Leaky steering arm seal please help

modeladay

Equipment
Sold B7100 and purchased a B2150 with FEL
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA

Anyway it's a B2150. The seal on the steering arm is leaking is this a hard fix? it is power steering.Do I simply remove the steering arm and replace the seal or do you have to dig in to it deeper?
I have chased a lot of seals on thing yes its old, I was wondering how difficult this one was going to be? After downloading a PDF of the repair manual it looks like the Sector shaft can be removed without pulling the steering column assembly??? Photos are really bad in the PDF that I paid to download 😞
7404A241-E4B5-4BC5-8470-A4F4FC0F678B.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
What do you need help with? Get a work shop manual(wsm) and ask your question. Can not help you with such a vague question.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
What do you need help with? Get a work shop manual(wsm) and ask your question. Can not help you with such a vague question.
Thanks, the reason why its vague is because after I loaded the photos it won't give me a field to post the rest of the message????? Anyway it's a B2150. The seal on the steering arm is leaking is this a hard fix? it is power steering.Do I simply remove the steering arm and replace the seal or do you have to dig in to it deeper?
I have chased a lot of seals on thing yes its old, I was wondering how difficult this one was going to be
BTW I figured out how to post this in the original post

thanks again
Dusty

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks, the reason why its vague is because after I loaded the photos it won't give me a field to post the rest of the message????? Anyway it's a B2150. The seal on the steering arm is leaking is this a hard fix? it is power steering.Do I simply remove the steering arm and replace the seal or do you have to dig in to it deeper?
I have chased a lot of seals on thing yes its old, I was wondering how difficult this one was going to be
BTW I figured out how to post this in the original post

thanks again
Dusty
I answered a similar question from another B series owner.

The outer seal is only keeping water and dirt out of the box not the fluid in.

Gasket #40 which is not a simple thing as the word gasket would suggest and costing $20 is the part to replace.
forum B2150 steering.jpg

I suggested to the previous owner to try and just remove the sector shaft. He reported back that there was not room and he removed the complete box.

Dave

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
I answered a similar question from another B series owner.

The outer seal is only keeping water and dirt out of the box not the fluid in.

Gasket #40 which is not a simple thing as the word gasket would suggest and costing $20 is the part to replace.
View attachment 47985
I suggested to the previous owner to try and just remove the sector shaft. He reported back that there was not room and he removed the complete box.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I have checked on all the parts I need. I had hoped I wouldn’t have to remove the box😞

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Thanks Dave, I have checked on all the parts I need. I had hoped I wouldn’t have to remove the box😞
The part number 040 gasket has been discontinued??? I guess this is now a Throw away tractor. Why would Kubota quit making parts? There might be some laying around somewhere but I can’t believe this. One service guy tried to convince me that Kubota always over engineer stuff and the part is probably not needed. He said just replace the outside seal and your good to go🤔

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The part number 040 gasket has been discontinued??? I guess this is now a Throw away tractor. Why would Kubota quit making parts? There might be some laying around somewhere but I can’t believe this. One service guy tried to convince me that Kubota always over engineer stuff and the part is probably not needed. He said just replace the outside seal and your good to go🤔
How do you know it's discontinued, I'm not seeing that?

Calling it a throw away tractor is a little harsh.
It's a 32 to 25 year old tractor, there is no money or call for a lot of older tractor parts so they fall out of stock and no longer in production.
You will need to think outside the box if it truly is out of production, there is always a substitute to be had.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
How do you know it's discontinued, I'm not seeing that?

Calling it a throw away tractor is a little harsh.
It's a 32 to 25 year old tractor, there is no money or call for a lot of older tractor parts so they fall out of stock and no longer in production.
You will need to think outside the box if it truly is out of production, there is always a substitute to be had.
I've called three Kubota dealers , all have said its been discontinued and is no longer in stock as far as they could tell. Messick's have told they can get one if one of the four dealers in the country who say they have them actually do. I don't know where to start for a substitute? THANKS

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The part number 040 gasket has been discontinued???
Jones Farm Supply has 2 on the shelf... took about a minute to find. The other big 2 (Messicks and Coleman) say 5-10 & 3-5 days out.

