Little survey cab or backhoe when building lx2610

Mggray87

Oct 26, 2021
CA
I'm new lurker of this forum. I'm definitely getting waaaaay ahead of myself over here. Dreaming I guess you'd say. I'm currently in the market for 5-6 acres in texas hill country. To buy now build later. So of course I'm on the internet reading nothing but tractors and videos nothing but tractors. Sold my corvette to help save and plan for some acreage. Now I'm to the point I'm so excited to have land because I get to have a tractor. No experience with tractors. My co worker just purchased 5 acres in ca to get out of the nonsense going on here. He bought a bx23s with loader/backhoe. Im eyeballing the LX2610 with loader and cab or loader with backhoe. I've read back and forth the backhoe isn't worth it on a compact tractor. I also heard the other side that people are glad they bought it.

I'm curious would the tractor gurus on here rather recommend lx2160 with cab or with backhoe. Or maybe no cab at all, I guess depends on climate and if planning on tilling acres and getting dusty?

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
JimmyJazz is fully wrong. :) A tractor is an investment in fun. If you're trying to make money, he's totally right. If you're trying to live your life, you totally need a tractor. And they don't really depreciate much, sure they don't go up in value like land does, but they aren't going to cost you a lot either.

An LX is a new machine. Only you know how much money you have, personally my first machine was a beat up old BX. I learned all the things not to do on that machine (and bent, scratched or broke various bits of it). Then I bought a new machine that needs to last me many years.

As to your questions, in my climate, I don't need a cab. I have a wide brimmed hat, we don't get hot enough to need AC, and I don't drive my tractor in the rain. In Texas I can imagine a cab being very useful, but equally it sounds like a hobby tractor - why would you be out driving your tractor when the weather is inclement? If it's that hot surely you'd be under a tree drinking beer?

I think I'd enjoy a backhoe, but it would make no practical sense. I didn't want to pay for it ultimately. But I had the benefit of borrowing Dad's old mini-ex for a year when I established our property, so most of my backhoe type tasks I did that way. I also learned what Dad originally told me - I'd go to his place and he'd get a spade out and start digging a trench. And I'd be saying "you have a mini-ex". But, if you want things tidy when you finish, you cut the sod out first with a spade and put it to one side. Easy to put it back at the end. Then usually I'm laying a pipe or a cable, so I only want a narrow trench. Backhoe doesn't make narrow trenches. Once I've got the spade out for the sod, digging the rest (in our soil) isn't that big a deal. And on wet ground the excavator makes a mess. Again, I can imagine it's different in Texas, I'd imagine your grass is less tidy, and your dirt is more stoney. Less desire to leave a tidy lawn, and digging with a spade would be harder. Do you have work that needs a backhoe? I think I'd get a grapple before a backhoe unless I had something specific in mind that needed one.

Reactions: 1 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
i recently Bought a Lx2610 with the cab and backhoe, i have used the backhoe a ton of times so far, to dig out stumps, place huge rocks, dig up concrete, take out small trees, the list goes on. The biggest downfall is that it’s slow, and it’s outside of the cab, so now you can’t reach the throttle, and you can’t reach the loader controls, and you no longer have heat/air and a dry spot to sit. It’s also very long off the back, so putting this machine into a dump trailer is probably next to impossible and or a major chore. But for what it is, i have No regrets yet. Is it costly? Absolutely, but if you plan on keeping your machine, it’s cheaper and more convenient than rentals over time. The cab will sure be amazing this winter when out plowing snow. And it was sure handy this summer when i hit A ground nest full or hornets while doing loader work.

185BA523-8EB0-40CD-9632-4E575702C388.jpeg
F2BAB089-CFCD-4683-9B04-5D12046AEFD9.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Maybe you should state your more immediate needs. Perhaps you don't need a tractor. For what that tractor would cost you might be able to buy more land. Land if bought properly is an appreciating asset while a tractor is a depreciating asset. Often the best allocation of funds is land with a fixer upper house that you can fix largely yourself. The process is repeatable and scaleable meaning start with something small and maybe a little debt and before you know it your 50 years old and have quite a nest egg. Not all aspire to get rich over the course of their life but that's my advice. Good luck ,think big and buy used equipment and only if you truly need it.
wow :rolleyes:😒

I'm curious would the tractor gurus on here rather recommend lx2160 with cab or with backhoe.
cant comment on backhoe, but my considerations for cab vs ROPS, was working in thick woods, and storage location overhead height, lead me to rops. One day if I fix both i'll get a cab :)

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
A cab is nice, but depending on the how flat you are, it can make the tractor more tippy. It’s a lot of weight up high. You are right that it can be good for temperature, dust, and also can be good for insects and pollen. I think those matter more if you are purchasing overgrown property or not. In my area, not having a cab is an inconvenience when the wind is blowing and I’m moving dirt into the wind.

