Lifting Question

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I'm looking for some advice on how to set up my tractor to move some material tomorrow. I have an LX2610 Cab model with loaded R14s and I currently have a RB1684 rear blade on it. I'm receiving a Woodland Mills WC-68 which the shipping company has listed at 825 lbs and will drop off at the end of my driveway which leaves me around 300' to transport into my barn . I have PFL 1242 pallet forks on to do the lifting and specs say my lift capacity at the pin is 1067 lbs. which puts me real close to the limit. The question is will this be enough ballast or should I put my rotary cutter on for more ballast?
If all else fails, I can un-crate in the driveway and use the 3-point to get it to the barn for assembly.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked up the 'specs'... 769# is a tad under the 825......
hmmm

options...

1) have them drop off at your garage IF driveway is clean...(don't know why the 'end of driveway'_

2) pull the 'skid of stuff' up to your garage

3) push the 'skid of stuff', have fork take some(most) of the weight

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I looked up the 'specs'... 769# is a tad under the 825......
hmmm

options...

1) have them drop off at your garage IF driveway is clean...(don't know why the 'end of driveway'_

2) pull the 'skid of stuff' up to your garage

3) push the 'skid of stuff', have fork take some(most) of the weight
They are delivering in an 18 wheeler and cannot get any closer than the end of the driveway . I cleaned the snow yesterday so that's not an issue but I have alot of ruts and holes in the asphalt to deal with.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tiss one thing to lift off the ground - another to lift higher off the ground.

I have rolled large logs into my BX bucket ONLY to get 6" off the ground - no higher.

you'll never know till you try - but have plan "B" ready to go

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
What ever you have (ballast) that weighs the most that permits the maneuverability you need….that’s what I would use when I am worried…you know the terrain and distance better than we do. better to have too much ass than not enough. Words to live by. 😉

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm looking for some advice on how to set up my tractor to move some material tomorrow. I have an LX2610 Cab model with loaded R14s and I currently have a RB1684 rear blade on it. I'm receiving a Woodland Mills WC-68 which the shipping company has listed at 825 lbs and will drop off at the end of my driveway which leaves me around 300' to transport into my barn . I have PFL 1242 pallet forks on to do the lifting and specs say my lift capacity at the pin is 1067 lbs. which puts me real close to the limit. The question is will this be enough ballast or should I put my rotary cutter on for more ballast?
If all else fails, I can un-crate in the driveway and use the 3-point to get it to the barn for assembly.
Put as much on the 3pt as you can, strap on, and go, Keep the load as low as possible. You may find you can get more off the ground with the load strapped to the bucket than the forks. I have moved 700# of steel bar with the loader on my B7200 so you are not totally over matched @ 825# with a LX2610. If push comes to shove break the shipping container down and move it in pieces.

Dan

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If freight company sets it on ground crack it open and put on three point at end of drive?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm..TOH is right ! get rid of the shipping container ! Be interesting to see the real weight of the WC-68.
Now if YOU have to unload the trailer, for sure, get rid of the container, lift the WC-68, have the trucker drive ahead, real fast, to clear, then lower 68 to the ground.
This is far safer than trying to backup a tractor with a very full load up front.

I've done this to move giant pumpkins(16-1800#) .1 tractor to lift, another to get trailer into position, MUCH safer !!!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Gravel drive or paved? Snow covered or bare? Smooth or rutted? Hilly or flat?

More rear ballast is always better for a heavy load, but if you have a smooth, level, paved driveway then you only have to lift the load a few inches off the ground. The centre of gravity will still be very low, and there's not much trying to tip you over. Worst comes to worst, you could even slap a couple of snowmobile dollies under the leading edge of the load or bolt a couple of utility wheels to the front of the pallet and let them carry some of the weight.

But if it is a typical unpaved farm lane, rutted and heaved from winter frost, I would definitely use the heaviest counterbalance on the 3ph available.

That's assuming you can even lift it at all, which depends as much on how long the pallet is as how much it weighs. Your forks weigh 220lbs and your pallet is 825, so your load is 1045lbs -- BUT that's not all at the pin. Heck, the back of the pallet forks are probably 6" to a foot out from the pin.

