Looking for a B3350 block heater.

B3350orbust

Equipment
B3350, 72” Bush Hog, 72” box blade, 72” grader blade, 48” King Kutter tiller,
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
I got the block heater today in the mail for $50. The dealer said he would install one for a hundred.

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
I spoke to the dealer this morning checking the status of the repair, he said Kubota gave him the ok to replace the dfp and the elbow/exhaust heater prior to the dfp. The cpu listed a fault and premature shutdown during the parked regen d/t a over heat issue... then he said he was install a bra over the front for cold weather applications... go figure.
In addition he states that my cpu is behind on two or three updates that should help as well. All done at least another week to repair.

I also spoke with someone who is very knowledgeable about kubota tractors and their tier 4 emissions. My question, if the dfp is monitored by heat variations within its three zones could the cpu be tricked into thinking all is well and the tractor living itÂ’s life in auto regen? He said yes, but he doesnÂ’t know anyone willing to attempt it.
I think I know someone. :)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I spoke to the dealer this morning checking the status of the repair, he said Kubota gave him the ok to replace the dfp and the elbow/exhaust heater prior to the dfp. The cpu listed a fault and premature shutdown during the parked regen d/t a over heat issue... then he said he was install a bra over the front for cold weather applications... go figure.
In addition he states that my cpu is behind on two or three updates that should help as well. All done at least another week to repair.

I also spoke with someone who is very knowledgeable about kubota tractors and their tier 4 emissions. My question, if the dfp is monitored by heat variations within its three zones could the cpu be tricked into thinking all is well and the tractor living itÂ’s life in auto regen? He said yes, but he doesnÂ’t know anyone willing to attempt it.
What do you mean by living it's life in auto regen? If it has the latest updates it should be there already. meaning it will automatically start a regen without operator input if it needs a regen provided the engine is warm enough.

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
Sorry I left out, what if the dpf was hollow? In theory, no heat differences would be noticeable between the temperature zones so the computer shouldn’t put the tractor in a parked regen. It would still do automatic running regen according to its internal clock increments.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Sorry I left out, what if the dpf was hollow? In theory, no heat differences would be noticeable between the temperature zones so the computer shouldn’t put the tractor in a parked regen. It would still do automatic running regen according to its internal clock increments.
The ecu looks at the differential pressure switch to see if a regen is necessary. It looks at the 3 temperature probes to ensure that the regen is proceeding properly. If the DPF portion was hollow it "likely" wouldn't ever trigger the need for a regen. I can't guarantee that though because there might be other trickery in there to detect the absence of the DPF. It is your tractor, you can experiment with it if you want! LOL I know of one SVL90-2 that has run good for the last 4 years with the DPF hollowed out, and never called for a regen in that time. SVL's use a different system though.. If I were trying it I would leave the DOC portion intact and just remove the DPF.. Theoretically, if you were to run the engine hard enough it would automatically keep the DPF hot enough to burn itself clean and never need a regen so I doubt that there is a timer in there that makes it regen after a specific amount of hours but the Kubota service reps tell me there is. Only trying it would tell you for sure! DPF's are kinda expensive to experiment with though! If it doesn't work you would need to buy a new one.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

The "exhaust heater" is called a reformer. It has been changed at least once during the 3350 model run. If, as you say, the ECU firmware in your 3350 is not current, the reformer almost certainly will not be as well. This is likely why Kubota decided to replace it. It is a VERY expensive part.

IF your 3350 is fully up to date after the latest work and it still shuts down during regen due to OT, it may be due to engine oil getting past the intake valve seals and being burnt. My dealer has found this on 7 or 8 3350s (including my 30 hour unit) and high end ZTR and F series engines using the same engine. So far, at least, replacing or reconditioning the cylinder head as well as replacing the reformer and DPF has solved the OT problem but the jury is certainly still out.

If interested, search the archives for my more thorough discussions of this issue.

The cold weather modifications, including the bra address a completely different issue that can cause regen problems in cold ambient.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Operating regens are not based simply upon elapsed time.

SDT

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The "exhaust heater" is called a reformer. It has been changed at least once during the 3350 model run. If, as you say, the ECU firmware in your 3350 is not current, the reformer almost certainly will not be as well. This is likely why Kubota decided to replace it. It is a VERY expensive part.

