M5-091 2016 blows the 100 amp fuse

Newbie farmer

Equipment
M5-091, baler, disc mower, ZD1011, rtv
Oct 28, 2016
Brenham, Texas
I bought the M5-091 tractor in April 2016 and minimally used it. At 50 hours, the battery went dead and I noticed that the working lights and the top headlights were not working. I charged the battery and the engine started up fine. But then the emission control system started acting up and went up to level 4 and gave Engin error which probably was P0254. I could not regenerate without clearing the ertor first. Until this point I had used the tractor to mow about 20 acres and did baling . So, I called the Kubota dealer to check the tractor and fix it under warranty. They picked up the tractor on Monday and after several calls learned today (Friday) that the 100 amp fuse was blown and the battery was not holding the charge. They ordered the fuse ehich will arrive next week. They have not been anle to figure why the lights were not working and the battery was not holding the charge. The engine appears to work OK. This is my first tractor and am worried if I have a lemon at my hand. It appears that I may not get back the tractor for several weeks and not sure if the shop can get to the source of this trouble. Will appreciate any advice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Usually when high value fuses are involved it's an issue with the alternator.

I would think they will get it sorted out and get you back to work. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Keep every piece of paper work you have and get everything in writing the dealer will give you. Keep up with all the dates and make notes of every conversation you have with anyone about your tractor. If something else acts up don't wait, make the calls and keep the records.

If you did buy a lemon you'll need all the CYOA proof you can come by. I hope they fix it but it never hurts to be prepared for the worst.

Newbie farmer

Equipment
M5-091, baler, disc mower, ZD1011, rtv
Oct 28, 2016
Brenham, Texas
After one week of waiting, the service manager told me that the tractor runs fine after replacing the 100 amp fuse. The work lights did not work because they are wired through the radio connection which had a blown fuse also. They replaced the radio fuse and lights are working again. Last thing, the battery is charging and did not lose charge over night, which means the alternator is fine. On replacing the 100 amp fuse, all errors havev also disappeared . They tested the tractor by running it twice for thirty minutes each and everuything looked fine. I am relieved that all is well, but not knowing the root cause of the blown charge fuse is a little unsettling. My own hunch is that washing the tractor with pressure washer may have shorted the fuse or something else. Thanks all for your comments.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I personally believe that there is an underlying cause of a blown 100A fuse, and here's why. Water can't conduct enough current to short a 100A fuse to ground. A few milliamps, maybe, but to cause a 100A fuse to burn takes a BIG short-to-ground condition. Like a loose alternator wire, or a wire pinched at some point.

I hope they have it figured out and I hope you don't have any more issues with it. These new M5 tractors are NICE but man, are they complicated.

scudman

Equipment
M9960D
Sep 12, 2021
lv.nv
I personally believe that there is an underlying cause of a blown 100A fuse, and here's why. Water can't conduct enough current to short a 100A fuse to ground. A few milliamps, maybe, but to cause a 100A fuse to burn takes a BIG short-to-ground condition. Like a loose alternator wire, or a wire pinched at some point.

I hope they have it figured out and I hope you don't have any more issues with it. These new M5 tractors are NICE but man, are they complicated.
I know this is a little late, I have aM9960D that blew the 100 amp fuse. I had a battery with 2 dead cells and I tried to boost it to start it. When I replaced the battery, the alternator would not charge. That is when I found the blown fuse....No problems since....Good luck with your M5

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You should remove/clean/inspect ALL the various ground connections, especially the battery connections. If the cables aren't the molded ones, ANY corrosion can, over time cause 'weird and not wonderful' problems. I don't know the age of your tractor but electrical 'problems' never get better.....unless YOU find and fix them.