M6060 vs M7060 - where is the extra HP???

JoshuaTest

Equipment
2015 M6060 FEL
Sep 22, 2016
Smiths Grove, Ky
Guys hopefully i'm posting this in the correct area... I have done some searching and can't seem to come up with any tackling this question.

First off... I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 M6060 4WD FEL new last night... Pending finance paperwork of course, and trading in a John Deere 2440 FEL tractor. I have HILLS!!!! I had a 42HP before my JD, then the 60HP its rated at... the JD felt good on the hills but lack of 4WD made some areas still tough.

Anyway... on to the point here.

The M6060 and M7060 appear to have the exact same motor, turbo, frame... only thing i can see specs wise different is the 16.9x30 over 16.9x28 rears, as front combo is still the same on both... and what, 22lbs weight... i'm guessing this comes from slightly bigger rear wheels?

As odd as it may sound, i have been priced better on the two tractors in two different counties here... The 7060 only $200 more equipment the same in a different county, however way less trade in... or the $200 less with way more trade on my tractor. Which has lead me to the 6060.

obviously 10yrs down the road i feel the 70 would be worth slightly more, however i don't NEED the extra HP. If i expand and buy more pasture land and need bigger it won't be from 60-70 HP... And seeing as FEL work on either with the exact same frame, weight, and loader, there is nothing that the 70 can do the 60 can't.

But i still want to know where the HP comes from... In 3 years after warranty can i tune mine up? is there really an advantage of the 70 (outside of optional 12 speed) ?

I think for $1200-1500 more i can step up. But i'm struggling justifying it. Sure it will resell higher down the road, but even if it brings a grand more... well i paid that grand plus some so if i don't need the power its extra dough for no reason.

I've got to sign papers tomorrow so somebody talk some sense into me and give me some insight to settle my questions please lol

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
M7060 has a limited slip front axle, has the 12x12 trans as an option(get it)that 10 extra HP gets the same exact things accomplished, just faster. A 16.65% increase in HP can & will make a difference if you run your machine hard. If you just putt around, then no big deal.

As far as where the 10HP comes from, tuning which may include injector pump, injectors, cam, different electronics? I don't know, just listing some of the usual things off the top of my head.

If you can get the M7060 for only $1500 more, pretty much a no brainer to me.

Just my opinion ;)

Last edited:

JoshuaTest

Equipment
2015 M6060 FEL
Sep 22, 2016
Smiths Grove, Ky
Thanks... unfortunately the 7060 i've been priced was not a 12x12 unfortunately. We were looking at aged units for the additional 3% discount to get to these prices and this unit was a loaned out to state fair unit so its this one or pony up for difference.

I was not aware of the front LSD difference. 6060 is open front diff?

I need to dig into that difference.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The M6060 and M7060 appear to have the exact same motor, turbo, frame...

But i still want to know where the HP comes from... In 3 years after warranty can i tune mine up?
On the outside the motor can appear to be the same but they are not the same internally.
No you can not really just "up tune" these motors to get more HP, the more HP normally comes from differences in internal parts, but then again with newer tractors there could just be programming differences in the computer systems making the changes in HP output, still not user changeable.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Pretty much what they said, my M8540 is essentially identical in engine, frame etc. as the M9540; same with several other models. Just about anything can be done as to getting more HP, but it's rarely easy or cheap.

I love the 12/12 and LSD. We use to routinely get our Case CX80 with open front differential, but have not gotten the LSD tractor stuck in five years of use.

It's often hard to tell how much HP is "enough" unless you've owned one. My father in law traded his 70HP in on an 80HP in only a couple of weeks as it would bog down on the highway with even slight inclines and had to drop a gear when bush hogging on hills.

JoshuaTest

Equipment
2015 M6060 FEL
Sep 22, 2016
Smiths Grove, Ky
Thanks guys...

So I talked to some techs today... Both claim the HP is strictly fuel injection related... Which I thought to be the case.

I have the dealer digging up some numbers and trying to locate a aged 7060 with the 12x12, but so far everything he's found isn't old enough... My 6060 I started with was a dealer locate so I don't believe the dealer is just trying to keep me in that one. It isn't even on lot yet.

It appears the price difference in the 12x12 is going to be a pretty penny... Not sure I can justify another $2500'ish. I'm already going well beyond my desired cost. Not to mention the 6060 was me upgrading from shopping for the 5660 initially

JoshuaTest

Equipment
2015 M6060 FEL
Sep 22, 2016
Smiths Grove, Ky
Well guys...

I had spent many hours in panic over if my 6060 choice over 7060 was the right one. But ultimately decided to go with my original plan (which was an upgrade from the 5660 btw).

My tractor came on lot today from dealer transfer. But had 14.9 rear tires!!!!

This option was for one, not even an option to my knowledge... But two, a main reason I didn't like the 5660.

Well long story short, he found me a 7060 minus the extra remote (this one only equipped with one remote in rear) but with the 12x12... Priced $1200 more. I got that difference to $700 and bought it.

I don't need he extra rear remote at this point. Perhaps a hay rake one day... I don't own a batwing mower....

I figure I can always add additional remote... But I can't add 12x12, LSD, and HP later.

She will be delivered next week

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Congratulations, I think you will really be happy with it.

JoshuaTest

Equipment
2015 M6060 FEL
Sep 22, 2016
Smiths Grove, Ky
Thanks guys... Looking at Wednesday or Thursday of next week delivery...

It's on a lot only an hour away... I went and checked it out to make sure today, and I feel good about it. It should be on the lot I'm purchasing from on Monday. I'm having rears widened out to about the center of rear 16.9 tire to the edge of the fender, and of course fluid filled before delivery.

This is one hell of an update from my 1979 John Deere 2440!

I will say, it will take some time to get used to the shuttle shift compares to the JD's reverser! My JD reverser doesn't have a neutral spot, and no pulling up to move forward or back... I can give the clutch a light tap, pull handle back and I'm in reverse.

I will be used to it soon enough! Wish I hadn't just bushogged! Nothing worse than a new toy and no job to do! May bushhog my neighbors connecting pasture just to give it a spin on delivery day!

Now I wait!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Congratulations. If you can bush hog your neighbors pasture it would be a good way to break the engine in.

dirtymax02

Jun 13, 2017
Bangor Maine
Hi guys, I had the same question as Joshua and decided to do some digging for myself.

I went to the kubota parts website and printed off the engine parts sheet for an M7060 and an M6060. I went line by line and what I found was they are identical engines all the way through, top to bottom. All components are the same part #'s including all fuel parts. This leads me to believe that the only difference in the two as far as HP is the ECM tuning. Any of you that own a diesel pickup know that it doesn't take much to gain 16% HP with the correct tuner.

My question now is what will it take to get it tuned? Has anyone heard of an EFI live for Kubota's? :D

cavjock23

Equipment
M6060,709 pull shredder, offset disk, Pallet forks, Box Blade
Apr 9, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi guys, I had the same question as Joshua and decided to do some digging for myself.

I went to the kubota parts website and printed off the engine parts sheet for an M7060 and an M6060. I went line by line and what I found was they are identical engines all the way through, top to bottom. All components are the same part #'s including all fuel parts. This leads me to believe that the only difference in the two as far as HP is the ECM tuning. Any of you that own a diesel pickup know that it doesn't take much to gain 16% HP with the correct tuner.

My question now is what will it take to get it tuned? Has anyone heard of an EFI live for Kubota's? :D
That's pretty neat research... I assume it's going to take downloading engine/fuel software...