M7040 Fuel problem

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
IIRC the M7040 fuel tank vent hose is located by LH rear cab post. I once owned M4900 that engine would loose rpm's/die from lack of access to fuel. Local Kubota dealer service manager advised me to check for clogged screen in water seperater shutoff valve. Found screen to be clogged. i located/cleaned screen engine stopping problem was solved.

country53

Equipment
M8200 Kubota, M108S Kubota, JD 420C, JD50, IH 140, Deutz 4006, Deutz 6006,
Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I was having that problem, I found the water separator fittings to be plugged inside of manifold cleaned but then the fittings would leak air bought a new one everything is ok now

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
take separator off and take it apart. See if there is anything in the fittings. If there is, clean them.

ideally you'd do a fuel flow test using a nurse tank of some sort to keep the engine running while you test the rest of the system. Easy to do but for some reason many don't think about it, sometimes including seasoned technicians. They'd rather chase all sorts of "problems" that don't exist, injection pumps, injectors, primer pumps, tanks, etc. Couple hours later, they clean the separator, problem solved.

You would be surprised how many 30+ year techs I've seen that would get an engine in (diesel), with a noise or low power issue and immediately pull the pump off/out and send it off. $1000-$1500 later (plus labor), still same problem. People seem to think that because it's a diesel and its not running right, it's automatically got the most expensive problem possible. In my experience, it's almost always something simple, thus I tend to start with simple stuff FIRST, most of the time the problem is solved within an hour. About twice a year, have to replace a pump, about once every 3 years on average an injector or two. Honestly rare, and most of the time it's water or gasoline related.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
lugbolt
I agree that normally the KISS repair system will be the solution to many problems.

It never ceases to amaze the people that have hyd problems that choose not to perform any or very limited diagnostics & choose to replace a high $$$$$ hyd pump only to determine the hyd pump wasn't the problem.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my M7040 HDC. Did you ever resolve the issue? Can anybody tell me where the Fuel tank vent lines are located on an M7040 HDC? or Better post a photo. Thanks in Advance
So what did you find after investigating the fuel delivery system?

Hopefully after resurrecting a 7 year post, you'll report back on the root cause and solution.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my M7040 HDC. Did you ever resolve the issue? Can anybody tell me where the Fuel tank vent lines are located on an M7040 HDC? or Better post a photo. Thanks in Advance
Here is a link for the Kubota illustrated site. You will have to drill down to your tractor model/style. An open station may be a little different from a cab tractor.
Kubota USA

It has been persnickety lately so if it does not work you can always go through Messick's or Coleman's for the same info.

Clarkansas

Equipment
Kabota M7040D
Mar 28, 2021
Arkansas
This thread helped me solve a problem and I just wanted to say thanks and let others know what happened.
I noticed my separator bowl had a small crack and was allowing a tiny amount of air in while tractor was running. I ordered a new one. While I was at it, I changed fuel filter. Pumped bleeder pulp on top of filter and tried to start. Tractor didn’t want to start. Kept repeating steps for bleeding fuel line and tractor finally started. It ran like a top for about 3 minutes and died. The pump knob was tight tight to the top of the filter so I could tell there was a vaccum. I removed separator bowl and that relieved the pressure. Went through bleeding steps multiple times and I could tell there no fuel was getting to the engine. Finally I saw this thread. I removed the separator from the tractor. When I removed the line that’s from the tank, fuel flowed from it so I knew it wasn’t blocked. Right away, I noticed something in the separator where that line attaches. It was totally blocked. I blew it out with compresses air by blowing air up through the open separator valve opening (bowl is off at this point). After it was clear, I placed separator back on tractor. The bleeder pump felt completely different at that point and bled the fuel line with about 5 pumps. The tractor started on first try and runs great.
Many thanks!