I know what matters to them. I tend to over tip at family restaurants for just that reason.
I would tell the server than due to the owners 3% charge my tip will go from 10 dollars to 7 and we will most likely not be back.
Then I would jump on yahoo and yelp and let the locals know to watch out for this ploy.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
bank charges us 3.3% PER TRANSACTION, for credit/debit card use.

Place I work for, gives a 3.5% discount for cash paying customers. That is what the bank charges, and we don't have a choice but to pass it on.

The other choice, place I used to work for, they hit you with 3% charge on ALL transactions, cash, credit, all of them. So if you pay cash, they made 3% on top of everything else. When you're dealing with high dollar repairs and/or high dollar construction equipment, on a hundred grand, that's substantial. Instant $3000 profit. Cash customers that know they're getting charged for it, they'd sometimes ask for a 3% discount and they'd get it-IF they asked for it. The vast majority paid and went on; with a lot of them in a rush to get in/out of that place for various reasons.

another business transaction that makes money is sales tax. If the combined local/state/federal tax is 10.015%, the business isn't gonna charge you $11.015 on a $10.00 charge, theyr'e gonna round it up to the nearest whole penny so figure $11.02. So after a month's worth of business, say a million, they rounded up and paid in 10.015%, and kept what they over-charged. That is insignificant in the grans scheme of things but it's nonetheless a profit that the business keeps and some could say that it's taking advantage of the consumer.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
bank charges us 3.3% PER TRANSACTION, for credit/debit card use.

Place I work for, gives a 3.5% discount for cash paying customers. That is what the bank charges, and we don't have a choice but to pass it on.

The other choice, place I used to work for, they hit you with 3% charge on ALL transactions, cash, credit, all of them. So if you pay cash, they made 3% on top of everything else. When you're dealing with high dollar repairs and/or high dollar construction equipment, on a hundred grand, that's substantial. Instant $3000 profit. Cash customers that know they're getting charged for it, they'd sometimes ask for a 3% discount and they'd get it-IF they asked for it. The vast majority paid and went on; with a lot of them in a rush to get in/out of that place for various reasons.

another business transaction that makes money is sales tax. If the combined local/state/federal tax is 10.015%, the business isn't gonna charge you $11.015 on a $10.00 charge, theyr'e gonna round it up to the nearest whole penny so figure $11.02. So after a month's worth of business, say a million, they rounded up and paid in 10.015%, and kept what they over-charged. That is insignificant in the grans scheme of things but it's nonetheless a profit that the business keeps and some could say that it's taking advantage of the consumer.
Every month that I send in the sales tax, we consistently come up short by a few dollars, because the state says you can only round down, not up and that is the way that the register company programs the registers. Realistically I don't care, because it is such a small amount on the total of sales. If it were not for the customer, we would close our doors. Started in 1973 and this year is our 50th year in business.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Seen a segment on the news last night, the report was about a city councilwoman stopping by a grocery store in Detroit and they the merchant would only accept plastic, no cash. During the last 2 yrs, I've been to a number of small restaurants and stores that charge an additional fees is one uses plastic to pay for food, store items, the store employees claim that due to the bank fees, they can't afford to not charge for it. I recently had dinner at a large restaurant and they too, charged a different amount depending on if one uses plastic to pay.
Is this something you are seeing in your area as well? Merchants are demanding that you pay using plastic and then charge an additional fee as well, is it because the fees are being passed on to the purchaser, what is the incentive to demand cash only or is it just greed?
Yes, I have seen this pop up now in mid michigan. Very frustrating as they already raised the prices and continue to raise them due to "supply issues". Had a local mexican place near me that didnt even accept cards since I've moved up here, and continued to raise prices to the point where I was paying 24 dollars for a buritto and chips and salsa. The place mentioned is not in a fancy area and really has no competition unless you drive 7 miles into town. There is also nicer very busy restaurants in the city who have raised prices and now are putting a 3.something percent charge if you use a card w/o informing you. I get maybe raising prices a bit on some items, but across the board raises plus a cc fee is overkill.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Every month that I send in the sales tax, we consistently come up short by a few dollars, because the state says you can only round down, not up and that is the way that the register company programs the registers. Realistically I don't care, because it is such a small amount on the total of sales. If it were not for the customer, we would close our doors. Started in 1973 and this year is our 50th year in business.
congratulations on 50 years!