Low oil pressure shutdown?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yeah but when that light comes on and your significant other keeps driving and it siezes up or grenades on the interstate at 70 MPH the result is very similar. Some sort of limp mode seems to be a modern and appropriate way of dealing with these scenarios.

I know for a fact my two daily drivers (BMW 3 series) do that for cooling failures.. You get a VERY loud and persistent alarm and about one minute grace to pull over before power gets chopped to about 10%. At that point it will shutdown if temps keep going up.

My son just had the same scenario with transmission overheating due to lubrication failure on his POS Ford Focus. It initially goes to limp and then shuts off entirely. Turns out thats a chronic problem with the double clutches in those cars. Fortunately he had wartanty coverage that paid the $12K repair bill.

Dan
A limp mode would be a good way to address low oil pressure. It would increase costs of course.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Man, it would be bad to have an oil pressure/ level sensor that shut off an engine. There is a reason they don't do that.
Exactly right. The very nature of tractor use dictates it be reliable and NOT inadvertently shut down during operation due to a faulty sensor, break in that circuit or going up an incline when you are quart low on oil (Low Oil Level Shut Down).

Nothing 'bad' is going to happen if your pressure washer stops because of low oil level. It isn't practical to put a warning light on small engines. But the same can't be said for diesel engines in most applications.

It is incumbent upon the operator to be aware of operating conditions at all times. Yup, you actually have to pay attention.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A limp mode would be a good way to address low oil pressure. It would increase costs of course.
As a programmer by profession I dont see that as much of an expense. It also probably more than pays for itself in warranty savings pretty quickly. Given my experience with the overheating situation I suspect its already a done deal. Fortunately loss of lubrication does not seem to be a problem with BMWs so i cant say for sure 🤔

Dan

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
As a programmer by profession I dont see that as much of an expense. It alsi probably more than pays for itself in warranty savings pretty quickly. Given my experience with the overheating situation I suspect its already a done deal. Fortunately loss of lubrication does not seem to be a problem with BMWs so i cant say for sure 🤔

Dan
I am also a programmer, and no, the logic part is easy enough. The application would require more than a simple analog input and slinging some code at it. Depending on the tractor, it would have to be upgraded with an electronic governor or other aspects of the fueling system. There is the real cost.
Modern vehicles are a different animal. Most are already fly by wire. My truck starts limping if EGT or ECT get too high. But it's already electronically controlled everything. My Kubota is not.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am also a programmer, and no, the logic part is easy enough. The application would require more than a simple analog input and slinging some code at it. Depending on the tractor, it would have to be upgraded with an electronic governor or other aspects of the fueling system. There is the real cost.
Modern vehicles are a different animal. Most are already fly by wire. My truck starts limping if EGT or ECT get too high. But it's already electronically controlled everything. My Kubota is not.
My Kubota is.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
high tech method...

For about $25 Cdn, you could hookup the sensor to a transmitter that sends a signal to your smartphone. An 'app' on it would then blast 'Shut off the tractor NOW' into your earbugs, then return to whatever music you have playing...

low tech method...
Get into the habit to visually scan the entire dashboard every few minutes. Something every pilot is taught and becomes second nature.
Instrument scanning......learned that in a simulator..... Pensacola 1962!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm $6000 labour... say $200 per hour(2 guys working...) is 30 hours....10 hrs to remove loader and 'stuff', 10 hrs to swap out/in, 5 hrs final connections and fluids, 5 hrs coffee and cleanup ???
Have no idea if there's a cab or loader on the tractor or how easy to 'split'. Providing you have the proper tools and a warm,bright shop it still sounds like they're inflating the actual job.

Curious.Do tractor shops have 'time books' or whatever they're called. XX hours for oil change, yyy hours for rad R+R ' ???

I know local body shop sent insurance and $8K bill for a $1K accident.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Kubota FRS (Flat Rate Schedule) shows 10.0 hrs to R&R the engine, probably add 1.5 hrs for loader and brackets R&R.
Your coffee fix is on your own time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Well , a Factory trained PROFESSIONAL tractor mechanic ,in a proper shop with adequate tools should be able to do it then !
The first time I split a tractor(clutch ), it took me 4 hours after I'd made a gantry crane to support 1/2 the tractor, had no manual or 'how-to-videos' so how $6K figure came up I'd love to know.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is rare that any mechanic can beat the flat rate hours unless that is all that he does and becomes extremely proficient at the required tasks.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
i think the light is sufficient. Small engine, stuff electric generators pressure washers wood splitters have been using low oil shutoffs for years. If they were a good idea for tractors it would already be installed. Can you imagine being out on the roads say going down a huge hill with a corner upcoming and your tractor just shuts off. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna lose steering. Don’t think my tractor would be too fun to get it around that corner. Hopefully it’s not winter and I can stop with the brakes. Probably a pretty long shot and maybe the loss of power would bring me to a hard stop. Also probably wouldn’t be fun or safe if cars or trucks behind me. I’m sure it’s a safety thing. Only thing I want shutting down the tractor when I’m using it is me with the key. The light works and if you need more warning then I guess maybe that buzzer. Just my two cents.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Being stuck at the side of a road is 'ok' compared to back of a 100ac parcel, 4 bottom plow deep in the ground and THEN computer says to shut off the engine !!!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Being stuck at the side of a road is 'ok' compared to back of a 100ac parcel, 4 bottom plow deep in the ground and THEN computer says to shut off the engine !!!
If the computer doesnt shut it down the engine will do it for you and charge you $12k for the service. When that low oil pressure light comes on you are dead in the water - period. At that point its simply a matter of limiting engine damage.

Dan

Last edited: