Marvel Mystery Oil In D950?

MaineTree

Equipment
B8200
Oct 25, 2019
Bowdoin
www.foresttoshore.com
Hello, I recently purchased a B8200 which hadn’t had any maintenance performed in quite some time. I changed engine oil and transmission. I was working the tractor the next day and after about 1/2 hour the engine began knocking with the oil light on. I shut down immediately, waited a few minutes started up again and ran well for 10-15 min. Then the knocking again with oil light on. At that point I shut off again and waited. Then I just went back to the barn. A local diesel mechanic suggested adding a small amount of Marvin Mystery Oil to the engine and let the tractor run for a time. Then change oil and filter. He said krud may still be in the system and may impede oil getting where it needs to go. The Mystery oil would help clear out the krud. Can anyone confirm this or provide a different perspective? Thanks!

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Re: Marvin Mystery Oil In D950?

I havent dug into one of these before, but if its only acting up at a certain time and was previously neglected, perhaps the oil pump pickup screen is clogged?

You might try filling the crankcase entirely with diesel fuel overnight or longer. Rotate the engine by hand to get it everywhere. Dump it and add oil. Obviously dont run it during this time. If that doesnt work, id drop the pan.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Think you mean 'Marvel Mystery Oil' ......

Might work, might not. IMO just another snake oil elixir.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL

Marvel is a good product that’s been around for years. I think I would drop the pan unless it’s a major operation but probably be needed at some point. I’m thinking it’s full of crud or something is floating around and plugging the pick up. When you shut it off it releases it to float free until it gets sucked back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

Marvel is a good product that’s been around for years. I think I would drop the pan unless it’s a major operation but probably be needed at some point. I’m thinking it’s full of crud or something is floating around and plugging the pick up. When you shut it off it releases it to float free until it gets sucked back on

I agree- nothing wrong with Marvel. But, there are not fixes in a can. Chances are, you are better off exploring the problem, than adding a product and running it more. The knocking and oil light means that critical parts are not getting lubrication. You don't want to keep repeating that condition. There's a 5% chance that Marvel may help, and a 100% chance that opening it up and finding the problem will fix it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

MMO smells good and I use it in my air tools but that is about it. For a naptha based product it's overpriced. You can make your own at home with Dexron-Mercon (ATF) and VM&P naptha which you can buy by the gallon at any paint place.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
MMO will not fix the problem, you have a spun rod or main bearing.

STOP and fix it now before you end up with a junk motor!

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN

MMO smells good and I use it in my air tools but that is about it. For a naptha based product it's overpriced. You can make your own at home with Dexron-Mercon (ATF) and VM&P naptha which you can buy by the gallon at any paint place.
Did you forget you commented on this post previously?

MaineTree

Equipment
B8200
Oct 25, 2019
Bowdoin
www.foresttoshore.com
Thank you for all the good advice. Now I'm a bit leery of the additive. Would dropping the oil pan to clean out any crud be worth it or best to just seek help with bearing replacement? I've had the tractor for two weeks and would like to have it around for a lot longer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you for all the good advice. Now I'm a bit leery of the additive. Would dropping the oil pan to clean out any crud be worth it or best to just seek help with bearing replacement? I've had the tractor for two weeks and would like to have it around for a lot longer.
Sadly dropping the pan will only let you inspect the rod bearings, the mains you have to remove the motor and crank.

Pulling the engine and doing a rebuild would be the best bet.
Warning: rebuilding a kubota engine properly is not a cheap adventure, they run in the 2K range in parts and labor to do it.

I know I do enough of them, I have several here.

If you don't want to do it yourself or can't find anyone local to do a rebuild for you, I could help you out.

Philmont

Equipment
B6100
May 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
Sounds like the oil not getting back to the oil pan, you might want to pull the valve cover off to see if the galleys are open to drain the oil back down to the pan.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the oil not getting back to the oil pan, you might want to pull the valve cover off to see if the galleys are open to drain the oil back down to the pan.
If the were to happen, there would be a giant pool of oil on the ground as there is nothing to stop it from coming out of the vent. ;)

MaineTree

Equipment
B8200
Oct 25, 2019
Bowdoin
www.foresttoshore.com
An added dilemma. I did change the oil with a new NAPA filter. I figured it couldn't hurt either way. Well, I went to raise the bucket just to move the tractor back into place and the oil light came on. I put the bucket down and the light went off. Raised it 2-3" and it came on again? I had just changed the transmission/hydraulic fluid and cleaned the in-line screen. Should I drain the transmission and start again as well. Or maybe I bought a lemon...?? There didn't appear to be any Gremlins until I changed the fluids...

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
An added dilemma. I did change the oil with a new NAPA filter. I figured it couldn't hurt either way. Well, I went to raise the bucket just to move the tractor back into place and the oil light came on. I put the bucket down and the light went off. Raised it 2-3" and it came on again? I had just changed the transmission/hydraulic fluid and cleaned the in-line screen. Should I drain the transmission and start again as well. Or maybe I bought a lemon...?? There didn't appear to be any Gremlins until I changed the fluids...
Is the wire on the engine oil pressure switch or is it hanging beside it making intermittent contact with the block or some other conductor

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington

This is exactly what is going on. Pull pan.