Little survey cab or backhoe when building lx2610

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When was the last time someone "rented" a piece equipment? I need a man lift one time, you know the type that telescopes out, used them before............. reason I could not get it - my homeowners would not cover IF I somehow messed the machine up .......... so I could not rent that!

A mini trackhoe is simple enough to rent .......assuming that there is some place around that rents them - then you have to have the appropriate trailer to haul it and what not - then get it back fueled and ready for the next person.

SO what does that really cost - after the dust settles? Lets say for a week! Lots of trenching and scooping ..... total cost???? Someone who just rented one, tell me what it costs for curiosity sake and how available it was to get.
And then.......the obvious question.......What happens when you need it again, just for 2 hours, the week after next?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
When was the last time someone "rented" a piece equipment? I need a man lift one time, you know the type that telescopes out, used them before............. reason I could not get it - my homeowners would not cover IF I somehow messed the machine up .......... so I could not rent that!

A mini trackhoe is simple enough to rent .......assuming that there is some place around that rents them - then you have to have the appropriate trailer to haul it and what not - then get it back fueled and ready for the next person.

SO what does that really cost - after the dust settles? Lets say for a week! Lots of trenching and scooping ..... total cost???? Someone who just rented one, tell me what it costs for curiosity sake and how available it was to get.
FWIW - when I rented the trencher, I got insurance from the rental company for a nominal fee.
Also FWIW, their cost for a 3500 lbs. Mini-Ex is $1050 for a week and $2K for a month
Finally FWIW, I reserved my trencher a few days in advance, and the rental company said it was a high demand item (they have several for rent).

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
How much is it to rent a mini-ex for 2 hours?
Please don't try to answer that question. The point is, I use my backhoe very often for a wide variety of things simply because it's there and speeds things up. In rental rates it's paid for itself a few times already. I take it off the tractor twice a year to use the box blade. My advice is that if you think you will use it (why else would you be asking) then it's worth it as long as you don't have to borrow cash to buy it. I would like to have a cab, but for my use it's not very functional. I hop on and off my tractor so many times the cab would be counter productive. If I were mowing, plowing, blowing snow, etc. I would have gotten the cab. I don't do any of those things with my tractor. My advice would be to to drive one with and without the cab if possible, then decide after experiencing both. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Smart move relocating from CA ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW... homedepot canada rents mini ex, 4hr, $200, day is $300, week ,$900. Includes the trailer .
however it's nearly impossible to get one when you NEED it..Murphy'd Law of miniexs......
I don't know what the BH addon cost is to compare, but I do like the idea mine is available 24/7. Neighbour loved it though, when gas company showed up without THEIR TLB...idiots.....I dug the trench in 2 hrs so they could lay their pipe and he got gas.....

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
FWIW... homedepot canada rents mini ex, 4hr, $200, day is $300, week ,$900. Includes the trailer .
however it's nearly impossible to get one when you NEED it..Murphy'd Law of miniexs......
I don't know what the BH addon cost is to compare, but I do like the idea mine is available 24/7. Neighbour loved it though, when gas company showed up without THEIR TLB...idiots.....I dug the trench in 2 hrs so they could lay their pipe and he got gas.....

See thats what I 'm talking about ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SO basically all of us that have one ........... will tell you it is NICE AS HELL TO have one !

But - I can see the other side of said coin ........... if you only gonna use a HOE once in a blue moon - then rent it!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I always love the "rent a mini excavator' advice so often offered by others.
Apparently, everybody is assumed to have a mini ex rental place just down the street.
Obviously, if you didn’t have a rental place, you couldn’t and that should be considered. Just like it’s impossible to say exactly what everyone should buy since everyone’s situation is a little different.

But, I also noticed you advised nothing which isn’t very helpful.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Obviously, if you didn’t have a rental place, you couldn’t and that should be considered. Just like it’s impossible to say exactly what everyone should buy since everyone’s situation is a little different.

But, I also noticed you advised nothing which isn’t very helpful.
OK...... so here is my advice....to be "helpful"!

If you live in an area where a Mini Ex cannot be easily rented, need to dig somewhat often, and would like to have ready availability, then a tractor mounted backhoe would likely be a good idea.
I believed that concept to be generally obvious.

The problem with compact tractor backhoes is that they are often just too small, and with a reach too short.

