Low oil pressure shutdown?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have never worked at a Kubota dealership, but when I worked at an automotive dealership the flat rate hours were considerably different between what "warranty time" pays and what "customers pay".

For instance, If a trans rebuild for a car under warranty paid 7 hours from warranty, a "cash customer" would pay 12 or 13 hours.....(just a made up scenario)

That still doesn't account for 6K, but just sayin.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I had a different experience working in the early ‘70s at Toyota dealerships. The Flat-Rate was the same regardless of warranty or customer-pay. It was “true” that once you figured out “short-cuts” you could beat the flat-rate on some items….but not all. For instance, the early ‘70s Corolla suffered from leaking head-gaskets which would run oil down the bell-housing and onto the ground. F-R paid 4-hours to change that gasket because the factory instructions had you using hand-tools (when we all actually used pneumatic impact wrenches) to disassemble things, and the FR had you disconnect the exhaust manifold from the head and the intake manifold from the head…when actually you could remove only the exhaust man and leave the intake and carb bolted to the head and lift them out of the way as a unit. I got to where I could do a complete head gasket in 45-minutes and got paid 4-hours. I loved it when I could go to the time-clock and choose the jobs I performed…I’d grab all the head-gasket jobs and do ten a day.
Then the svc-manager figured me out…and started assigning jobs on a random basis... and I’d get the “sheit-jobs” in a more fair system to all. (A rear axle pinion-ring whine….a common thing on the early Coronas…. paid 2.5 hours but took 5 hours if you did it correctly because you had to use a “master” calibration jig to set bearing pre-loads using an analog inch-pound torque wrench…an extremely tedious operation…then re-assemble the rear axle. If you got two of those jobs in one day then you’d be working overtime but getting paid for only 5 hours.
(Eventually, Toyota rec’d enough complaints from technicians that they sent a selected few to “axle school” …and only graduates of the factory axle-school got those jobs which then paid 5 hours. (The week at the factory school paid you 40 hours plus a per-diem and you were in an air conditioned classroom and didn’t have to get dirty that week.)

Last edited:

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I have L4701 that had a new engine put in last year under warranty. I was clearing some brush this weekend and without realizing it a branch knocked the oil filter loose. I look down and see the low oil pressure light on. I drive it 100 yards to trailer. Put 4 quarts in and take to dealer. Dealer said engine has knock at high rpm and I need a replacement for 22k. How does an engine that cost that much not have a kill switch for low oil when a $300 water pump has a low oil kill switch? I’m floored. Now looking at getting it overhauled no way I can afford a 22k engine for a tractor I bought for 28k. It’s a 2019 if that matters?
Sorry to say, a much better choice would to have been shut tractor down immediately, walk the 100 yds back, get needed oil, walk back and add. Expensive lesson learned. Might want to get a second opinion on repairs.