M8540 a/c

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Local farmer brings his M8540 in every spring for service. It's at my shop now, did all the service and cleaning (nasty!), including the condenser and evaporator. I called him & told him I was finished and he said he forgot to ask me to look at the a/c as it wasn't cooling as good as it should.

Went to hook my gauges up after the servicing and noticed some oil around the compressor shaft seal. Hooked up anyway and sure enough, the charge is low. So I called him back, explained that the compressor is dying and really should be replaced. He says naw, just charge it and I'll get another season out of it. Sure. No problem.

Or actually there IS a problem! My 30lb cyl is low (nearly out) and not enough to do a complete recharge. So I run to the parts store and ask for another, 609 card in my hand (you have to have that now). Sure thing. $449 + tax.

I about FELL OVER! I asked the clerk, are you sure? He turns the screen around, and sure enough there it is. $449+ tax and it's the only option. I said ok hang on let me make a phone call.

Sir your tractor needs refrigerant. Because the US Government decided that I had to buy a license and they also decided to reduce the amount of refrigerant produced, the price has skyrocketed--I can do it no problem, but you need to be aware that 2 lbs of refrigerant is gonna run you $49.00 plus tax and labor. On the other end of the phone, you could hear pins dropping. Then some hollering! You're trying to rip my head off aren't you! Blah blah, blah. So I turned to the clerk, took a picture of his screen and sent it to my customer. I'm paying $490 (with tax) for 30 lbs of it and you're griping about $50?

12 oz cans are $29.00 each, BTW.

He said he'll take the doors off and put screens on. Seriously, not a bad idea. I might actually help him!

In 2019 May I bought the last 30lb cylinder at the same store for $78.00 and change with tax. What is that a 160% increase in price or something?

And--being certified, I stay up to date on the stuff. There is not currently a direct replacement for R134A. And for most vehicles that use R134A, there is no way to install all new components to make it R1234 compliant. So you are just screwed.

I am sorry to say, I have totally lost all trust in our leadership. 2015 was when SNAP was passed, and this was all part of SNAP.

So you guys in the biz, better get ready to jack the prices up on your a/c repairs.

Reactions: 1 user

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have been retired from the industry for some time but up here it was the law that if there was a leak in a refrigeration or air-conditioning system that the leak had to be repaired or taken out of service. Mobile systems such as automotive etc. got away with been able to be recharged if an effort was made in finding the leak such as using dye and a leak detector. If the unit came in a second time it had to be repaired.
Not sure on the style of compressor used on these tractors but I frequently replaced shaft seals on compressors including automotive style.
I think that one reason why the price of refrigerant is so high is to make it advantageous to have the system properly repaired.
If you think the price of 134a is high try purchasing the replacement for it (1234YF) used in new systems.
When I started in the trade refrigerant was $1.00 a pound and we used it for blowing dirt out of condensers when compressed air or a water hose was not available.

Reactions: 1 user

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
The last one I bought was July 2021. $130.00 out the door in the over taxed state of California. I am due for one. Can't wait. Delo 15W-40 if you can find it is up to over $20.00 a gallon from $12.00 a year ago.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You do know that Section 609 of the Clean Air Act was passed in 1990.
I'm pretty sure that passing that law didn't take this long to kick in and raise prices.

Prices of all chemicals across the board are up, there are a ton of reasons for this.
Look at paint, sealers, caulking, construction adhesive.
If you wanna get bent out of shape on prices look at OSB.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Feel for ya! I got my nice 609 cert in my wallet too. One shiny can of honeywell r1234yf sitting on the shelf at the tune of $50. Pisses me off every time I have to buy freon. Needless to say Im the one people look at funny with cases of r134 from atwoods when it goes on sale...

Come to think of it, I need to buy some 2x4's. I am sure that will put a smile on my face...

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
In the early '90s our local parts store had a R12 class for $20 and received the MACS 609 card.
Still valid.
Recall R134A @300 bucks around 2005-6.
Been stocking up the last few years.
Last year was $99.00
About a month ago,I heard the good deal was $275 each for 3 cylinders,but gone now.
R1234yf is like $700 for a 10# cylinder!