Owning a large size compact tractor, and a Mini Ex is the ideal situation, but is rather costly.

Reactions: 1 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I don't want a cabbed tractor because I have a cabbed RTV with a Boss plow for when it is too miserable to blow with the tractor.

BUT, for what's it's worth, if I could only have one machine and had a budget, I would choose the cab.

That wasn't my opinion before but then I bought a backhoe for my B and now I know I would have rather put that money towards a small mini-ex.

The backhoe is useful, and for sure better than a hand shovel, but the problem with these small backhoes is you spend more time repositioning than digging, due to the very limited reach.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't want a cabbed tractor because I have a cabbed RTV with a Boss plow for when it is too miserable to blow with the tractor.

BUT, for what's it's worth, if I could only have one machine and had a budget, I would choose the cab.

That wasn't my opinion before but then I bought a backhoe for my B and now I know I would have rather put that money towards a small mini-ex.

The backhoe is useful, and for sure better than a hand shovel, but the problem with these small backhoes is you spend more time repositioning than digging, due to the very limited reach.
My Kubota L48 TLB has an 11' reach.
Not as good as a mini Ex, but a Mini Ex cannot move at 14 mph, and has no 5/8 yd. loader bucket.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My Kubota L48 TLB has an 11' reach.
Not as good as a mini Ex, but a Mini Ex cannot move at 14 mph, and has no 5/8 yd. loader bucket.
Yes....but that's not a B/LX. Yours is almost as large as a backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so back to the original post...
cab or backhoe ?
anyone should be able to make a reasonably ok 'cab' for a few bucaks but few can fab up an entire backhoe, kaching !

Mggray87

Oct 26, 2021
CA
Wow just logged in and saw 2 pages of replies. Thanks so much. Ya I'm def jumping the gun. Dreaming. Can't wait to love on some land. 5-6 acres is large for me. More is awesome but that's my minimum and where the other half wants to go blanco county or in that area. It's pricey. So we're trying to get it now to sit on before it gets out of control. Which to me it already up there.

The only reason I said one or other because prices were similar. Probably don't need a cab. And I'd just have to wait to buy the land to see what it looks like and so I would then know what I'll need to do. The BH I thought of for running the electrical or water mainly but 16" isn't needed when I can get a trencher for small pipe. Biggest job would be a driveway to the house and barn. Like I said. I'm not currently in market because it's a ways out. I just can't wait to have a tractor to do things on my land. The photo of the kid will be me but older. I know I want a huge lawn. So I'll end up cutting weeds and prepping the ground for a nice lawn. The other half knows one of my requirements on property is a nice area for house and I can have my green tidy lawn around entire home.

Again, thanks for the responses I wasn't expecting all these so fast. The tractor community is definitely active.

I'll have to check out my co workers bx23s. Just to get an idea. But without a cab the lx2610 didn't appear to be much more than be paid but he got a couple implements with his 23s

Mggray87

Oct 26, 2021
CA
i mean, is it weird i spend tons of time on youtube watching videos of people running their tractor making driveways, leveling land for lawn, Mowing weeds etc. just random stuff LOL. Always wanted a lawn that I had to get a Ride on mower to mow. I cant wait to have a littttttle bit of space

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
so back to the original post...
cab or backhoe ?
anyone should be able to make a reasonably ok 'cab' for a few bucaks but few can fab up an entire backhoe, kaching !
Agreed. If I can do it anybody can! I can't operate with a cab in the summertime because of both trees, clearances, mowing ditches, etc. So I came up with this 3 piece removeable cab. At the time (2018) I had about $400 into it, and I believe that included the heater, lights, etc. "Form Follows Function".....The roof and two halves are easily removed/installed. I could gain another 100 lbs and there'd still be plenty of room inside. It's warm enough for shirt sleeve snow blowing in sub zero temps. And the visibility is unequaled. It just isn't "Purdy" and has been affectionately called the "Orange Colored Pope Mobile". A perfect description that was!! LOL! It'll be installed on the B2650 in another week or two.

To the "OP": If you think you'd enjoy and have a use for a backhoe...get one. I've had one on my compact tractors since the mid '70s. That one paid for itself many time over during the years. The B2650 was equipped with one when ordered.....no questions asked. It all depends on your particular wants, needs, location, etc. For some people, only the "destination" is important. For others, the "Journey" is just as important. Only you can decide what fits your needs the best after considering all the input from others.

