Locked wheels

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is a brand new machine and now you have nothing for possibly months because somebody at the dealership FUd and didn't put in fluids or tighten bolts etc.

If you are driving down the road and the front end suddenly locks up wouldn't you expect undue stresses and strains on the rest of your machine parts? You don't know the extent of the damage that has been done.

The dealership needs to man up and give you a new replacement machine. You pay them good money for a brand new machine and now you get stuck with a lemon after 8 hours of usage. I'd be livid.

I feel your pain Toby3294.

If they don't give you a new machine I'd be posting the dealership's name online here to warn other potential customers.
You're doing a whole ton of assumptions! :eek:
You don't know if it did or did not have fluids and the dealership does not work on any bolts in the front axle, so that rules those two right out.
And as kevinj pointed out, it was in 2wd when this happened so no damage would be done to the rest of the tractor.
It's a simple case of a part went bad, it happens.
It also a simple fix, I would say the dealership went above and beyond to get an entire new axle for it instead of putting parts into it.
And they jumped right on it to find out what went out in it! ;)

When you buy a auto, tractor, or just about anything else, they give you a warranty to cover situations just like this, demanding a new one just because a part failed (that can easily be replaced) is a little over the top.

Last edited:

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Are referring to me or Mikester making assumptions? Im not making assumptions. I just was told that the bearing was bad and front axle is being replaced. I'm waiting for the Rep and dealer to get back to me. I think I need to know and understand what happened. Thats why I asked you for the schematics.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Toby, Look at the person that Wolfman was quoting in his reply. It was not you, it was mikester that he is saying was assuming a ton too much.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are referring to me or Mikester making assumptions? Im not making assumptions. I just was told that the bearing was bad and front axle is being replaced. I'm waiting for the Rep and dealer to get back to me. I think I need to know and understand what happened. Thats why I asked you for the schematics.
Toby3294, Yes the assumptions on causes of the failure, comment was directed at Mikester not you. ;)

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
I have the same machine with 18 hours. If the same issue happened to me I would give the dealer a chance to make it right. If something else bad happened after I would proceed in being a dickhead. Give them a chance.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
... demanding a new one just because a part failed (that can easily be replaced) is a little over the top.
Agreed, and not to mention, the owner doesnt have a right to demand a new tractor especially with 8 hours. The mfg is obligated to fix the problem under the warranty which is a contract. That can be just the failed bearing and any collateral damage as a result, but not more.

The dealer ordered a new axle assembly, well over the requirement IMHO

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This is a brand new machine and now you have nothing for possibly months because somebody at the dealership FUd and didn't put in fluids or tighten bolts etc.

If you are driving down the road and the front end suddenly locks up wouldn't you expect undue stresses and strains on the rest of your machine parts? You don't know the extent of the damage that has been done.

The dealership needs to man up and give you a new replacement machine.
You pay them good money for a brand new machine and now you get stuck with a lemon after 8 hours of usage. I'd be livid.

I feel your pain Toby3294.

If they don't give you a new machine I'd be posting the dealership's name online here to warn other potential customers.
Why would the Dealership give him a new tractor, Kubota is who warranties the machine. It is spelled out in the Warranty agreement signed at the time of purchase. Kubota has the option to replace or repair the unit, it is not up to the dealer.

Kubota did not manufacture the bearing that failed nor did the dealer. The dealer does not assemble the front axle, Kubota does.

Posting a childish rant on the internet trashing the dealer who is just a middleman could wind up being a very expensive endeavor. You could wind up in a court having to prove the dealer negligent of some action, which of course you could not.

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Update. Dealership called they were delivering my tractor. Wanted to deliver it even if I was not there. Stated they did not replace axle. My understanding is a rebuild. Stated it was the pinion gear bearing.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
As long as the bearing didn't spin in the housing and they replaced all the damaged parts, you should be good to go. Sounds like they made it top priority to get is fixed fast and back to you. That's good service and good customer support.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not uncommon for a dealership / mechanic to change direction, done it myself plenty of times as a mechanic.

It most likely did less damage than initially thought to have done, or maybe on first inspection they couldn't get it apart to be able to see the real issue was not as bad as they initially expected.

I wouldn't fret about it anymore, get it and use the heck out of it! :D

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
As long as the bearing didn't spin in the housing and they replaced all the damaged parts, you should be good to go. Sounds like they made it top priority to get is fixed fast and back to you. That's good service and good customer support.
here are pictures

Attachments

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have seen a lot worse than that. You should not have any problems with it after the repair.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I was never going to comment on this post, but with the misinformation, I have to. This is the dealership where I bought my tractor and where I work part time to help them out because they are so busy. The owners of this dealership are top notch as they came right down and got Toby 3294 tractor. I would have been the one to get it that day, but I had other delivery's. It was the front pinion bearing that was a bad part. I walked by this tractor for a couple of days while they were getting parts, which was overnight, and doing repairs. The mechanic working on the tractor is top notch, and really cares about his work. As NIW and BAP said should be done, the whole front tube that housed the pinon bearing was replaced to be as new, as well as all the affected bearings and gears. Toby 3294, I hope you understand that the axle was not the problem. It was the pinion gear and the entire front tube and everything that was effected was replaced and I saw it first hand! It is a whole new front differential. That was a bad piece of luck for sure, as NIW said surely happens with anything mechanical. Get your tractor back and work it and enjoy!!

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
I was never going to comment on this post, but with the misinformation, I have to. This is the dealership where I bought my tractor and where I work part time to help them out because they are so busy. The owners of this dealership are top notch as they came right down and got Toby 3294 tractor. I would have been the one to get it that day, but I had other delivery's. It was the front pinion bearing that was a bad part. I walked by this tractor for a couple of days while they were getting parts, which was overnight, and doing repairs. The mechanic working on the tractor is top notch, and really cares about his work. As NIW and BAP said should be done, the whole front tube that housed the pinon bearing was replaced to be as new, as well as all the affected bearings and gears. Toby 3294, I hope you understand that the axle was not the problem. It was the pinion gear and the entire front tube and everything that was effected was replaced and I saw it first hand! It is a whole new front differential. That was a bad piece of luck for sure, as NIW said surely happens with anything mechanical. Get your tractor back and work it and enjoy!!
Thank you for feedback. As far as misinformation, myself did not misinform anyone. There has been a lot of comments by others but not by me. I have been treated fine by dealership and mechanic who I know cares about his work. He has been there for 20+ years. I have quite a bit of respect for him . I'm glad he was the one who worked on it. Someone asked who the dealership was and I felt there was no reason to disclose that. I am very satisfied with the dealership. I was told that a new axle was being ordered,and sales person would talk to the parts rep and get back to me. My concern lies down the road. Again thanks for feedback and looking forward to meeting u upon delivery.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Thank you for feedback. As far as misinformation, myself did not misinform anyone. There has been a lot of comments by others but not by me. I have been treated fine by dealership and mechanic who I know cares about his work. He has been there for 20+ years. I have quite a bit of respect for him . I'm glad he was the one who worked on it. Someone asked who the dealership was and I felt there was no reason to disclose that. I am very satisfied with the dealership. I was told that a new axle was being ordered,and sales person would talk to the parts rep and get back to me. My concern lies down the road. Again thanks for feedback and looking forward to meeting u upon delivery.

I certainly didnt mean to imply that you gave misinformation. I was just informing everyone else on the forum the steps that were taken to make your tractor right. Again nobody likes to see these things happen. Good luck and enjoy your tractor for many years to come as I have mine.

Last edited:

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Update. Tractor brought back on 6/29 and have put 29hrs on it brush hogging without issues. Although very difficult to disengage 4wd. Is that normal. I have to try several times for the lever to move. Note service has been great from the dealer. Thanks for comments and input. Will update as as I use the tractor.