Loss of power...would it be....?

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
Hi Everyone,

ok, I realise this is all about - "how long is a piece of string", but wanted your opinion.

I have a B2100 with 1300 hrs on it which has been regularly serviced, BUT...I have loss of power when I use the deck for cutting grass longer than about 3inches or head up hills etc. The rear PTO does the same when I use a flail. This has been getting worse day by day.

I have asked the dealer repeatedly to look into this and the latest effort has been to clean the injectors, with absolutely no discernible change.

What has been done:
new air, fuel filters, oil

we have put in new fuel, check for air locks and water...

Q1: I have a hydraulic leak - not a bad one but it's in two places - both towards the front of the tractor and also just in front of the cab. The garage is not unduly concerned, but I wondered if this might affect the power of the drive to the deck mount and rear PTO, or does this have nothing to do with it? I also noticed that dropping anything down at the rear is very jerky and difficult to control - dropping being the operative word, rather than placing!! - would this be down to any hydrostatic fluid leak or is it something I need to adjust? They want to charge me a huge amount of money to sort the leaks as it means many man hours of work.

Q2 they also suggested that I change the diesel pump - would this have any effect on power?

Q3 is this to be expect from a tractor of this age and can one do some form of engine rebuild to give it back it's original power?

Thanks for any help!!

R.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Describe loss of power...

Motor stalls/lugs
RPM's stay same but just doesn't perform the same at the RPM's that you are used to
Motor churns fine but gear slows down

First two could be fuel starvation, so if the fuel system has been gone through and thoroughly cleaned, yeah, it can be a weak pump.

Last one is usually a transmission issue. Clutch or hydraulic pump, or other internal problem that won't let it perform correctly.

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
Describe loss of power...

Motor stalls/lugs
RPM's stay same but just doesn't perform the same at the RPM's that you are used to
Motor churns fine but gear slows down

First two could be fuel starvation, so if the fuel system has been gone through and thoroughly cleaned, yeah, it can be a weak pump.

The motor slows down and stalls - I have to put the clutch in to prevent - lots of black smoke from the engine as it labours

Is changing a fuel pump particularly complicated (you can guess that i am a novice...)?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Usually on a mechanical fuel pump it's just a matter of disconnecting the fuel lines, and removing a couple of bolts. Depending on how it's set up, you may need hands the size of a ten year old to get a bolt or two back in :rolleyes:

electrical fuel pump, it's a matter of disconnecting the fuel lines and a bolt or two plus the wires which are usually a quick connect. Sometimes you'll get one missing the quick connect or wrong style quick connect. Then it's a matter of metering the wires and figuring out which is power or ground. And hooking them up with a couple butt slices. If it's a single wire, then it grounds through the frame.

It's really not to difficult as long as you take your time :D

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
Usually on a mechanical fuel pump it's just a matter of disconnecting the fuel lines, and removing a couple of bolts. Depending on how it's set up, you may need hands the size of a ten year old to get a bolt or two back in :rolleyes:

electrical fuel pump, it's a matter of disconnecting the fuel lines and a bolt or two plus the wires which are usually a quick connect. Sometimes you'll get one missing the quick connect or wrong style quick connect. Then it's a matter of metering the wires and figuring out which is power or ground. And hooking them up with a couple butt slices. If it's a single wire, then it grounds through the frame.

It's really not to difficult as long as you take your time :D
sounds good...think I can manage that. Now I just need to find out how much and where I can get a new fuel pump... and brace myself for it not making any difference!! :rolleyes:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The motor slows down and stalls - I have to put the clutch in to prevent - lots of black smoke from the engine as it labours

Is changing a fuel pump particularly complicated (you can guess that i am a novice...)?
If it's pumping black smoke, it's getting plenty of fuel as that's unburned fuel.

If you've maintained the air intake system (new filters, etc.) then what you are left with is: loss of compression (did the dealer test this?), implements need maintenance (they are drawing more work out of the engine due to wear and tear), or a fuel issue like water/old fuel/etc.

If it were my unit, I'd have the fuel pump tested to see if it still meets spec.