Here's the Orange Pope Mobile! 🤣
B2650 Orange Pope Mobile Cab.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Looking at tractors on the internet: It's normal. At least in this community.

You carefully asked the exact question that attracts the most polarised views. People with backhoes often think they made the right decision. People without backhoes often think that they made the right decision. Funny that. And backhoes are expensive.

Honestly, you can't get sensible advice on it. I'd say that a backhoe is often a want, not a need. If I had the money lying around and a use for one, I'd love to have one. In theory I can rent a mini-ex, in reality I use a spade. If I dug trenches with any frequency I'd rather have a backhoe. But, in terms of things I'd use, I'd probably buy an offset flail mower at similar price before I bought a backhoe, because I'd use an offset flail every second week if I had one. A backhoe I'd use 4-5 times a year. Only you know how much money have have to spend, how often you'd use a backhoe in real life, and whether there are other tractor implements that'd be better for your property (that you don't own yet).

If you have the money, I'd get a second hand mini-ex and a tractor. Then your wife, friend, kids can drive one while you drive the other. Double fun.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Agreed. If I can do it anybody can! I can't operate with a cab in the summertime because of both trees, clearances, mowing ditches, etc. So I came up with this 3 piece removeable cab. At the time (2018) I had about $400 into it, and I believe that included the heater, lights, etc. "Form Follows Function".....The roof and two halves are easily removed/installed. I could gain another 100 lbs and there'd still be plenty of room inside. It's warm enough for shirt sleeve snow blowing in sub zero temps. And the visibility is unequaled. It just isn't "Purdy" and has been affectionately called the "Orange Colored Pope Mobile". A perfect description that was!! LOL! It'll be installed on the B22650 in another week or two.

To the "OP": If you think you'd enjoy and have a use for a backhoe...get one. I've had one on my compact tractors since the mid '70s. That one paid for itself many time over during the years. The B2650 was equipped with one when ordered.....no questions asked. It all depends on your particular wants, needs, location, etc. For some people, only the "destination" is important. For others, the "Journey" is just as important. Only you can decide what fits your needs the best after considering all the input from others.

Here's the Orange Pope Mobile! 🤣
View attachment 68582
I dig The cab!! It actually don’t look that bad man! And all that matters, it keeps the snow off your back. 💪🏻

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Quote: (You carefully asked the exact question that attracts the most polarised views. People with backhoes often think they made the right decision. People without backhoes often think that they made the right decision. Funny that. And backhoes are expensive.)

Guess that's why I'm different. I kinda regret buying mine. Because now when I buy a U27 I'm going to have an expensive piece of metal sitting there.

Don't get me wrong.....it is helpful and I have done some work with it. But when you also need to use that tractor with implements or mowing and you are taking the hoe on and off and the 3 point arms on and off, and repositioning all the time, it gets old fast.

And if you buy the cabbed tractor first, you can always add a backhoe later. And I'm sure a factory cab with air conditioning would be nice where you are.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looking at tractors on the internet: It's normal. At least in this community.

You carefully asked the exact question that attracts the most polarised views. People with backhoes often think they made the right decision. People without backhoes often think that they made the right decision. Funny that. And backhoes are expensive.

Honestly, you can't get sensible advice on it. I'd say that a backhoe is often a want, not a need. If I had the money lying around and a use for one, I'd love to have one. In theory I can rent a mini-ex, in reality I use a spade. If I dug trenches with any frequency I'd rather have a backhoe. But, in terms of things I'd use, I'd probably buy an offset flail mower at similar price before I bought a backhoe, because I'd use an offset flail every second week if I had one. A backhoe I'd use 4-5 times a year. Only you know how much money have have to spend, how often you'd use a backhoe in real life, and whether there are other tractor implements that'd be better for your property (that you don't own yet).

If you have the money, I'd get a second hand mini-ex and a tractor. Then your wife, friend, kids can drive one while you drive the other. Double fun.
I have 32K invested in my (253 hour used) L48TLB + $4,500 trailer.
If I had that same total amount invested in a tractor and Mini Ex, I would need a 40' trailer, a larger tow vehicle, a CDL, and learn to become a grease monkey.
I want to enjoy my play time,...... not being a slave to fixin old worn out chit!