IF your 3350 is fully up to date after the latest work and it still shuts down during regen due to OT, it may be due to engine oil getting past the intake valve seals and being burnt. My dealer has found this on 7 or 8 3350s (including my 30 hour unit) and high end ZTR and F series engines using the same engine. So far, at least, replacing or reconditioning the cylinder head as well as replacing the reformer and DPF has solved the OT problem but the jury is certainly still out.

If interested, search the archives for my more thorough discussions of this issue.

The cold weather modifications, including the bra address a completely different issue that can cause regen problems in cold ambient.

SDT
Also, to add to this! Absolutely no fuel additives in a B3350!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The ecu looks at the differential pressure switch to see if a regen is necessary. It looks at the 3 temperature probes to ensure that the regen is proceeding properly. If the DPF portion was hollow it "likely" wouldn't ever trigger the need for a regen. I can't guarantee that though because there might be other trickery in there to detect the absence of the DPF. It is your tractor, you can experiment with it if you want! LOL I know of one SVL90-2 that has run good for the last 4 years with the DPF hollowed out, and never called for a regen in that time. SVL's use a different system though.. If I were trying it I would leave the DOC portion intact and just remove the DPF.. Theoretically, if you were to run the engine hard enough it would automatically keep the DPF hot enough to burn itself clean and never need a regen so I doubt that there is a timer in there that makes it regen after a specific amount of hours but the Kubota service reps tell me there is. Only trying it would tell you for sure! DPF's are kinda expensive to experiment with though! If it doesn't work you would need to buy a new one.
Agreed.

I was told that replacing the reformer alone costs around $4,000 and replacing the DPF alone about $3,500. I certainly would sabotage neither.

Moreover, modifying the emissions system will void the remaining part of the 5 year emissions warranty. Not something that I would do.

SDT

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Agreed.

I was told that replacing the reformer alone costs around $4,000 and replacing the DPF alone about $3,500. I certainly would sabotage neither.

Moreover, modifying the emissions system will void the remaining part of the 5 year emissions warranty. Not something that I would do.

SDT
If it were mine I wouldn't do it either. Depending on where you live it could make the tractor unsaleable and/or subject you to a large fine. That said though, everybody around here is taking them off their trucks and seeming to get away with it

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here is a diagram of how the reformer fits into this operation. If I can get an image to load that is still readable. The whole thing is not simple, and as eserv said, at least in the 60series, time and gallons of fuel are kept track of by the computer.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've looked into this quite a bit, and I'm surprised someone hasn't just eliminated the emissions system completely, it's a mechanical fuel injected engine, there is nothing to stop it from running if done properly.
there are no controls to it that can't be bypassed.

There are plenty of V1505 non emissions engines out there for cheap enough that one could pull the whole engine and emissions system out and replace it with an older version of the same motor, with more HP and no emissions headaches.

This of course is all just speaking off the cuff and I for one would never do such a hideous thing as to make a non performing emissions regulated tractor perform without it's emissions...

Anyone got a B3350 that they wanna dump for cheap because it doesn't run? ;)

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
First of all I would not do anything to void my warranty...
Trying to sell the tractor with tampered emissions couldn’t be any tougher than trying to sell a B3350 with its current issues. I love the tractor and just want it to work as intended. The dpf is $2600. It’s the only dpf that Kubota made as a single piece; that is it cannot be broken down for cleaning or repair, only replaced.
The reformer and dfp is being replaced this week, and now I’m concerned about the cylinder head leaking oil, ugh! Should i ask the dealer about this? Is there a test that can be performed?
Now for fuel additives, Should I use water disperses and anti-gell chemicals or not?
I sure appreciate this forum and everyone who gives me input. Without you I’d be sol for sure. :)

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
Lol Wolfman that hilarious. If I recall, Diesel engines ran without any electrical input after they were started. My uncle has an old JD that starts with a small gas engine mounted over the diesel.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I've looked into this quite a bit, and I'm surprised someone hasn't just eliminated the emissions system completely, it's a mechanical fuel injected engine, there is nothing to stop it from running if done properly.

There are plenty of V1505 non emissions engines out there for cheap enough that one could pull the whole engine and emissions system out and replace it with an older version of the same motor, with more HP and no emissions headaches.

This of course is all just speaking off the cuff and I for one would never do such a hideous thing as to make a non performing emissions regulated tractor perform without it's emissions...

I'd like to get hold of one too! I can't see why it would be very difficult to eliminate all that crap on these machines.

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
Sheepfarmer, I’m just getting a rotating wheel which is better than before. I’m gonna log off and on. Fingers crossed.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Just call it a B2650.5 :D

Last edited by a moderator: