M7040 Fuel problem

Catfish40

Equipment
M7040,L3400,4030SU,1860
Nov 6, 2012
Katy Texas
Hi, I could use some help with a problem that I am having with my M7040. It will run great for about 10 minutes & then dies. When it dies it sucks the primer pump down tight. After a few minutes the primer will return to its normal position. I pump it a few times & take it back to the barn. I have checked the fuel cap, cleaned the water seperator screen (it was clean) & replaced the fuel filter. The only thing that I can think of is maybe it is getting something in the fuel pick up tube. The tractor has 80 hours & is still under warranty but I would rather not haul it to the dealer if it is something simple. I bought this tractor for my dad who is 82 years old so that he could mow with AC. Instead he has been spending time walking back to the barn & leaving the tractor in the field until I can get out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does the 7040's have vent tubes for the fuel tank? My M9000 has them and dirt dobbers are bad to build in them and it makes the fuel system do strange things. It sounds like your's is pulling a vaccum on the fuel tank but I could be wrong.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
The only vent I spy on my tank runs from the top of the tank to the top (almost) of the filler tube. Next time you run it I would try breaking the fuel tank cap off perhaps a 1/4 turn or so and see it that makes a difference. Only other thing that comes to mind is a line that's crimped and or sucking down while running. The tank cap would be and easy fix if that's it.

Catfish40

Equipment
M7040,L3400,4030SU,1860
Nov 6, 2012
Katy Texas
Thanks for the replies. I tried running it with the fuel cap loose & it did the same thing. I'll try to take a look at the lines tomorrow.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It may be the primer itself going bad. I have heard of several here lately going bad and the tractors wouldn't run. It has been other brands but it still doing about the same thing as yours.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Even with low time on machine sounds like something in the fuel tank blocking fuel suction pickup.

Pinched fuel line to fliter?

Filter shutoff valve fully open?

Please post back and advise how resolved so we may all learn.

Huntex

Equipment
M9000 4wd Cab
Nov 8, 2012
Sour Lake, Texas
I am having the exact same problem with our M9000. It has over 2000 hrs on it and just started doing it a few weeks ago. It acts just like some old vehicles I've worked on that have a sock filter in the fuel tank. When you put a bind on the engine and ask for fuel the trash in the tank sucks up and clogs the sock, then you let it sit and the trash falls off. Then it will run a little while again.

Do these kubota tanks have sock filters?

Huntex

Equipment
M9000 4wd Cab
Nov 8, 2012
Sour Lake, Texas
The filler cap does not relieve the vacuum on the M9000 because it has left and right saddle bag tanks connected across bottom with a transfer hose. You fill one tank and suck out of the other. Don't know if the same is true on M7040.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Huntex, have you checked to see if the vent tubes are clean? It will have one on each side of the tractor. My 9000 has a problem with this every now and them. Dirt dobbers or something build in their and it causes lots of different problems with the fuel system.

Huntex

Equipment
M9000 4wd Cab
Nov 8, 2012
Sour Lake, Texas
Funny, I was thinking about that while I was writing the post. 2 tanks means 2 vents and I only checked one vent. I will go track down the other one this afternoon and see what happens.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mine are hooked to the tubing frame at the rear of the engine that the hood mounts to. The left side runs down behind the clutch linkage and the right side runs down behind the hydraulic plumbing.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Seems if it was the tank venting itself, you'd collapse the tank with that much suction. I'd start working the fuel lines back from the pump, it sounds like perhaps during dealer setup a fuel line is restricted or pinched someplace. Might have to get your fingers on it and follow it all the way back.

Catfish40

Equipment
M7040,L3400,4030SU,1860
Nov 6, 2012
Katy Texas
Thanks for all of the replies. Will try to check the lines this weekend. Hope I don't have to pull the tank since it has about 20 gallons of fuel in it.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Yeah, if the lines look fine, you might be needing to drain your fuel tank. I suppose also, you could try blowing back through the fuel pump supply line, use a nice piece of clear poly slid over the intake line. I would almost assume there is a strainer to prevent a bit of debris from plugging the intake. If it blows back without much resistance, lift the clear line you slid over the fuel supply line, suck the fuel up to the top and then start a siphon into a bucket, it should run freely and will be a higher flow rate than normal fuel. Its possible that there might even be a sliver of rubber from the fuel line assembly process wedged up against the pump intake barb.

Reiley

Equipment
M9000 DTC
Feb 17, 2013
Round Rock, TX
Just found this thread... got the same thing going on with my M9000 DTC. Any final fix yet? I take just pulling the vent lines off at the tank and blowing them out would work. Looks like the right side vent has some kind of a check valve inline on the right side?

Thanks,

Reiley

Catfish40

Equipment
M7040,L3400,4030SU,1860
Nov 6, 2012
Katy Texas
I ended up draining & pulling the tank on mine. I siphoned most of the fuel out & drained the rest out of the drain plug in the bottom of the tank. I poured all of the fuel thru a funnel with a screen in it & didn't find anything in the fuel. I poured the remainder of the fuel out once I got the tank out. I didn't see anything but I could have missed something. It's kind of hard to see everything that's coming out of the tank when you are trying to wrestle it around to get all of the fuel out of the openings. I blew out all of the fuel & vent lines with compressed air. I don't know if anything blew out of the lines since I was working on the opposite side of the tractor & I was working by myself. I put everything back together & have put about 10 hours on the tractor without any problems. I am hoping that it's fixed. I can only assume that there was something in the tank or lines causeing an intermittent blockage. It wasn't a fun job but it wasn't to bad. It took me about 2 or 3 hours working by myself including draining the fuel. I'll post back if it acts up again. Hope that this helps.

Rocketman

Equipment
Kubota M7040 HDC
Mar 6, 2017
Mobile, AL
Hi, I could use some help with a problem that I am having with my M7040. It will run great for about 10 minutes & then dies. When it dies it sucks the primer pump down tight. After a few minutes the primer will return to its normal position. I pump it a few times & take it back to the barn. I have checked the fuel cap, cleaned the water seperator screen (it was clean) & replaced the fuel filter. The only thing that I can think of is maybe it is getting something in the fuel pick up tube. The tractor has 80 hours & is still under warranty but I would rather not haul it to the dealer if it is something simple. I bought this tractor for my dad who is 82 years old so that he could mow with AC. Instead he has been spending time walking back to the barn & leaving the tractor in the field until I can get out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my M7040 HDC. Did you ever resolve the issue? Can anybody tell me where the Fuel tank vent lines are located on an M7040 HDC? or Better post a photo. Thanks in Advance