Lifting Question

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I have the same chipperUncrating takes a little time but not so bad you couldn’t do it outside if you had to piecemeal it inside for final assembly and setup. If you had to do that, the only part too heavy to just pick up and carry easily by hand is the core of the thing which attaches to the 3 point on your tractor so shouldn’t be a problem moving that. That would be my plan B if forking it from the ground to the barn didn’t work.

Regardless, since your kind of on the edge of loader capacity and tailgate service is included, have the driver put it on the ground. Most likely you can lift it 6” to slowly move into your barn and if picking it up from the ground doesn’t work, it just doesn’t work; no harm done so long as you keep the operation low and slow in 4WD.

Only thing I would NOT do is take it off the back of the truck with your forks being you’re kind of tight on capacity. If it’s too heavy for however you have your tractor configured, that could cause some real damage (and injury) if it falls when you clear the back of the truck.

Congrats on the new chipper. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I’ve enjoyed mine. It has sure cut down on our ever growing brush piles.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Hopefully I don't need plan B, but it's not the end of the world if I need to go there. I did put the rotary cutter on today to give me the most ballast that I currently have. As a side note, this was the first time I engaged the cutter and found out quickly that I need to have a little more than idle rpm's to get it spinning without stalling the tractor. Every day is a new learning experience with my tractor which is good since I just retired and I need something to keep my brain cells working LOL

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Use 4WD too so you have some control if you needed to stop and back end was a little light.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I know the weight Police might not be happy but I had a flail mower delivered to my residence for vacation property and where my bx23s is. Driver used lift gate and put it right in the bed of my GMC 2500.
I brought it to vacation property and my bx23s would tilt it back but not lift it. It’s about 3 feet to bed of truck. I had my wife use the loader stick in the lift position and i went in the truck and with my arms lifted the mower up two inches with ease. Then I backed up the tractor slow and lowered. Brought it right to the basement No problems. Pallet forks.

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
It went off without a hitch today. I had the tractor set up with the rotary cutter on for ballast, kept it in 4wd and it was smooth. The truck pulled up and the driver brought the chipper to the back of the truck with his dolly on the wrong side so we decided to see if the tractor could lift it from the truck. All I can say is WOW!. No hesitation at all and no problems lifting or lowering. Once down, I had to travel on my uneven driveway for about 300' and again no problems. I wanted to move it into my shop to assemble so I figured I would try without the cutter on and the tractor moved it around with no problems or feeling tippy. Granted it was on level concrete, but it was good for me to see how it handled. I tend to overthink things especially when doing it for the first time. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Reactions: 7 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It went off without a hitch today. I had the tractor set up with the rotary cutter on for ballast, kept it in 4wd and it was smooth. The truck pulled up and the driver brought the chipper to the back of the truck with his dolly on the wrong side so we decided to see if the tractor could lift it from the truck. All I can say is WOW!. No hesitation at all and no problems lifting or lowering. Once down, I had to travel on my uneven driveway for about 300' and again no problems. I wanted to move it into my shop to assemble so I figured I would try without the cutter on and the tractor moved it around with no problems or feeling tippy. Granted it was on level concrete, but it was good for me to see how it handled. I tend to overthink things especially when doing it for the first time. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Great job. Better to think it through than win a Sydney award. At fast as necessary and as slow as possible.

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada
👍 😀

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Sounds like all went well. One thing to keep in mind, you can carry a lot more than you can lift. I've carried well over 2000 lbs of concrete barriers on my forks. It would not lift the load at all, the load was slid onto it one barrier at a time from the truck bed. It carried it easily in 2wd down my gravel driveway, and it lowered to the ground Very easily. Just for curiosity I stopped while lowering half way down and tried to lift then curl, it would do neither. Also keep in mind that heavy loads like that will put more wear and tear on the front drive train, so mind those wheel bearings and have plenty of ballast.
When you get new toys you should post pics :)

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Sounds like all went well. One thing to keep in mind, you can carry a lot more than you can lift. I've carried well over 2000 lbs of concrete barriers on my forks. It would not lift the load at all, the load was slid onto it one barrier at a time from the truck bed. It carried it easily in 2wd down my gravel driveway, and it lowered to the ground Very easily. Just for curiosity I stopped while lowering half way down and tried to lift then curl, it would do neither. Also keep in mind that heavy loads like that will put more wear and tear on the front drive train, so mind those wheel bearings and have plenty of ballast.
When you get new toys you should post pics :)
Here are some pictures of my tractor and attachments. The chipper is still on the shipping pallet since I'm expecting a sppeco quick hitch to be delivered tomorrow. Then i'll hook it up to measure the pto. Put the tooth bar on today and used it to breakup some of the icy snow piles to help with melting. 20220302_112232.jpg 20220228_160118.jpg 20220302_112112.jpg 20220302_112137.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Just a suggestion if no one has mentioned it. . . The bottom of the shipping container makes a great dolly for storing it in if you have a solid floor.
I just put casters on it and it works out great!

and a pic
chipper_on_dolly_20220302_165714_resized.jpg

Last edited:

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Just a suggestion if no one has mentioned it. . . The bottom of the shipping container makes a great dolly for storing it in if you have a solid floor.

and a pic
View attachment 75958
nice idea,thanks. I'm just starting to think about storage solutions. I'm going to see if I can set the snowblower on the bottom rack just in front of it using the tractor and bottom frame to set and remove it.

RMS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine

and a pic
View attachment 75958
great suggestion, I got some casters today at Tractor Supply while I was getting a carry all frame, I put them on and can now move it around easily. Thanks for the suggestion!

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I'm looking for some advice on how to set up my tractor to move some material tomorrow. I have an LX2610 Cab model with loaded R14s and I currently have a RB1684 rear blade on it. I'm receiving a Woodland Mills WC-68 which the shipping company has listed at 825 lbs and will drop off at the end of my driveway which leaves me around 300' to transport into my barn . I have PFL 1242 pallet forks on to do the lifting and specs say my lift capacity at the pin is 1067 lbs. which puts me real close to the limit. The question is will this be enough ballast or should I put my rotary cutter on for more ballast?
If all else fails, I can un-crate in the driveway and use the 3-point to get it to the barn for assembly.
I unloaded my crated WC68 from the semi trailer deck height with my pallet forks, having the BB1560 box blade (428 lb) on the 3-point for ballast. Handled the lifting, backing up and lowering, and transport 300 ft to my shop just fine. Just go slow at medium rpm.

Keep the tractor in 4wd while handling the chipper, as a bit of bounce can easily relieve the rear tires of traction when there's a heavy load up front. Did I say, go slow?

For all listening out there, my B2650 with a BB1560 box scraper on the 3-point for ballast can lift and move around ANY load the hydraulics can raise off the ground with the forks or bucket. It's PLENTY of ballast!!

So if you add 100lb. to your 319 lb RB1684 blade and there'll be no issue for sure.