According to tractordata.com, you have quoted the full height lift capacity at the pin. That drops to 769 lbs at 500mm (about 20") forward of the pin. That said, the breakout force at 500mm is listed as 1634 lbs. -- I think that is a more useful number here. Depending on exactly how far out the centre of mass is from the pin, you may be able to lift your pallet off the ground somewhat (although you'll never lift that much to full height).

Depending on the height of the trailer deck, you may or may not be able to lift it sufficiently to unload it from the truck -- but that's going to be a real close thing. Like Jay said, if you can lift it at that height, get the driver to pull forward and lower it towards the ground before trying to move the tractor.

So if you decide to try it, make sure you have the heaviest end of the pallet towards the tractor, keep the load as low as possible, go slow and keep one hand on the joystick ready to drop the load to the ground at an instant if the tractor starts to tip.

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
If freight company sets it on ground crack it open and put on three point at end of drive?
Yes, that is one option, supposed to be in the teens tomorrow and I would like to avoid that if possible.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have had two large heavy items delivered recently via lift gate to the curb and the delivery person used a powered lift jack with wheels to move my item(s) from inside the truck to the lift gate then off of the lift gate up my lengthy paved driveway to a spot near my garage. 2 deliveries where handled this way without a problem. The terms of the deliveries like yours were that they were to be delivered to the curb. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised like me. I tipped the drivers afterward. Good luck.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Those numbers are for full height at pins. My L2501 is listed at a little over 1100lbs but I lift 1350lbs of hay cubes not including the weight of my pallet forks which is around 150lbs. Ballast is your friend. It won’t hurt to add the heaviest implement. use the curl to get the weight towards the frame and lift enough to move. Take it slow and I suspect you will be fine.

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Thanks for all of the replies, I believe I am going to play conservative and put the rotary cutter on for the most ballast. I have plenty of room to maneuver both in the driveway and in the barn. Besides, being new at all of this I can get some practice hooking things up to the 3-point.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for all of the replies, I believe I am going to play conservative and put the rotary cutter on for the most ballast. I have plenty of room to maneuver both in the driveway and in the barn. Besides, being new at all of this I can get some practice hooking things up to the 3-point.
You'll be fine with the rear blade. You only have to lift it enough to carry to your garage. Don't sweat it. Your tractor will do it just fine.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Use the maximum rear ballast you can add, then just lift the pallet a foot off the ground and go slowly. The maximum lift capacity is based on maximum height and you can handle more if it’s low to the ground.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I just received my WC68 on Wednesday of last week. Driver was able to back into my driveway to get his truck off the road, dropped it to the ground with the lift gate, and I pulled it off the lift gate with a chain secured to the back side and under the steel shipping pallet. I made sure the metal skids were parallel to the direction I was pulling, and raised the box blade high enough to lift the leading edge of the pallet off the ground. I was lucky enough to have snow on the ground so it made for an easy pull, but even on gravel it would have followed me to the shop with no problems.

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada
I have same chipper. A good part of the weight, is the all metal frame holding it on the skid. Remove that to start. Then remove some unassembled parts like the heavy discharge blower chute , like 100 pounds or so. By the time you do that it will be a lot lighter. Doesn't take long.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have the same chipperUncrating takes a little time but not so bad you couldn’t do it outside if you had to piecemeal it inside for final assembly and setup. If you had to do that, the only part too heavy to just pick up and carry easily by hand is the core of the thing which attaches to the 3 point on your tractor so shouldn’t be a problem moving that. That would be my plan B if forking it from the ground to the barn didn’t work.

Regardless, since your kind of on the edge of loader capacity and tailgate service is included, have the driver put it on the ground. Most likely you can lift it 6” to slowly move into your barn and if picking it up from the ground doesn’t work, it just doesn’t work; no harm done so long as you keep the operation low and slow in 4WD.

Only thing I would NOT do is take it off the back of the truck with your forks being you’re kind of tight on capacity. If it’s too heavy for however you have your tractor configured, that could cause some real damage (and injury) if it falls when you clear the back of the truck.

Congrats on the new chipper. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I’ve enjoyed mine. It has sure cut down on our ever growing brush piles.

Reactions: 1 users