Love expressed by animals

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
“If you take a dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.
That is the chief difference between the man and the dog.”
—-Mark Twain

Reactions: 1 user

DevilDog

Equipment
L3540 HST3, 72" Woods Rear Finishing Mower, L3584" Land Pride BB, 72" York Rake,
Feb 1, 2011
upstate N.Y.
Handsome! I've got 2 Tervs and had a Groenendale until recently. That darned old age thing. This breed lives to 15 plus or minus. I'd like a Mal, but most have an energy level too high for me these days.
Believe me when I say this, that you are correct about the energy level of the Belgian Malinois, there engery level is off the charts, so future perspective owners beware. They are not a dog to sit or sleep all day, they need to be worked either work or play many times a day. Im 72 and in pretty good shape for that age but sometimes I ask myself if I should Have gotten Ekky, I love her and she keeps me going even when I did"t want to. She puts my old Dobby to shame as far as energy, I have to stop her from playing caue she would'nt stop.

DevilDog

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Believe me when I say this, that you are correct about the energy level of the Belgian Malinois, there engery level is off the charts, so future perspective owners beware. They are not a dog to sit or sleep all day, they need to be worked either work or play many times a day. Im 72 and in pretty good shape for that age but sometimes I ask myself if I should Have gotten Ekky, I love her and she keeps me going even when I did"t want to. She puts my old Dobby to shame as far as energy, I have to stop her from playing caue she would'nt stop.

DevilDog
Yes I am a bit older than you are, and even though the Belgian Tervuren are a little less intense than the Mal, I have said that I didn't want to start another puppy. Except those Terv puppies are so darn cute. You can pretty much count on 3 or 4 years of intense training and socializing to have a wonderful companion. If you have the energy and desire to want to do agility, herding, tracking etc it is fun. The Belgians are incredibly smart, and want a job to do. If you don't keep them busy they may amuse themselves in ways that you might not like. I am hoping that a middle aged dog that needs a home will come along when my present 2 pass away. I can't imagine being dogless.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Don’t let the angel eyes fool you…there is a devil in there.
C6CDC75A-0F2A-480E-9F5D-964AF489056C.jpeg

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have cats like that. We have a new addition, he was born outside in a corn field and visited looking for food. We fed him and a bunch of others, but he was the only one who was friendly and would come right up to us, and let us touch him, but would scurry away quickly. We caged him and got him fixed on the TNR and let him go. After a few weeks he got more and more friendly and as a test I let him in.
He found a spot and laid down, let us pet him, used the litter box, and over a few weeks let us pick him up. Now he comes running in the morning when we leave the bedroom to say good morning, lays on my lap at night when I watch TV, plays with our other cat.

He was once a Feral cat, but you couldn't see that in him now if you tried. He is on my bed right now and when I walk past he rolls on his back and stretches and looks at me saying rub my belly. I taught him how to take treats from my fingers without biting and does a prairie dog too.

yeah I got a cat like that

when I moved here I spent a couple years by myself (no animals other'n the goats, and of course the wilder animals). Thought I might want a dog. I like dogs. Yep. Well, it's just me, and I'd hate to burden any of the family to have to come over once a day and feed it, and let it out to go poo/pee. Then I am known to jump in the truck and head to the coast with no warning, last minute and stay the weekend. I couldn't leave a dog by itself like that for 2 or 3 days. I'd have HUGE disaster to clean up when I got home, that is, after getting licked to death. So I got a cat. Little pure white female cat that the boy across town had. Was 5 wks old when I got it, wild as could be, would bite HARD if you picked it up, ran away often, etc. Anyway I had her fixed, shots, etc. About a year later it didn't come a running when I ran out there with the feed bag which I thought was odd. Figured it was off chasing a rabbit or something like cats sometimes do. Jumped on the tractor to go cut the yard and I seen white fur scattered all over near a tree. Looked like an owl got it? Dunno. I wasn't really attached to the little cat so I just went ahead and finshed the tractoring. Then got another one, tuxedo cat...good'un! Friendly, way too playful, climb all over you, etc. Stayed in the shop. I woke up one night in the spring to a noise outside and it was being carried off by a coyote. Maybe that's what got the white one, dunno. Didn't get no more cats or dogs for a while. Sold all of the stock too much of a pain for one person to deal with, considering I had 3 jobs at the time. Quit one, kept the business and work a full time. In 2017 the lady down the way had an ad on the marketplace she had a litter that had attempted to cross the highway (about 60,000 cars a day right there...) and all but one didn't make it across the street. Momma, bunch of little ones, dead. This lady owns a doggy day care deal. The one left was an orange tabby, roughly 5 weeks old. I said why not but I'll keep it inside. She said it was a girl which I think something like 80% of orange cats are boys so I kinda got excited. Nope she turned out to be a he. Long haired redhead JERK. But great company. he's all fixed up, up to date on shots, etc. I feed him good food and made him an automatic watering deal that he just walks up to, stands on a little wood plank with a pressure switch and he drinks out of running water. When it was real young I found out that he prefers the sink water I figured because it was running (or dripping) water. I was right. So I made him that deal. Uses the litter box just fine. I leave him some food and a gallon of water in the deal, and I can run off for a few days without worry. Keeps the critters in the house down (ants crickets wasps a snake or two, etc). When it's bed time, he tells me so....about 11pm if I'm doing something somehow it knows time, and he nips at my foot/ankle and then runs toward the bedroom, stops at the corner and looks back like "aren't you coming?" Then when I do get in the bed he'll climb up next to me and purr til we both fall asleep. In morning, every morning at 0430, little jerk licks my face and climbs all over my chest...like "hey dude it's time to get up...and FEED ME!!" Like clockwork.

OH by the way, he's 21 lbs. Vet says she thinks it might be a maine coon "mix" based on his size among other things. When he tries to lay on your chest, there is NO mistaking it.

Good company. Getting over the kitten stage was less than fun though but we are past that now. Nowadays the worst that happens is the morning routine and then being attacked from around a corner or behind a bed/wall whatever when it's crazy time twice a day. Ain't no big deal though.

Wanted a heeler but just couldn't. Glad I got the cat. I ain't never had a heeler that lived longer than 8-10 years and they all had hip trouble at some point. And, unpredictable at times I had one attack the neighbor kid aggressively and did some damage to the ankle. Never once ever was aggressive to me, family, friends, anyone. I don' t know what set him off.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
My wife called my boy Keegan, “Devil dog”. He could turn it on and turn it off. In this pic he is only barking for his toy reward. He passed away way to young to cancer and I miss him terribly.

6382792B-1DE6-4C3B-BFAA-6A3F3C8832D8.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
He was an excellent squirrel chaser, and could swim like a lab. He always went to the deep water. Once tuckered out he would settle right in…

9910A1D7-93B8-4E1B-BFDB-AB83ADC0F662.jpeg

20DC1732-9524-452C-B310-535B92F9B62B.jpeg

560992B7-1179-4D07-9717-F74B7A0CEB44.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My sister had a black cat she had bottle fed. Sam wouldn't just bring his prey to the doorstep - he'd dissect it.
I went to their house once, and there on the door mat were a squirrel's organs - eye, lung, heart - laid out clean as a whistle. No carcass, just the organs. Wish I could find the picture.

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I don’t know what you guys are talking about.

D75C3826-F52A-463A-A564-9CA5ADE1FE76.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users