While that was being tested I'd go through my implements and do full maintenance on them, as well as cleaning out my fuel tank and getting some treated, new, fuel in it.

Sounds to me like your gear just needs some TLC, maybe some new lines and such. Call it a micro overhaul, and put it back in service.

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
If it's pumping black smoke, it's getting plenty of fuel as that's unburned fuel.

If you've maintained the air intake system (new filters, etc.) then what you are left with is: loss of compression (did the dealer test this?), implements need maintenance (they are drawing more work out of the engine due to wear and tear), or a fuel issue like water/old fuel/etc.

If it were my unit, I'd have the fuel pump tested to see if it still meets spec.

While that was being tested I'd go through my implements and do full maintenance on them, as well as cleaning out my fuel tank and getting some treated, new, fuel in it.

Sounds to me like your gear just needs some TLC, maybe some new lines and such. Call it a micro overhaul, and put it back in service.
you would think that dealer would look at compression wouldn't you?? I have to say that I am less than impressed with them. I have used them twice but I think that's the end of the line for me with them as all I get is large bills and not a lot else. Sadly I am in the middle of nowhere and they are the nearest (40miles) Will see if I cannot get someone local to do a compression test. Fuel should be fine as it's a new fill. I will see if I cannot take the tank out and clean it too, just in case.

thanks for the help...I feel like the only way to deal with this is to work my way through the fuel system myself and change everything to do with the fuel side, then keep my fingers crossed that this works....I just wish that there was an obvious fix.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You can try to get an inexpensive compression test kit from Harbor Freight. They are usually good for the shade tree mechanic sorts. I'm not sure if they have a fitting for Kubota engines though, I don't know what the threading is on the injectors.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rich_S
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2100

Probably no HF there. Local diesel mechanic would be a good choice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would start with adjusting the valves and check the compression, then work back to the Injection pump and injectors.

I'm betting that when the dealer said fuel pump they meant injection pump and not the fuel lift pump.

You would need to pull the pump and the injectors and have both of them tested and rebuilt by a diesel injection service shop, sorry don't know what that shop would be called in France.

Valves out of adjustment can do all the things you are experiencing.

Q1: I have a hydraulic leak - not a bad one but it's in two places - both towards the front of the tractor and also just in front of the cab. The garage is not unduly concerned, but I wondered if this might affect the power of the drive to the deck mount and rear PTO, or does this have nothing to do with it? I also noticed that dropping anything down at the rear is very jerky and difficult to control - dropping being the operative word, rather than placing!! - would this be down to any hydrostatic fluid leak or is it something I need to adjust? They want to charge me a huge amount of money to sort the leaks as it means many man hours of work.

Q2 they also suggested that I change the diesel pump - would this have any effect on power?

Q3 is this to be expect from a tractor of this age and can one do some form of engine rebuild to give it back it's original power?

Thanks for any help!!

R.
A1 there is a speed adjustment for the 3 point, it should be under the seat.

A2 See above note.

A3 No it's not to be expected, I have several tractors with way more hours and they still have a ton of power.

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
I would start with adjusting the valves and check the compression, then work back to the Injection pump and injectors.

I'm betting that when the dealer said fuel pump they meant injection pump and not the fuel lift pump.
Yes, I think there may well be a case of "lost in translation" will check back with them.

A1 there is a speed adjustment for the 3 point, it should be under the seat.

A2 See above note.

A3 No it's not to be expected, I have several tractors with way more hours and they still have a ton of power.
thank you for your very helpful answer, will look into an injector rebuild, although the garage supposedly charged me for an injector "clean" and would assume that they would have notified me if they though anything else was wrong....But then again probably not, as they seem to do very little above and beyond....And the fact is that the tractor still has no power after said cleaning.

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
One injection pump feeds all the injectors. Check your private messages for some tech info.

Rich_S

Equipment
B2100
Apr 19, 2013
SW France
One injection pump feeds all the injectors. Check your private messages for some tech info.
You are a star!! thank you and really appreciate the help. Just had a quote for a new injector pump of £572 including tax (870 USD) which is scarily expensive....i'm going to have to find someone who can rebuild if this turns out to be the problem.