As far as this comment, this seal ("gasket") is a glorified hydraulic cylinder rod seal which goes inside the gland. I'm sure it could be matched up at a good hydraulic shop.

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
He said just replace the outside seal and your good to go🤔
He is dead wrong... find a new service guy!

The other repair thread....

Last edited:

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
He is dead wrong... find a new service guy!

The other repair thread....
I did not take what he said seriously, service guys for the most part are appointment takers and that’s the extent of the mechanical knowledge 😁 I have already replaced a seal in the steering column so I have had the tractor apart that far. Lots of stuff so it couldn’t be that much more to get the box off( I hope!) The thing I don’t understand is marking stuff to get it reassembled correctly. Will I need a special tool to remove the pitman arm? Thanks again!!!

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
As a follow up messicks found the part at a warehouse that specializes in discontinued parts. They are supposed to have 2 of them? Won’t know for sure until Tuesday. I’ll let you know how it comes out but I have a feeling I’m over my head on this one. Old and stupid do not make a good combo 🙂 BTW why does it cost $20 plus for shipping a part that probably only weighs a couple ounces?!

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
BTW why does it cost $20 plus for shipping a part that probably only weighs a couple ounces?!
Because they can. I've given Colemans more business for that reason.

Btw, Jones Farm Supply is the warehouse I'm sure they're referring to. Shipping is $5.95 buying directly.
Will I need a special tool to remove the pitman arm?
Yes, you will need a pitman arm puller. Harbor freight, or borrow from auto zone or advance.
The thing I don’t understand is marking stuff to get it reassembled correctly.
The face of the sector shaft and pitman arm may (should) be scribed or marked. If not mark it.
The gear on the sector shaft where it hits the ballnut may have a paint mark. If not a drop of paint pen will assure getting it right. If you miss by a tooth you won't get full turning range.

Last edited:

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Because they can. I've given Colemans more business for that reason.

Btw, Jones Farm Supply is the warehouse I'm sure they're referring to. Shipping is $5.95 buying directly.

Yes, you will need a pitman arm puller. Harbor freight, or borrow from auto zone or advance.

The face of the sector shaft and pitman arm may (should) be scribed or marked. If not mark it.
The gear on the sector shaft where it hits the ballnut may have a paint mark. If not a drop of paint pen will assure getting it right. If you miss by a tooth you won't get full turning range.
What about putting the sector shaft back in? How will I know that it is positioned correctly? Does only go back in on way?

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
What about putting the sector shaft back in? How will I know that it is positioned correctly? Does only go back in on way?
It can go back in multiple ways, but only works one way. Easy to figure out on a work bench if you've done it before. First timer on the machine makes it a little more difficult.
Take a look at the post again... a dab of paint pen on the ballnut and gear if not marked. Or, use a sharpie, pics, masking tape with an a mark, etc. ..... Whatever works for you.

Looking closely at your pic the face of the pitman arm and sector shaft is already scribed.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Study the attached part of the WSM closely.

Pay particular attention to page S7-27 regarding the orientation of the two sector shaft seals. The internal one needs to face inwards and the outer dust one faces outwards.

This internal seal is the one labelled as a gasket in the Messicks parts illustration.

Dave

Attachments

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The internal one needs to face inwards and the outer dust one faces outwards.
True... it almost looks like you're installing the outer dust seal backwards, but it's correct with the lip outward. (Thanks Dave)
Why they call the inner seal an oil seal in the WSM, and a gasket in the parts diagram is beyond me.:unsure:
And as stated in the other thread... keep it clean! Pressure wash before removal/disassembly if possible.

Last edited:

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
True... it almost looks like you're installing the outer dust seal backwards, but it's correct with the lip outward. (Thanks Dave)
Why they call the inner seal an oil seal in the WSM, and a gasket in the parts diagram is beyond me.:unsure:
And as stated in the other thread... keep it clean! Pressure wash before removal/disassembly if possible.
I hate to Be a pain in the ass but which side of the seal is the outer. If the flat side is the outer than the dust seal is in backwards?