Status
Not open for further replies.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It is all about numbers though. Few things are 100 percent safe...play the odds, take your chances...
Then why is there disagreement about getting the serum or not? One gathers information, makes a decision on its truth and how it applies to them and decides.

The problem is politicians think they have the power to demanding their constituents to follow them.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Then why is there disagreement about getting the serum or not? One gathers information, makes a decision on its truth and how it applies to them and decides.

The problem is politicians think they have the power to demanding their constituents to follow them.
FA41643F-7619-4FD9-9894-B6D27BF97EA1.jpeg

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

After following this thread I have kind of concluded that people, after making a decision, and believing it is the correct one, either want to convince others to do what they think is the right thing to do, because they want to help them, or perhaps they want to convenience themselves they made the right choice.

Many governments, or perhaps most of them, have a responsibility to protect (and do what is best for) their citizens. So they may, and likely will, react to a threat. A public health concern is a threat. In a democracy many of a county's leaders are elected, so by definition politicians. So actually they do have the power in many cases to demand their constituents follow them, at least within reason. Just doing what they were elected to do, more or less.

For me the most interesting argument that I see in this thread is that many seem to believe that reports and statistics that differ from what they believe are simply lies, regardless of the source. But then how can one trust sources that make statements that support their position? The other side thinks these sources are all lies, and their sources are truthful. Objectively, what are the chances that either position is 100% correct? Probably zero.

Each of us has VERY limited resources to personally verify things that affect millions of people. There is really no way we can evaluate the effectiveness of a medicine, and so on. So we need to rely of information supplied by others. And doing so requires faith in the sources, since there is no way we can ourselves verify the accuracy of the data being presented. We have to believe some sources in order to discredit others.

I've concluded it goes like this:

Person A: I decided to do this, because....

Person B: Your reasons are all based on lies...

Person A: What did you decide...

Person B: I decided to do this, because...

Person A: Your reasons are all based on lies...

:D

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I've concluded it goes like this:

Person A: I decided to do this, because....

Person B: Your reasons are all based on lies...

Person A: What did you decide...

Person B: I decided to do this, because...

Person A: Your reasons are all based on lies...

:D
One side is DEMANDING that the other take an experimental injection from a rushed fix to a blown out of proportion problem.
The other is DEMANDING that we shouldnt be forced, and value personal choice and freedom.

So not anywhere near as similar as you make it out to be.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
One side is DEMANDING that the other take an experimental injection from a rushed fix to a blown out of proportion problem.
The other is DEMANDING that we shouldnt be forced, and value personal choice and freedom.

So not anywhere near as similar as you make it out to be.
That is a great example of EXACTLY the same thing as what I was alluding to...but I do not think DEMANDING is the correct term. Honestly do not recall anyone in this thread DEMANDING anyone do anything.

Correct me if I am wrong.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
After following this thread I have kind of concluded that people, after making a decision, and believing it is the correct one, either want to convince others to do what they think is the right thing to do, because they want to help them, or perhaps they want to convenience themselves they made the right choice.

Many governments, or perhaps most of them, have a responsibility to protect (and do what is best for) their citizens. So they may, and likely will, react to a threat. A public health concern is a threat. In a democracy many of a county's leaders are elected, so by definition politicians. So actually they do have the power in many cases to demand their constituents follow them, at least within reason. Just doing what they were elected to do, more or less.

For me the most interesting argument that I see in this thread is that many seem to believe that reports and statistics that differ from what they believe are simply lies, regardless of the source. But then how can one trust sources that make statements that support their position? The other side thinks these sources are all lies, and their sources are truthful. Objectively, what are the chances that either position is 100% correct? Probably zero.

Each of us has VERY limited resources to personally verify things that affect millions of people. There is really no way we can evaluate the effectiveness of a medicine, and so on. So we need to rely of information supplied by others. And doing so requires faith in the sources, since there is no way we can ourselves verify the accuracy of the data being presented. We have to believe some sources in order to discredit others.
Since everyone seems to say black is white and red is no color with gay abandon in this thread, here is what I think:

People don't think they can evaluate the science for themselves because when they were in school they didn't pay attention to what was taught. We have a population of biologically illiterate folks. They didn't learn how to learn. Science and math were not valued by their parents or friends. Instead what WAS valued was team sports, and what they spent the most time on. Not a total waste of time, exercise is good, but we have an awful lot of adults that sit in front of the tv watching football.

It is not impossible to learn how to evaluate an original article, to evaluate journals, to evaluate authors on the basis of their education and previous papers, and to teach oneself about new and emerging fields of science if you want to. It is not too late. It is hard work. Most folks seek out the articles that say what they want to hear instead.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Since everyone seems to say black is white and red is no color with gay abandon in this thread, here is what I think:

People don't think they can evaluate the science for themselves because when they were in school they didn't pay attention to what was taught. We have a population of biologically illiterate folks. They didn't learn how to learn. Science and math were not valued by their parents or friends. Instead what WAS valued was team sports, and what they spent the most time on. Not a total waste of time, exercise is good, but we have an awful lot of adults that sit in front of the tv watching football.

It is not impossible to learn how to evaluate an original article, to evaluate journals, to evaluate authors on the basis of their education and previous papers, and to teach oneself about new and emerging fields of science if you want to. It is not too late. It is hard work. Most folks seek out the articles that say what they want to hear instead.
Can you explain how so many "smart" people lack common sense?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
That is a great example of EXACTLY the same thing as what I was alluding to...but I do not think DEMANDING is the correct term. Honestly do not recall anyone in this thread DEMANDING anyone do anything.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Quit playing dumb . There are mandates in place now by employers and governments to get vaccinated and those DEMANDS are driven by pressure from people like you and nothing else.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My supervisor, his wife and kids are all at home sick with Covid. My supervisor and his wife have been vaccinated. I am not sure about the kids.

• Wow

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
3 vaccinated US senators test positive for COVID-19
Sens. Roger Wicker, Angus King and John Hickenlooper announced they contracted COVID-19

It is ok though, it is the lesscovid so it shouldn't count.

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Quit playing dumb . There are mandates in place now by employers and governments to get vaccinated and those DEMANDS are driven by pressure from people like you and nothing else.
LMAO

Employers have the right to set requirements for employment don’t they?

Meet the requirements or work somewhere else seems fair. Would be no different than if an employer required that prospective employees NOT be vaccinated.

Are are you proposing that we limit the freedom of employers to choose their employees?

Nobody is forced to work anywhere today, unlike back in the days of the military draft...maybe before the memory of many here.

I am not proposing anyone do anything at this point...but I will not deny that I think vaccinations (all of them) are beneficial for most.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
LMAO

Employers have the right to set requirements for employment don’t they?

Meet the requirements or work somewhere else seems fair. Would be no different than if an employer required that prospective employees NOT be vaccinated.

Are are you proposing that we limit the freedom of employers to choose their employees?

Nobody is forced to work anywhere today, unlike back in the days of the military draft...maybe before the memory of many here.

I am not proposing anyone do anything at this point...but I will not deny that I think vaccinations (all of them) are beneficial for most.
My wife doesnt just work, she has a career. She was recently told to get vaccinated or get fired. She works from home and isnt physically around co-workers or patients. There is zero need for her employer to require her to get vaccinated but they did.

They are a large medical group with gov contracts and are simply COMPLYING with what the gov has said they should do.

BTW the same company she works for has a heck of a time firing people for things like not doing the work, not showing up on time being insubordinate etc, etc because of strict government involvement in labor laws protecting the employee.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Actually, there are already laws against discrimation in the workplace.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There is an abundance of people willing to work right now, it’ll be fine 😉
I think you meant there are an abundance of open positions right now because lots of people are still getting paid to stay home.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I go back to the original name of this thread.
Let'um Die

And I agree use the brains God gave you or Let'um Die.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I go back to the original name of this thread.
Let'um Die

And I agree use the brains God gave you or Let'um Die.
Well if someone was mis-informed and took an experimental gene therapy that was sold as a "vaccine" that didn't actually "vaccinate" them but caused them to die, I feel bad for them. I don't think we should just "let em die" based on what they were told.

A cure that is so good you need to bribe and threaten people to take it....
For a disease that is so bad you need to be tested to know you have it.

And take several TRILLION dollars from the people at the same time. - Brilliant!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.