Left-Right brake pedal question

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I have had my L3800 for going on a year now, and the left right brake pedals I have wondered about the entire time. I searched the forum but didn't see anything about the brakes. What is the purpose of the two brake pedals? They have stayed locked together the entire time I have had it but I wonder if there might be a time that being separated they would be of more use. Thanks for any insight.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
When separated they work independently as steering brakes, fro when you turn the steering wheel & the front tires skid a bit & you gently apply the brake on the side in which you wish to turn.
DO NOT use these brakes for steering at any thing over 4 miles per hour. They are for low speed maneuvering ONLY.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
For making ultra tight turns, the application of the brake, to the side of the direction of the turn, makes the front end swing around quicker. For road travel, keep them latched together, so you don't inadvertently swerve out of lane, when stopping, should your foot drop off one pedal. I use the heck out of them, on the L185, with turf tires...:D

Trent

Equipment
B7510
Aug 14, 2015
Henderson, KY
Traditionally, there has been a need for tractors to turn really sharp. I assume the intent is still the same today. With my old Allis Chalmers I could turn sharp, then with the help of applying one brake, really turn around fast - almost pivoting on the one rear wheel. Hope this makes since.

Not sure if I will ever need "one brake at a time turning" with my Kubota. HST and modern power steering is pretty nice.

Trent

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have asked this a few months ago. Knowing that would have helped me when I was bush hogging a property we just bought. There are trees every where. I can't count the number of times that would have made maneuvering around easier. Next time I'm playing in the woods I'll give it a try.

Are the brakes only on the front axle or does is slow both tires on one side?

Trent

Equipment
B7510
Aug 14, 2015
Henderson, KY
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have asked this a few months ago. Knowing that would have helped me when I was bush hogging a property we just bought. There are trees every where. I can't count the number of times that would have made maneuvering around easier. Next time I'm playing in the woods I'll give it a try.

Imagine one rear wheel coming to a complete stop while the other rear wheel continues to travel forward. In the right conditions it can be almost like a zero turn mower. May be a bit hard on grass though.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Traditionally, there has been a need for tractors to turn really sharp. I assume the intent is still the same today. With my old Allis Chalmers I could turn sharp, then with the help of applying one brake, really turn around fast - almost pivoting on the one rear wheel. Hope this makes since.

Not sure if I will ever need "one brake at a time turning" with my Kubota. HST and modern power steering is pretty nice.

Trent

Trent, What kinda AC did you have? I grew up on them. Some of the older ones, early B's, and C's, and WC's, had hand brakes, on either side, by the fender. When cultivating corn, procedure was to lift the cultivators, put your knees up against the straight ahead steering wheel, and yank back on the appropriate brake, do a 180 turn, and then drop the cultivators, and continue on...:D

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba

Rear brakes only.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will have front brakes on one wheel if you one use both pedals at once and you have it in 4wd. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's because the front drive propeller shaft is on the same drive as the rear wheels, so stopping the rear wheels stops the propeller shaft from turning too.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt use steering brake in 4wd,could make for a bit of a hairy situation.
Diff will transfer power to front-aiding in turning, but breaking traction could get front to swing more than expected.
Why have a steering brake on same side as hst pedal? Supposed to use a stick to operate one or the other?
Never could understand that.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You will have front brakes on one wheel if you one use both pedals at once and you have it in 4wd. ;)
If traction is equal, you can have both front tires braking. They, and the differential, have no idea what is going on in the back. If the drive shaft slows down, regardless of the cause, they slow down. If traction is equal at both tires, they both hold the tractor back.
Because of the differential, the only way that one tire can go faster (hold back less) is in a turn (where they travel different arcs/distances), or if one tire speeds up or slows down, or rotates the opposite direction of the other tire.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If traction is equal, you can have both front tires braking. They, and the differential, have no idea what is going on in the back. If the drive shaft slows down, regardless of the cause, they slow down. If traction is equal at both tires, they both hold the tractor back.
Because of the differential, the only way that one tire can go faster (hold back less) is in a turn (where they travel different arcs/distances), or if one tire speeds up or slows down, or rotates the opposite direction of the other tire.
Yes true, it just usually equates to one wheel slowing or stopping and the other slipping or spinning. ;):D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I wouldnt use steering brake in 4wd,could make for a bit of a hairy situation.
Diff will transfer power to front-aiding in turning, but breaking traction could get front to swing more than expected.
Why have a steering brake on same side as hst pedal? Supposed to use a stick to operate one or the other?
Never could understand that.
I grew up row crop farming and the split brakes were essential for improved maneuverability, but have yet to find a need for them on our CUTs, so the brake arrangement on my L5740 is a non issue for me, but the manual indicates use of the cruise control to operate with split/steering brakes.

On L40 Series, the brakes are closer to center-line than the L30 or standrd L, so it is quite easy to use your left foot.

The new L60 Series comes without a clutch and brakes on the left like pretty much all the rest, so I am guessing there will be a natural transition to this configuration on all models over time.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I grew up row crop farming and the split brakes were essential for improved maneuverability, but have yet to find a need for them on our CUTs, so the brake arrangement on my L5740 is a non issue for me, but the manual indicates use of the cruise control to operate with split/steering brakes.

On L40 Series, the brakes are closer to center-line than the L30 or standrd L, so it is quite easy to use your left foot.

The new L60 Series comes without a clutch and brakes on the left like pretty much all the rest, so I am guessing there will be a natural transition to this configuration on all models over time.
With the hydro pedal on the same side as the brake pedals, I haven't been able to contort enough to use the brakes for steering. Tractors still have it, but I imagine that few use them separately.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
With the hydro pedal on the same side as the brake pedals, I haven't been able to contort enough to use the brakes for steering. Tractors still have it, but I imagine that few use them separately.
It is harder on some Kubotas than others. My son could on our L5030, but I could do so only by using the cruise control or my cane.

When I got my L5740, I was able to do so quite easily, but never use them.

I still use them on some of our geared UT and Ag models in the woods, but never on a CUT.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hodge,

funny you mention that - I always thought it was "strange" that you place dual brakes on the SAME side as the "movement pedal"

on the old ford N - I used the brake a lot on hard turns - worked perfectly.....

hell I am glad on the BX series THEY moved the brake to the left rather than keeping it on the right, in deep thought situation I like my foot "on the brake" and my other foot giving a little goose!:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks NIW, TJ, Hodge, it is slowly getting clearer how this thing works. Wish I could see the pieces taken apart, just not mine! :D

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
On other tractors I have used the individual brakes to stop the wheel that is spinning in the mud. Now that I have a working diffy lock, I use it instead.