Legs too Short to Reach Pedals

Cr555

Equipment
B7300 and B1750
Dec 14, 2014
enterprise, AL
Seriously. My wife is 5'0" (90 pounds, but strong for her size) and she can't reach the pedals on our Kubota without seriously stretching her legs out and leaning forward. She want's to learn to drive our small tractor and I'd like to teach her, but I'm afraid it is unsafe for her to do so unless I can figure out a way for her to comfortably reach the pedals (esp. clutch and hydro forward & reverse). Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution. And, yes, I have thought of a wood block attached to the pedal, but there has to be a better solution (at least I hope there is). There are "pedal extenders" available on the internet. Pricey, but perhaps they would work. All that I have found are made for cars, not tractors. Has anyone tried them? Can anyone recommend one? Any suggestions?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
My wife is about the same size....if I was in your dilemma.....I would tell her to throw on some platform heals like the girls wear at the local gentleman's ballet :rolleyes: and see where it goes from there.....:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
4" platform shoes like OldeEnglish suggested, as well as an adjustable seat that can be slid forward.

Had a roommate that was 4'11". She had to use two pillows to drive a truck. One behind her, and one so she could see over the dash :D had to sit sideways to reach the pedals. She found a set of shoes with 4" soles. She was able to sit straight in the seat and still reach the pedals. She still had to use the pillows though

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Cr555, I am a 5'3" lady, and would have troubles if the seat on mine didn't move forward enough. I think pedal extenders or platform heels ( even as a joke :D:D:D:D) would be scary. Not sure what the controls on your tractor are like, but mine take some practice, eg brake is on the left and rocker throttle reverse takes getting used to, and is hard to work if you are reaching with your toes. Hope the seat on your tractor adjusts ok. Keep us posted!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A neighbor of mine got a used M8540. His wife is 5'1" and she likes to do everything that she can. He cut the clutch and two break peddles and added a couple inches of steel rod so she could reach them easily (he did this on a 35hp ford don't know the model).

Just a thought.:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't think it would be too difficult to make an extension bracket under the seat so it can slide forward further then stock. It would much safer and more comfortable then trying to extend her legs with shoes or wood blocks.

Teikas Dad

Equipment
B3200
Oct 19, 2012
Live Free or Die
My wife had the same problem. I thought my idea was the best, I suggested she buy some new boots for when she drives the tractor.

These immediately came to mind***8230;.

After spending a week sleeping in the barn when the boot idea was rejected, I removed the plate from the bottom of the seat.

Here's the before photo:

The plate was set up on the front two sets of holes in the seat bottom. There's another set of holes that are threaded further back.

The mounting plate fit lined up with the back set of holes but due to the taper of the plate the second set of holes from the front edge of the seat were outside the plate. After pondering for a while I took some 3/16 steel which is the thickness of the seat mounting plate and cut out a couple small triangles. I butt welded the triangles to the edge of the plate, ground down the welds, drilled two holes, primered and painted and this is what it came out like. (I didn't have any method of duplicating that factory coating on the mounting plate so I sprayed it with some Rustoleum satin nickle paint...close enough to original for government work.)

This is the modified plate mounted in the original position.

This is the plate mounted to the back holes.

The modification lets the seat come forward 3 1/2 inches from the factory setting. Here's the seat all the way forward.

Here's the seat all the way back.

Underseat view.

The only thing I found that I need to pay attention to is if I want to tilt the seat up I need to move it forward to clear the T handle that releases the swivel. This modification will actually work for me too as I found that the seat was too far back for long term comfort when operating the backhoe. This should make it more comfortable now as I won't be hunched over trying to reach the BH control levers.

Total cost for the modification: $0 I used a piece of scrap steel and I had the paint around for other projects anyway. The nice thing is I can always put the plate back to the factory position as all of the holes are still in place and the two pieces I welded on don't project out or interfere with anything.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Not to derail this fine discussion of adaptive ergonomics but,

Don't 6" plastic hooker heels and bib overalls kind of clash?

(GACK!)

Seriously, how about getting some of the really good hose clamps and using them to hold some wood or rubber blocks to the pedals? Might have to double or triple them on and trim the excess. That would buy her an inch or two. Just a thought. Let her try it out in low range.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhhuuummm no they don't :rolleyes: if there is a pair of Daisy Dukes involved I wouldn't even notice the boots

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ahhhuuummm no they don't :rolleyes: if there is a pair of Daisy Dukes involved I wouldn't even notice the boots
IN daisy dukes...,not sure if would see the make and model of the truck that ran over my tongue ! :D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
My wife had the same problem. I thought my idea was the best, I suggested she buy some new boots for when she drives the tractor.

After spending a week sleeping in the barn when the boot idea was rejected, I removed the plate from the bottom of the seat.
You should have just picked up the boots and daisy dukes for her and told her that you need her to try this first so you can visualize and take some measurements :D

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Buy some factory made pedal extenders if it's her safety your worried about the cost shouldn't be a factor, safe tractoring.

Cr555

Equipment
B7300 and B1750
Dec 14, 2014
enterprise, AL
Teikas Dad, I like your seat modification . . . I bet if I could move the seat forward two more inches my wife could reach the pedals. It still wouldn't be ideal for her, but she could adapt. Got to check first to see if the seat on my B7300 has the same configuration as your Kubota. I don't have welding equipment at the moment, but if it appears I can perform the same mod, I think I'll visit one of the local machine shops here in Enterprise. Seems like something they could help me with and it should cost an arm and a leg. Thanks! I think I'll pass on the suggestion mama wear high heels and daisy dukes -- she might look good in 'em, but she'd slap me upside the head if I suggested it! We do live in the South though.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Years ago a friend had exactly the same problem with an old willys jeep. His wife was about 4' 11" & 90lbs, and even with the seat all the way forward she still had trouble. She wanted to drive offroad, so we came up with this. We welded up a set of appropriately sized "boxes", welded a pair of tubes to one edge, and welded another tube to each pedal. A bolt & nylock nut acted as a hinge pin, set tight enough to provide enough friction to keep them in place, but still be movable. Flipped down, she could drive, flipped up the pedals were normal height.
P.S.- We only did this on brake & clutch pedals, as the jeep had a hand throttle. (just like a tractor)

Attachments

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Very nice modification Teikas Dad.

461mike

Equipment
BX2200 w/front snowblower, B2650, 54" box scrapper, grapple, 6' plow
Sep 19, 2014
menomonie
I had a different problem but it could be made the same way. I am 6'1" and on my B7610hsd the seat would not go far enough back. I took 1" square aluminum stock and made a crude box shape. I cut 2 pieces to run the same length as the sliders and drilled and bolted them down then made 2 cross pieces to sit atop the other ones and bolted the sliders to that. You can also use 1-1/4" predrilled steel stock. It gave me about 4" more rear travel room. Took me a few hours to build. The seat did not flip up as of yet. I am working on that issue next. Needed more leg room esp. during winter when I am wearing Carharts and such.

If you need some pics I would have to take some
Hope this helps