Looking for buying advice for my 15 acres

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
Hello everyone! First post on these forums as I just found them today.

I'm in the market for a small tractor as my wife and I just moved onto about 15 acres. We both grew up on acreages so it has been a welcome move for us to get out of the town living and onto our own space. My dad had a small Kubota when I grew up and it was bulletproof for him, so I'm leaning that way myself.

Primarily, my needs are mowing (a big portion is mowable space) and snow removal (very long driveway, live in north western Canada) but we will also be using it for tons of other small jobs using a loader and probably also a tiller. I have been looking in the 30hp range, and have gotten some dealer quotes on models like the B2620, B2920 and B3350SU and have done as much reading as I can to learn about them all.

We are obviously trying to make the smartest purchase money wise, but as I have told my wife, I don't want to buy something but then regret not getting a bigger/different one in a few years. It feels like we have quite a bit of space to maintain, and I'm not sure what would be too small or unnecessarily big. I don't want anything too small, as I know that traction and bigger jobs often come down to weight and tires, but I also don't need overkill on size.

Any suggestions are welcome as I am always very deliberate with decisions like this. Should I consider different models? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello everyone! First post on these forums as I just found them today.

I'm in the market for a small tractor as my wife and I just moved onto about 15 acres. We both grew up on acreages so it has been a welcome move for us to get out of the town living and onto our own space. My dad had a small Kubota when I grew up and it was bulletproof for him, so I'm leaning that way myself.

Primarily, my needs are mowing (a big portion is mowable space) and snow removal (very long driveway, live in north western Canada) but we will also be using it for tons of other small jobs using a loader and probably also a tiller. I have been looking in the 30hp range, and have gotten some dealer quotes on models like the B2620, B2920 and B3350SU and have done as much reading as I can to learn about them all.

We are obviously trying to make the smartest purchase money wise, but as I have told my wife, I don't want to buy something but then regret not getting a bigger/different one in a few years. It feels like we have quite a bit of space to maintain, and I'm not sure what would be too small or unnecessarily big. I don't want anything too small, as I know that traction and bigger jobs often come down to weight and tires, but I also don't need overkill on size.

Any suggestions are welcome as I am always very deliberate with decisions like this. Should I consider different models? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone :)
Tre,

other than cutting grass and loader, so you will NOT want a backhoe?
Based on those three the bigger is the better one. I also would spend the little extra and get HST - thats just me, but I would gladly pay not to have to shift, true - you do lose a little bit via the fluid, but all around it is hard to beat.

B3350SU is the best in the list....and at 0% - gonna be hard to beat ....unless you are moving to the next level.

I would NOT put any money down, if credit is good - walk in , dicker with the dealer,

here are three things i would expect to get:

about 10% off of list price - 12% if you are lucky.
tell them to fill your rear tires with fluid.

Have him get you a toothbar or something else like a quick release for the bucket......ask and tell him the deal depends on it ! :D

I do not see a MMM with this unit, you getting a rear mower?

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
There are plenty of things to consider. If you're looking at new tractors, 30 Hp is the break point where Kubota goes from no special emissions stuff to the diesel particulate filter DPF that requires regeneration.

I'll just highlight some of the choices you may run into, then read some more around here and choose for yourself.
Tires: Agricultural are the typical high traction tires but they also mark up regular soil. R4 is the industrial tire, almost the traction of an AG tire but a little less rough on soil. Turf, only get these if you don't want to mark up your lawn at all, the cost is you won't have hardly any traction otherwise.

Loaders: If you plan to use front implements like forklift forks, grapple, etc you would benefit by looking at a quick release bucket. Also consider how big of a tractor you plan to get and the amount of lift you expect out of the bucket.

3 pt hitch: Here is where the money hits the road, what kind of implements do you want to run? (bush hog, finishing mower, tiller, etc) Pay attention to the difference between the tractor horsepower and the PTO horsepower. Also consider the lifting capabilities of the 3 point hitch.

Implements: once you consider what PTO horsepower you get in your tractor, most places will recommend implements based on your power. For example if you plan to be cutting say 5-10 acres with a bush hog, you may want to start considering a larger hp tractor. I have a B2650 which is 26 hp but only 19 PTO hp. I was sold a 4' bush hog. If I had light grass a 5' bush hog may have been OK but you really need a larger tractor for that size bush hog.

The other choice you have is tractor size. Unless you really need a B or smaller tractor you may want to consider a larger L tractor. A larger tractor will have more weight which is most of the traction equation.

I only have 5 acres and I bought a 26 hp. Depending on how much you want to do on your property, I'd lean towards a larger machine and maybe even a L over a B.

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I understand the recommendations to consider L series.

Hokie: no I do not plan to use a MMM. I know the B3350SU has no mid PTO, so that's not a huge deal for me. One reason I like that model so much is it gives me the bigger tractor but isn't quite as pricy as the B3350.

I'll look around at some L series too perhaps. Thanks again everyone, more input is welcome :)

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
As suggested by another poster, I would also give a L series a real look. If you buy now you can still find a pre tier 4 emissions L3200 / L3800 (about the same tractor other than engine size and HP, same loader, same size, etc)

I started with a BX25, nice tractor, but missing a couple of things, such as a three range and a hydraulic pump with would lift the loader at idle speeds, but given enough time is would move a mountain.

Went to a L3200H and never looked back. And I have no where near 15 acres - but I like to have lots of loader capacity and I find even the L series to come up short in lifting at times! I could not imagine going back to something with less lifting capacity now.

David

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have an B and an L... Sorry but the L beats the B hands down for power, lift capacity, bucket capacity, and versatility, The B just kept coming up short on the power and size needed to do most jobs. :(
The B's excel in getting into places a big tractor won't fit! ;)

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
I have an B and an L... Sorry but the L beats the B hands down for power, lift capacity, bucket capacity, and versatility, The B just kept coming up short on the power and size needed to do most jobs. :(
The B's excel in getting into places a big tractor won't fit! ;)
What model of B and what model of L do you have? Looking at the specs, the B3350's seem comparable to lower end L models aside from being a little lighter (yes I know that has an effect on traction)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a B7100HSTD, that has a 21.5HP motor in it (changed to larger HP motor) Loaded oversized tires, and FEL with SSQA and 48" bucket with teeth.
It's a great little tractor that can run around really well, moves dirt great, to light to drag normal sized trees, too light to push a good size snow blade, Not too bad with the three point snowblower.

I also have an L3450GST-DT, 36.7HP, It has oversized tires on the rear (large extra wide flotation loader tires), front foam filled R4 tires, Woods 1016 loader with a 60" high capacity bucket.
It has dug out tree stumps, skidded out huge trees, moved a ton of dirt, In the process of making a root grapple for it to deal with small stumps and tree debris, It runs a 6' 6 way blade without issue all year around, also has a 60" snowblower that chucks snow 50+ feet in 5th gear (that's moving), it's great in the winter as I clear 2 miles of driveway and private roads and parts of my driveway are at 10% grade, the B can only snowblow or blade in the downhill direction, the L does it both directions.
I also can pull a 9 bottom spring tooth cultivator about 16" in the ground, the B will pull a 4 bottom 12" in the ground.

Yes Both of my tractors are older and there is a wider gap in the values than your looking at on your comparison.
I'm just passing along my real world evaluation of mine.
In your case you may be really happy with the capabilities and limits of the B's and you'll never want more.

Weight of the tractor not only effects the traction but it also effects the stability and performance too.
Both models will need rear ballast if using a loader anywhere in the range of 500 to 1000 lbs so that will help, also get the tires ballast loaded, and have them install a block heater for easier starts in winter.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Fur surr a L3200 at least, small enough to get in and out of tight places and heavy enough to do anything you might come up against with in reason of course,,, just mHO

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
Another question I would ask you guys... How much do dealers generally move, if at all, on quoted prices? I have been given a number of quotes from a few dealers, many of which are different prices for the same models. I've never made a purchase quite like this one so I'm just not sure how much dickering usually goes on.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Doesn't hurt to tell them thats not the best they can do and come back with a better offer :D I personally just let my wife deal with them:cool: She's made more then one salesmen cry, and ends up with the owners doing her paper work and making her first payment for her:D she's mean!!!!!

Wouldn't hurt to ask for extras like loaded tires and other goodys :)

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I went in looking at a B but left with an L and at times I feel it is too small. Sure glad I stepped up especially when using pallet forks and FEL. I only have 11 acres but some of it is hilly. It handles my 5' bush hog fine. Make sure you get 4WD if you are going to use the FEL much. Just my 2 cents.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I was like mickeyd, went in looking at B's, drove off with an L3200.

Price is so upfront but when you actually consider what you need to do with the property, the few dollars more a month (at 0% interest) is worth it.

I bought a 2013 L3200 gear shift type. The dealer bent over backwards for me and gave me a good deal on it and the implements.

Shifting doesn't bother me, if you have it in the right gear, not much shifting to do anyway. The HST's are fun to use though, very easy to work with.

I have 6 acres, and the L3200 will do just fine. If you are actually going to farm a good chunk of those 15 acres, I'd step up to the L3400 or L3800. The extra horsey's and clutch power will stand up to abuse of pulling implements a little better than the L3200. If you aren't going to be doing much farming and just general property upkeep and work, then the L3200 is probably good enough for you.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HEY Todd can I borrow your wife when I go looking for a new tractor?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
HEY Todd can I borrow your wife when I go looking for a new tractor?
If you lived closer I would say yes;) Darn salesmen always make the same mistake with her. They will say "well maybe i need to deal with your husband" :eek::D:cool: I actually felt bad for the salesman the first time it happened. Now i'll get up and wander off on purpose:D

Treflo

Sep 7, 2014
Hudson Bay, SK, Canada
I was like mickeyd, went in looking at B's, drove off with an L3200.

Price is so upfront but when you actually consider what you need to do with the property, the few dollars more a month (at 0% interest) is worth it.

I bought a 2013 L3200 gear shift type. The dealer bent over backwards for me and gave me a good deal on it and the implements.

Shifting doesn't bother me, if you have it in the right gear, not much shifting to do anyway. The HST's are fun to use though, very easy to work with.

I have 6 acres, and the L3200 will do just fine. If you are actually going to farm a good chunk of those 15 acres, I'd step up to the L3400 or L3800. The extra horsey's and clutch power will stand up to abuse of pulling implements a little better than the L3200. If you aren't going to be doing much farming and just general property upkeep and work, then the L3200 is probably good enough for you.
Yeah there will definitely not be farming going on, but the mowing/snow removal/garden work/odd jobs will be plenty.

I do like the look of the L3200 as well, but I am having a hard time finding something like that around here. I really am quite interested in the B3350SU that I am looking at, as it matches up quite closely to the L3200 on the specs, but I know some are leary about the new DPF system and what not. The dealers here claim if you hit the auto regen button every time as soon as you start it, yadda yadda , but seems like there are a number of complaints about it around forums and what not.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yeah there will definitely not be farming going on, but the mowing/snow removal/garden work/odd jobs will be plenty.

I do like the look of the L3200 as well, but I am having a hard time finding something like that around here. I really am quite interested in the B3350SU that I am looking at, as it matches up quite closely to the L3200 on the specs, but I know some are leary about the new DPF system and what not. The dealers here claim if you hit the auto regen button every time as soon as you start it, yadda yadda , but seems like there are a number of complaints about it around forums and what not.
Never having one, DPF, I would stay clear of them ........unless you have to get it!:D

I dont think they have the bugs worked out to the point of perfection. But I cannot say that from experience ........just heard a lot of beaaauuuchin!:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The mining company's due to under ground mandate from MSAH have been using DPF on all underground diesel equipment for a bunch of years so they do work are they a PIA yup