Low oil pressure shutdown?

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I have L4701 that had a new engine put in last year under warranty. I was clearing some brush this weekend and without realizing it a branch knocked the oil filter loose. I look down and see the low oil pressure light on. I drive it 100 yards to trailer. Put 4 quarts in and take to dealer. Dealer said engine has knock at high rpm and I need a replacement for 22k. How does an engine that cost that much not have a kill switch for low oil when a $300 water pump has a low oil kill switch? I’m floored. Now looking at getting it overhauled no way I can afford a 22k engine for a tractor I bought for 28k. It’s a 2019 if that matters?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just as puzzling to me …is why an owner would drive 100 yds after noticing an oil pressure light on. That had to be thousands of revolutions of an engine with low oil pressure.
Sorry this happened to you.

Reactions: 3 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I believe that many dealers no longer do internal engine work and simply swap out the entire engine. You may have damaged internal parts but I would want to see each and every one before making a decision. If you can't do a tear down yourself find a real mechanic willing to do the work.

Reactions: 1 user

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Thanks for the responses. I honestly didn’t know what the symbols was. I had to go look it up. I’m most surprised that Kubota engines don’t have a low oil or oil pressure automatic shutdown? How is that possible?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks for the responses. I honestly didn’t know what the symbols was. I had to go look it up. I’m most surprised that Kubota engines don’t have a low oil or oil pressure automatic shutdown? How is that possible?
Well…as I think about it…the only engines that I am familiar with…are those that have NO Oil Pressure Indicator…. and that is why I presume they have low oil level shut-down.
I don’t know of any that have low oil pressure shut down.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
They provide an owners manual and expect the customer to read it and understand it. In the future if oil light is on to turn the engine off immediately. Do you have KTAC insurance on it? Do you have any insurance on it? I know I replaced an engine for an insurance company that the owner tried to cross a small creek river and had water over the hood. You could call your insurance agent and see if it is covered.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Well…as I think about it…the only engines that I am familiar with…are those that have NO Oil Pressure Indicator…. and that is why I presume they have low oil level shut-down.
I don’t know of any that have low oil pressure shut down.
I guess but when your doing work on the tractor your not always looking down at the panel. Seems like a horrible design flaw to me for such an expensive piece of equipment. I was hoping someone would come on and tell me it should have shutdown but I guess it’s not equipped with that feature.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
They provide an owners manual and expect the customer to read it and understand it. In the future if oil light is on to turn the engine off immediately. Do you have KTAC insurance on it? Do you have any insurance on it? I know I replaced an engine for an insurance company that the owner tried to cross a small creek river and had water over the hood. You could call your insurance agent and see if it is covered.
I gurss so but who remembers all the symbols. I obviously know now. No go on insurance I already called.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Does anyone have any experience with a rebuild? I’m thinking that’s my only option.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yeah…perhaps something could be made up such as I did for my parking brake…. I got tired of making the same mistake of trying to operated the tractor with the parking brake applied…. so I added a loud audible SonAlert which has an annoying ”Beep-Beep-Beep” when the parking brake lever is applied. (Sounds like a back-up warning on construction equipt.)
It wouldn’t be difficult….all it would require is a cheap automotive relay activated by the power supplied to the low pressure lamp….the relay would then also supply power to the audible warning.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Does anyone have any experience with a rebuild? I’m thinking that’s my only option.
A rebuild is only as good as the mechanic doing it, you don't get a lumberjack to build a piano.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Rebuilt a lot of engines, just none in a tractor, but, the principal is the same. Just to far away for me, hopefully other members will chime in.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I’m just wondering if most people rebuild them? I guess I figured tractors might be different but I guess principal is the same. Thanks everyone been a heck of a day.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota engines are fairly easy rebuilds for me, but I've got a few years of experience.
It can be done DYI, just going to take a little more time.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I’m not mechanically inclined will definitely be paying someone just trying to gather as much information as I can. Still can’t believe it didn’t shutdown. I think that should be standard but obviously I’m in the minority.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
How bad IS the “Knock”...which the dealer says exists.? Can you hear it? Can you record an audio-file for us to listen to it?

Have you cut open the oil filter to see if any metal is in it …and what type of metal…if any?

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’m not mechanically inclined will definitely be paying someone just trying to gather as much information as I can. Still can’t believe it didn’t shutdown. I think that should be standard but obviously I’m in the minority.
"Should be standard"?
Does your car engine have automatic low oil pressure shutdown?

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I don’t know but given a $300 Honda water pump does just doesn’t seem like a big ask? Now I do t know squat about engines so maybe there is a lot to it I don’t know. I know my boat has one as well. I just figured with today’s technology seems like a no brainer to protect the most important piece of the tractor.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Not trying to get in an argument just a trusting situation which seem preventable.