Lost a tire today, now what?

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Somehow got a flat on the rear of my 2620 today - R4 tires. Very weird - I thought the hydro had gone out, but turned out the tire was spinning in the rim apparently as I was going no where. Used the front wheel drive to get home. I panicked, as I thought I had blown out something on hydro and the mess everywhere was tranny fluid. I managed to limp it back into the shed and started looking at the manual to see where the plugs were - I figured with all that black stuff everywhere, I had lost the plug to the transmission. Going back out later, I finally realized the mess was the rim guard fluid and the tire was just flat.

I bought this used, so I don't know if there is a tube in there that went bad, or if they fill them without tubes. I will pull it off and get it to the tire shop, but wondered if anyone knew how these typically come from the dealer?

Thanks,
Tim

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
no tubes, air valve replaced with fluid rated valve. fluid filled tire can look full with only a few psi of air. I try to check my pressure at least once per year

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yuck, man I bet it's a mess....probably not fun to clean off ?

really need to check tire pressure at least once a month. A tire can lose 1/2 the PSI, not look much different ,then just need to hit the tire 'funny', pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, long walk home.
Tubes are far better at keeping air in than rubber tire on steel rim. There is a 'bead sealer'( sticky black goop ) you should use, it fills in the 'microvoids' between rim and tire.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I had a similar issue. I had to take the wheel to Farmers co-op and get it remounted, cost me sixteen bucks. Unless there’s no puncture, you probably just let the pressure get to low. PITA cuz the weight of it.

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I keep a tire thumper next to my tractors and check tires each every use as I wait for the engine warms up and stabilizes. Tires too wickedly expensive IMHO to frack up and too heavy to want to make repairs.
3 thumps a tire in less than couple of seconds and easy to tell if low on air. Not absolutely accurate but darn good indication whether I need to pull out a gauge. Just part of my std. walk around

1707103469138.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Most likely you lost air pressure over time, then with cold weather it dropped even more to the point that the tire could not hold a grip on the rim. Try blowing it back up and if it will reseat on the rim, then monitor it for a few days and see what happens.

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Thanks everyone. I do realize now that I should have been checking the pressure - I have to do that fairly often with the front ones, but never checked the rear ones. I've been spoiled by my big tractors with tubes never really leaking down. Will put a tube in this time if they can do it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Also, check the entire bead surface of the rim for damages in the powder coat 'paint'. Every nick, slice, cut no matter how small can let water in, rust forms and air can escape over time

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Tires are not “impermeable”. While thick and heavy tractor tires have more wall-thickness which makes it more difficult for escaping air-molecules … the molecules will eventually escape to the lower-pressure-atmosphere.… regardless of cracks in rim paint, etc. Schrader valves are also mechanical devices that dirt/dust affect and have miniature sealing-surfaces subject to air-loss.

This should be a lesson to All of Us who have become complacent about tire-pressures. (and dipsticks, reservoirs, etc)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Somehow got a flat on the rear of my 2620 today - R4 tires. Very weird - I thought the hydro had gone out, but turned out the tire was spinning in the rim apparently as I was going no where. Used the front wheel drive to get home. I panicked, as I thought I had blown out something on hydro and the mess everywhere was tranny fluid. I managed to limp it back into the shed and started looking at the manual to see where the plugs were - I figured with all that black stuff everywhere, I had lost the plug to the transmission. Going back out later, I finally realized the mess was the rim guard fluid and the tire was just flat.

I bought this used, so I don't know if there is a tube in there that went bad, or if they fill them without tubes. I will pull it off and get it to the tire shop, but wondered if anyone knew how these typically come from the dealer?

Thanks,
Tim
Have you considered airing the tire up and watching it before doing anything else?

Have you found a puncture, or did you simply, as mentioned above, let the air drop to the point the tire flexed enough to let the rim guard leak out past the bead?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Had the same thing happen on my BX22 many years ago. I took the tire off laid it down on the concrete, and then broke the bead on the top side. Use some sandpaper to ruff up the powder coat on the inside edge of the rim. Then I put air into it and blew it up to seat the bead. Doing one side was enough to keep it from happening again. If you are going to refill with Rim Guard, have the tire dismounted and do both sides of the inside of the rim.