Left-Right brake pedal question

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks NIW, TJ, Hodge, it is slowly getting clearer how this thing works. Wish I could see the pieces taken apart, just not mine! :D

Sheepfarmer,

Another way of looking at it too, if you turn hard to one side the inside wheel moves very little and the outside wheel moves quite a bit - when you physically stop the inside wheel, the other will move 100% and on many tractors you could literally spin on a dime, the inside wheel would simply pivot on it's own tread. Great for being able to go back down the next row.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yup, spin as close as possible in place to let the tractor line up on the next row pass. You don't have to skip rows and come back.

I haven't unlocked the brakes from each other on my L3200 yet, haven't had the need. Maybe when I start doing the garden with it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks guys, I get the effect of stopping one rear wheel on turning, it was more about not being able to visualize the mechanical connection between the propellor shaft (is this the same as drive shaft?) and the front wheels when in 4 wd so that maybe only one was stopped. It makes sense because if you're stuck maybe only one wheel will turn, but I have never seen the insides of that structure and I am kind of a visual learner.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
This is something you only do on soft surfaces, don't even attempt it on a hard surface like asphalt or concrete. It must allow some slip on the surface or you risk your drivetrain. Same could be said for 4WD overall. Not really needed on the hard stuff.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My Dad and I used to skid a lot of trees for firewood with a '53 Minneapolis-Moline "ZAU" NFE (Narrow Front-end).

Could turn it on a dime in the woods with wheel brakes.

Also, if sideways on a slope, or pulling a hitch off to the side, the wheel on the upper/opposite side was more likely to break traction and spin. (I know, sideways to slope is not ideal:))

You can ride the brake some on the upper/opposite side to keep it that side from spinning.

I don't think Differential Locks were common in 1953.....

My Dad was a teenager when my Grandfather bought the 'Moline, and he still has it. To say he was a gifted operator of it, and a good teacher too, is an understatement.

Still drive with my thumbs on the outside of the wheel......my Kubota and Chevy pickup, too.:D

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
Thanks guys, I get the effect of stopping one rear wheel on turning, it was more about not being able to visualize the mechanical connection between the propellor shaft (is this the same as drive shaft?) and the front wheels when in 4 wd so that maybe only one was stopped. It makes sense because if you're stuck maybe only one wheel will turn, but I have never seen the insides of that structure and I am kind of a visual learner.
Hello,

If you dont have a self locking diff lock in the front axle, with 4WD engaged the rear brake,s are braking the front wheels too, though at least one front wheel which has less adhesion to the ground.
In europe a 40 km/h tractor needs 4 wheel brakes,
Some manufacturers helped themselves to save costs with switching the 4WD drive on each time when the brakes wre applied.

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
Got to play with the brakes over the weekend now that I know what they do.
Let me start by saying it did not help at all when I was in 4wd I guess the front wheel driving kept the front end on the exact path the wheels were turned. When I was in 2wd it would turn like a top on which ever wheel I was braking. The only problem I had was if the wheel locked up if went back to turning almost normal. If I let it role ever so slowly it worked like a charm. I could spin the tractor around a tree like it was a zero turn mower. Impressive for an l3800 with FEL and 60 inch bush hog.