Log lifter,drager skiderwhat ever you call it

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok the season is upon us to start cutting for next years fire wood pile,, Some place I had seen heard dreamed someone had built a lifter drager skider what ever for a compact tractor. Yeah I know I could just knock trees down and the cutem up and bring in the little trailer and so on and so on. But in this case I dont have that kind of time if I cut them I have to get the wood out cause they are going to build a home. some fairly large stuff maybe 24 to 28 inches in Dia, but mostly in the 10 to 16 inch range. And I though if I can long cut 12,14 feet long, I can knock a bunch down limb them and drag them home where I can work onthe wood as i can. I would like to keep the tractor end of the log off the ground I thinnk it would make draging it easyer,,

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Look at this. I think it would be very handy for what you a talking about.

Wallenstein FX 65 skidding winch.

They have videos on there site and even use a Kubota tractor in them.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEAH at 3 to 4 thousand dollars for the skidder that Bulldog and I posted. I dont see that being justifiable to purchase uless your in the logging/forrestry business.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
My 2 concerns with this and a small tractor are:
* the lifting/pulling from the 3pt hitch/Top Link (lot of weight and it changes the pivot point leverage)
*You can't get the front of the log real high and if it binds on a rock you could be in trouble fast.

Another hundred and you could have this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356854_200356854 much safer and you could haul a lot larger logs.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Last spring
i helped a friend drag some logs out to a clearing so he could get to the pile with his truck. What I did was to buy a clevis grab hook that would hook on the top hook of my harbor freight quick hitch. Then we used a short length of 3/8" chain around the log, hooked it to the top hook raised the three point, and drove away. I will say that there times that I wish I would've had a draw bar across the lower part of the quick hitch to keep the logs from coming forward. But there were also times that it was better without.

Bob

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
This is so simple,,looks like it would work well too
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335943_200335943
Hello Skeets:

Just like what you're looking at from Northern Tool, I've been using a simple hitch and chain setup but much less expensive. I think this one cost about $50. Works fine.

Check it out at:
www.redlandhill.com/index.html

I've got the handihitch and since I had the ball and hooks, just the steel frame was fairly cheap. Attached to the 3-pt hitch at the rear of my B7800, I've been able to lift and drag some really big logs. I also have a FEL and the weight of that helps keep the front wheels on the ground. Hope you have a ROPs too - more than handy, it's a lifesaver.

Good luck!

David

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
One thing to keep in mind when skidding the logs to be cut-up with a chain saw. The bark gets full of dirt and its rough on chains. I'll limb the log ware i drop the tree than pull/skid it up on a few short pieces (cross ways) to be cut. If i can get the tractor to it i can get trailer there.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Built one for my 1980 b7100 4wd (replaced last winter with a 2012 b2320) & it worked great, sold it with the tractor but built another for new Kubota. Used it to clear a building lot for a guy, cut & skidded out 10 cord of maple for firewood. Never once did it attempt to lift the front of the tractor. Ground was frozen with 6 or 8 inches of snow & that little tractor could go anywhere & hardly had to cut paths to skid on. Posted it here before but here are a couple of pics. Safety police need not respond.

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I can knock a bunch down limb them and drag them home where I can work onthe wood as i can. I would like to keep the tractor end of the log off the ground I thinnk it would make draging it easyer,,
One thing to keep in mind when skidding the logs to be cut-up with a chain saw. The bark gets full of dirt and its rough on chains...
skeets, don't you have a 3PH? I've just slid a chain under one end of a log (usually the fat end, but doesn't really matter), lift the end up as high as the 3PH will go, and haul 'em out. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it choked up enough to lift clear of the ground, but I've pulled some 30' logs, about 18-20" or so, no issues at all!

Orange Turbo makes a good point about grabbing dirt: you will scrape up a bit. However, the distance I've hauled them hasn't added much dirt, and it was one narrow strip on the bottom. I was cutting firewood, so was making many more cuts than you would be doing cutting for lumber and timber.

But if you're worried about your chain getting a little wear, you might try the technique I accidentally discovered (which requires a quick hitch like the Titan QuickHitch I've added)

Attachments

jrichtha

Equipment
Kubota L3130
Ok the season is upon us to start cutting for next years fire wood pile,, Some place I had seen heard dreamed someone had built a lifter drager skider what ever for a compact tractor. Yeah I know I could just knock trees down and the cutem up and bring in the little trailer and so on and so on. But in this case I dont have that kind of time if I cut them I have to get the wood out cause they are going to build a home. some fairly large stuff maybe 24 to 28 inches in Dia, but mostly in the 10 to 16 inch range. And I though if I can long cut 12,14 feet long, I can knock a bunch down limb them and drag them home where I can work onthe wood as i can. I would like to keep the tractor end of the log off the ground I thinnk it would make draging it easyer,,
I make one for the compact tractor, trying to attach a picture but no luck.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
On the Unimogs set up for logging they have a blade that when you lower the rear 3pt it jams into the ground. When you winch it does not drag the vehicle. As it gets closer the log is pulled up onto the thing. Lift three point with the blade attached and it also lifts end of the tree's pulled up onto it. Drive away.

Granted a Unimog weighs a lot more. so this would take wise setup so Tractor won't flip backward rotating around this blade. Will aim to get pics vids later.