Backhoes are the most expensive attachment and also the most unused. You have to remove them to use the 3 point on the rear that can be tiller, blade, rotary cutter, box blade, seeder, etc. Unless you have a very specific need for a backhoe, I’d save the money. Rent a mini excavator if you have to or use a middle buster, or stump bucket, for the occasional ditch or stump.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, in 3 years I've never even unboxed the 3pt kit for my BX23S, always need the BH it seems....and I have 3 other tractors for the other implements..
everyone's needs are different.
I wouldn't be buying property in CA. In 2 years you won't be allowed to run ANY 'offroad' gas powered machines, like riders, snowblower, weedwackers, etc.....
I have seens a battery powered snowblower ..$2500 cdn, batteries extra !, good for 20 minutes( @ 70*F though..)
buying 5-6 acres is a large lot or hobby 'play patch', so buy used equipment, IF, you can find it, for sure NON tier4 stuff.
what you buy SHOULD be based on the land you buy and what you're using it for.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I too have a cab and a backhoe. I would definitely buy it again.
I use my backhoe a decent amount. And I’m able to make money with it. I just finished a job digging 17 holes for trees. It didn’t take long and I made decent money.
I also have a cab. Is your either/or question because of price?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
omg this thread is going off the rails.
so much conjecture stated as facts in this discussion, holy hell.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
lets recap... OP asks if he should get a cab and hoe for his future TX property.

we have a canadian stating - no off road engines allowed in California starting in 2023. (citation needed)
- backhoe stays on permanently, in the VERY rare instance a 3 point implement is ever needed, put it on another tractor.
- never, ever, buy anything with emissions systems ever (citation needed)
- two people advising not to move to California (non-residents)
- another guy saying dont buy any tractor, and infers sound "investment advice". (has no clue to OPs resources or objectives)
- two posts stating I need to start shopping Grand L's (possibly factual)

this thread has made my morning :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I would buy what you know that you will use/benefit from the vast majority of the time - unless you just want something without regard to price. I use my FEL w/ bucket and grapple, both mowers and box blade consistently every month, and I will into the future. I only use my spreader seasonally - the nature of the item.

Last week, I had to cut a 180 foot long trench 12 inches deep. I rented a tracked trencher for less than $250 (Vermeer machine, trailer, insurance and tax), and I cut the trench in less than 40 minutes (total time - pick up, use and return = about 3 hours). Even if I had a backhoe, I might have rented the trencher. It cut a beautiful narrow trench through a pasture full of rocks that was easy to refill. A backhoe would have taken much longer (especially to cut to a specific depth for the entire trench), and it would have made a mess in comparison.

Instead of coming up with reasons to buy a cab, backhoe or anything else, honestly determine what you will really use/benefit from month to month. Occasional/short term need = rental.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

rjent

Equipment
B7800, BH, FEL, brushhog, tiller, blade, phd, Boxbld, Chpper
Jan 20, 2020
Truth or Consequences, NM
When I bought my tractor new, I had bids for doing a few major jobs that my property needed (sewer lines, multiple driveway creations, water lines, parking /storage. The tractor paid for itself the first year and actually "made" me money as I didn't have to pay someone to do the jobs. I have a backhoe and use it all the time. Mine (being older design) is not that hard to R&R and I have seven other attachments. No cab as I don't need it because I don't have cold and snow and just don't run the tractor in inclement weather. My backhoe for me is one of my most important implements, but I do a lot of trenching and actually do a lot of free work for neighbors.

Hope it helps.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
omg this thread is going off the rails.
It seems the people talking about the thread going off the rails are only talking about going off the rails. Maybe that makes sense to you guys.

How about actually adding some advice even if it is very simple basic advice?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
It seems the people talking about the thread going off the rails are only talking about going off the rails. Maybe that makes sense to you guys.

How about actually adding some advice even if it is very simple basic advice?
We did, and it wasn't investment advice or conjecture, read above

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A cab is nice, but depending on the how flat you are, it can make the tractor more tippy. It’s a lot of weight up high. You are right that it can be good for temperature, dust, and also can be good for insects and pollen. I think those matter more if you are purchasing overgrown property or not. In my area, not having a cab is an inconvenience when the wind is blowing and I’m moving dirt into the wind.

Backhoes are the most expensive attachment and also the most unused. You have to remove them to use the 3 point on the rear that can be tiller, blade, rotary cutter, box blade, seeder, etc. Unless you have a very specific need for a backhoe, I’d save the money. Rent a mini excavator if you have to or use a middle buster, or stump bucket, for the occasional ditch or stump.
I always love the "rent a mini excavator' advice so often offered by others.
Apparently, everybody is assumed to have a mini ex rental place just down the street.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I always love the "rent a mini excavator' advice so often offered by others.
Apparently, everybody is assumed to have a mini ex rental place just down the street.

When was the last time someone "rented" a piece equipment? I need a man lift one time, you know the type that telescopes out, used them before............. reason I could not get it - my homeowners would not cover IF I somehow messed the machine up .......... so I could not rent that!

A mini trackhoe is simple enough to rent .......assuming that there is some place around that rents them - then you have to have the appropriate trailer to haul it and what not - then get it back fueled and ready for the next person.

SO what does that really cost - after the dust settles? Lets say for a week! Lots of trenching and scooping ..... total cost???? Someone who just rented one, tell me what it costs for curiosity sake and how available it was to get.