Merchants demanding cash only for payment.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are some in my area that are now charging a CC surcharge. Gun dealers have been doing it for at least 20 years.

The title of the thread is wrong. ;)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Here, until very recently stores( aka 'merchants' ) could NOT charge if you more if you used a credit card. if they do now they MUST POST those fees.
Also, they(merchants) can NOT limit your cc purchase. If you have a CC limit of 10K, and 9500 is available, you CAN put 9500 onto your card even though the store says '1K limit'. If they refuse, call the CC company, while at the register and one of two things happen. 1- your purchase WILL be processed or 2- the merchant will be cut off from using that CC company. 5 or 6 times I've been told....every time #1 happens.
Good to know.
Wonder if that is an in Canada thing, or an everywhere thing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think we should go back to the barter system!
I have a couple dozen eggs, does someone have a Back Hoe bucket they would like to trade for it?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a couple dozen eggs, does someone have a Back Hoe bucket they would like to trade for it?
That’s done on some sites like CraigsList and others. But your offer illustrates why Cash is King because I can only use a dozen eggs and my bucket is worth a couple Thousand eggs….that I don’t have storage or other customers-for.

It also illustrates why gold, silver, diamonds, etc are no substitute for cash, and is largely just another scam that is foisted during uncertain times.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
It is kind of funny when looking at a credit/debit card as a benefit for customers when in reality a lot of times it is a benefit for both. Customers no longer have to worry about extra trips to the bank or carrying substantial enough cash to pay for a week's worth of stuff. Business do not end up with a large amount physical cash in registers/on site reducing risk for robberies (yes they still happen), which in turn reduces their insurance costs, plus they are more likely to make compulsion sales. It is harder to sell a $1.50 candy bar to someone if they have to consider the amount of cash they have on hand vs a card.

Last thing is a card is approved immediately/the money is guaranteed from visa or mastercard etc. vs having to worry about bad checks (if a business tries to cash too many not only are they out the money when it is rejected but some banks will stop transacting with them in general). There are a lot of upsides to businesses using card and the fees may add up but the question becomes what risk are you going to undertake, the loss of customers due to 3% higher prices, the loss of customers due to up charging after they are at the counter with a number in mind, increased risk of robbery from having a sign on the door advertising that paying in cash is preferred, or just taking the hit to fees and trying to drive more volume.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

There are many in my area that operate using the barter system, they are known a plain people among other things. If Jakie needs a wagon wheel he can pay with cabbages for example. They are much smarter than the rest of us who allow a third party to tax everything we do.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: CC purchase limit

Find on the internet the CC 'merchant' contract information (yeah that can be fun to find.....) or simply CALL your CC company. I assume the rules would be 'universal'.... as long as the purchase doesn't exceed your current 'available balance' ( limit-current purchases ), then your CC WILL allow the transaction.
Think about it, the CC WANTS you to 'max out' your card ....
The 'merchant' just wants to limit their cost of doing business, increase their profits.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can only use a dozen eggs and my bucket is worth a couple Thousand eggs….that I don’t have storage or other customers-for.
Well then, I'll throw a goat in to sweeten the deal!

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Did the 'math' over last weekend and it took me just 5 short years to pay off the BX23S from bartering. I didn't include fuel or filters...those are the cost of me having fun.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
As we turn from a cash society to a credit card society, we are giving up many forms of ambiguity. If you have followed the news lately, the government wants the credit card companies to notify them of monies spent on ammunition and guns.

The central government will then have control of all the money when we do away with cash. If they wish to raise taxes, they will simply go into your bank account and pull whatever percentage they deem necessary.

Small transactions, such as yard sales or the sale of your tractor and equipment, which now goes untaxed will become taxed.

The Chinese government is already using the cashless society to control their people. The wages are paid and tallied on their cell phone. The people use an app on your phone to make a purchase. The government will only allow the phone to work to buy things that they want you to purchase. So, if the government decides you don’t need something, they shut off the ability to purchase it.

I found it very interesting when I went to get a TWIC card, a government ID card that is required to enter the ports if you are a truck driver, you must purchase them with a credit card. The US Government will NOT accept cash for an ID card that you must carry if you wish to enter a port for delivery or pickup.

Last edited:

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
No "requirements" for plastic payment here. In Detroit, I have to assume that they require plastic payment in an effort to combat theft of cash from the establishment. Detroit, like most large liberal cities, have degraded into crime ravaged hellscapes. The criminals run rampant, with no consequences whatsoever. I wouldn't visit Detroit on a dare.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My price for the BH bucket is only 1-1/2 doz. eggs!
I don't want to be accused of gouging!

• Haha

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Farken He.LL guys. Apparently we will bitch about everything on here. I get the minor inconvenience, sure! But for farks sake…. Create a thread about it?
Historically businesses requesting cash only was either dodging the IRS so buyer be ware and they were clearly dodging taxes and so were you OR they just flat out don’t trust you. Look at you first.😉

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
There are some in my area that are now charging a CC surcharge. Gun dealers have been doing it for at least 20 years.

The title of the thread is wrong. ;)
You're correct, I re-read it and yea, it was wrong, should have been CC only.