Leaky steering arm seal please help

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I hate to Be a pain in the ass but which side of the seal is the outer. If the flat side is the outer than the dust seal is in backwards?
Look at the illustration. The flat sides of the two seals need to face each other or be back to back.

The lip on the inner seal needs to be pressed tighter against the shaft as the pressure increases.

The lip on the outer seal needs to press tighter when someone directs a hose or pressure washer at the pitman arm area.

forum steering seals.jpg

If not clear ask more questions

Dave

modeladay

Equipment
Sold B7100 and purchased a B2150 with FEL
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
So if I look on the outside of the steering box at the pitman arm I would see a the flat side of the seal. If I were able to look through the cover on the other side of the box and see the inner seal I would also see the flat side.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
No.... exactly the opposite
Ok I think I got it🙂 parts may come at the end of the week or first of next week. I will start disassembly which starts with removing the loader😞 I will follow up as to what happens... thanks again

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Just as a follow up I removed the loader today, I’m still waiting on parts its been over a week😞 I’m wondering if they’re having a hard time finding the so called gasket? Don’t want to disassemble until the parts get here because it will take up space in my garage. I’m going to try and do this with the steering box on the tractor but I need to get the hood and so forth removed to see if there’s clearance. I’ll no doubt be back with more questions. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just as a follow up I removed the loader today, I’m still waiting on parts its been over a week😞 I’m wondering if they’re having a hard time finding the so called gasket? Don’t want to disassemble until the parts get here because it will take up space in my garage. I’m going to try and do this with the steering box on the tractor but I need to get the hood and so forth removed to see if there’s clearance. I’ll no doubt be back with more questions. Thanks again!
When the gasket/seal arrives please take a photo of it before you install.

Dave

Adam G

Equipment
BX22 (Sold) B2920, LA364, BH65 w/Thumb, RCK60, Woods 5000 chipper, Bush Hog rear
Apr 1, 2018
Upstate NY
Never done one on a tractor. If its anything like the old automotive steering boxes.
Remove the pitman arm, any related washers or snap rings. With box still in tractor, start tractor and turn steering wheel, pressure will push out both seals. Might make a slight mess. Not sure this would work on tractor.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It may be too late but if you didn’t get installed yet there may be some very small printed names and numbers on the inner seal(gasket). If you can get pictures of that information then you would be able to get that matched at a good auto place or hydraulic shop so you’re not just tied to the OEM part.

I guess the information is also on the old seal so you may want to keep it and put it away for future reference to match.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
It may be too late but if you didn’t get installed yet there may be some very small printed names and numbers on the inner seal(gasket). If you can get pictures of that information then you would be able to get that matched at a good auto place or hydraulic shop so you’re not just tied to the OEM part.

I guess the information is also on the old seal so you may want to keep it and put it away for future reference to match.
Good suggestion, I looked and there is nothing on the seal😞 will I have to dig this seal out or will it come out easily? I would like to pull it out in one piece just to eye ball it and look for where it failed.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
😞 will I have to dig this seal out or will it come out easily?
Seal should come out easily with a pick tool or small screwdriver. Take care not to scratch the gland it sits in.

Fyi, I don't believe mine had any marks or numbers on it either.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Look at the illustration. The flat sides of the two seals need to face each other or be back to back.

The lip on the inner seal needs to be pressed tighter against the shaft as the pressure increases.

The lip on the outer seal needs to press tighter when someone directs a hose or pressure washer at the pitman arm area.

View attachment 48080

If not clear ask more questions

Dave
Dave you knew I would be back, how does the needle bearing come out? I have tugged on gently and it did not move. also the outer dust cover is just coming out in pieces. My back give out about half way through and I give up on it for today. Anyway if you can tell how to get the bearing without wrecking it than i will have that much done. I know we will have to revisit the directions the seals go in, I'm still confused as to what side goes in and what side is out. I may take detail photos of the seals and this way you can point me in the right direction. But after looking at everything I took apart to get the sector shaft out I may not figure out how it all goes back together:-( Thanks again for your help and others here.

dusty

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Dave you knew I would be back, how does the needle bearing come out? I have tugged on gently and it did not move. also the outer dust cover is just coming out in pieces. My back give out about half way through and I give up on it for today. Anyway if you can tell how to get the bearing without wrecking it than i will have that much done. I know we will have to revisit the directions the seals go in, I'm still confused as to what side goes in and what side is out. I may take detail photos of the seals and this way you can point me in the right direction. But after looking at everything I took apart to get the sector shaft out I may not figure out how it all goes back together:-( Thanks again for your help and others here.

dusty
The needle bearing shouldn't need to come out. On every one I've seen, the oil seal (gasket ) is soft and gets rolled into the gland.
Like this ... tool is not needed ...

Dust seal should have a metal outer that has to be pried out like any other press fit seal. You'll be fine just note the way the original seals are in there.
Dave should have the WSM pages for you.

Last edited: