Laser Pointer Buying Advice.

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
So, we had an uninvited guest ring our doorbell last week at 4:30am. The lady was working the "night shift" so to speak and had somehow ended up in my neighborhood. I thought she was a decoy for the rest of the crew so we never opened the door and the police were called. The neighbor found her bag of needles and heroin the next day but couldn't tie it to her due to lack of evidence. So, I'm looking for some non-lethal devices for peace-of-mind if nothing else.

Have any of you used a red or green laser pointer? I'd like the bad guys/gals to think I'm aiming a gun at them or possibly temporarily blind them.

Any recommendations?

As a side note, two guys parked on my street a few days later and were obviously looking for the bag. They didn't know it was given to the police.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I have one called "Assassin", Amazon if I remember. However, I think a laser actually mounted on a gun would be way more effective. Non lethal route, consider a super bright flashlight.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
add a lot of super bright LEDs that'll come on when doorbell is pressed.....
old skool is to trip a taperecorder of a 'big,nasty dog ' barking.....

I have both 7 watt red and green LEDs that'll 'go the distance'

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So, we had an uninvited guest ring our doorbell last week at 4:30am. The lady was working the "night shift" so to speak and had somehow ended up in my neighborhood. I thought she was a decoy for the rest of the crew so we never opened the door and the police were called. The neighbor found her bag of needles and heroin the next day but couldn't tie it to her due to lack of evidence. So, I'm looking for some non-lethal devices for peace-of-mind if nothing else.

Have any of you used a red or green laser pointer? I'd like the bad guys/gals to think I'm aiming a gun at them or possibly temporarily blind them.

Any recommendations?

As a side note, two guys parked on my street a few days later and were obviously looking for the bag. They didn't know it was given to the police.
NO to using the laser to temporarily blinding someone! The liability is off the scale.
They only work to scare them if they can see it, and if they are smart enough to understand what it is.
The red dot to the chest is only good in movie situations!
and if they do have a gun they know exactly where to shoot!

#1 shot gun, if you want it non lethal rubber shot!
Bright flashlight with a strobe light are great hand held.
Pepper spray (aka bear spray) is excellent against any kind of intruder!
A Big Dog! Heck even a little yappy dog does some good.
Taser!
Air horns work great too.
Alarm siren and flashing lights will drive most off in nothing flat!
Ring door bells are great for these sort of situations, you can disorient / talk/ yell /see them without ever going near the door.
Really bright flood lights, there are some specifically designed for these situations.

Reactions: 1 users

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Please, don't use a laser to scare someone unless it is actually attached to a weapon or you have one readily available. You may be dealing with the one that will call your bluff and you will be wishing you had something more than a battery powered light when projectiles start flying toward you. As you stated, it implies you have a weapon aimed at them.
As noted, it's pretty easy to follow a green laser to the source (you) in the dark. I prefer the green, as they can be seen during the day, but if you see mine at night, it will be the flash immediately after the green laser to run from.
People bold enough to come to your house during hours that you are most likely home are not ones to play with!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Powerful laser-pointers are, in some ways, just as dangerous as guns. They can blind. They can bring unwanted attention and responses To the User. They are NOT harmless or without Risk.

As I pilot, I have had my cockpit ”lit-up” over metropolitan areas while on final approach to runways….and that is because Some laser owners are Irresponsible and/or Ignorant of the hazards. If you choose to use a laser…. don’t be ignorant and don’t think for a moment that it does not expose YOU to hazards and risk when you use it!

I endorse all of Wolfman’s suggestions (except the rubber bullets one. If you use a gun…use it for it’s intended purpose and only when it’s appropriate ….and NEVER for display or “warning shots” or “rubber bullets”. (Rubber Bullets maim and kill also.).

Get proper Training in whatever deterrence you choose.

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Any recommendations?

Not a good tactic. Lasers can do permanent damage and leave you open to a legal Hell. As said, they can also lead someone to think you are pointing a gun at them. Which opens the door for them to LEGALLY shoot YOU. Especially if you have a gun that shoots rubber rounds.
Your best bet, if you do not want a lethal option, is sound (horn, siren) and illumination. Bright exterior lighting that is automatic and/ or on command. A high quality, high powered flashlight that has a strobe mode is handy. Not some chinesium amazon junk that may fail when you need it. A solid, quality torch WILL temporarily blind someone. My Inforce on the X95 will have someone seeing stars in strobe mode. My Streamlight handheld will give you a headache at 1200 lumens.

Reactions: 3 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
You already did the best thing. Keep doors locked, call 911. Open upstairs window and advise the person to leave.
A small laser could be mistaken for a lethal weapon and the trespasser may feel they are in mortal danger and take quicker action. Stand your ground works both ways.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I would say if you are looking for non-lethal, then prepper spray is a better choice (check you local laws). Realizing that not everyone is allowed to own firearms, pointing a laser at someone that may or may not have a gun is not the best option if all you have is the laser.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Another non lethal option is to set up a couple of sprinklers right close to the door and sidewalk attached to an electric solenoid that you can turn on from inside the house. May not drive everyone away, but most people don’t like getting wet and will at least discourage them enough to buy some time to get the police there.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Another non lethal option is to set up a couple of sprinklers right close to the door and sidewalk attached to an electric solenoid that you can turn on from inside the house. May not drive everyone away, but most people don’t like getting wet and will at least discourage them enough to buy some time to get the police there.
THAT would be fun!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
non-lethal is a no-no.

if you bruise an intruder or trespasser, they can legally sue you, and it does happen.

if you are threatened, shoot to kill, within the legal means to do so (if that is an option in your state--some states have different laws).

They tell you all about it in CCL training.

laser just makes people mad. A big one can burn pretty good. If you took someone's eyesight and they run off, sure you temporarily eliminated the threat. But they can easily take you to court for damages done by the laser, or whatever kind of non-lethal means you've used. In the end a lot of times they learned nothing from the experience, go back to doing the same things.

Plenty of that around here. Crankheads robbing people, they get caught and not long later, back doing it again. Repeat, over and over and over and over again. The justice system often does not teach them anything other than they can get 3 meals and a cot, which a lot of them look forward to, to be honest. I know one of those. Been arrested 140 some odd times since age 16 (we are both 47).

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Since you have already requested police investigation, I would recommend contacting the police with the information that the 'bag crew' were back and active again; request the police to increase their neighborhood patrols (or start neighborhood patrols) particularly during the hours of unwanted activity by the 'night crew'. Your justification for this very reasonable request is 'in the bag'. Don't be shy or timid about contacting the police with these reports and / or requests; your'e well within your right to do so (squeaky wheel gets the grease) and if their response isn't up to standards contact your local government representative (ward counselor, select board member, etc.) and make a similar request through those channels. It's a request, not a complaint (yet!).

Since I see that your'e in CT any advice for anything with a trigger is obviously out of the question, since your elected representatives have more or less outlawed anything with a trigger! :oops: All previous advice concerning liability is very good BTW, and I also agree that pointing a laser is way too likely to draw an unwanted response; your efforts should be oriented at dissuading escalation rather than encouraging it. People involved with drugs carry guns (without any training or legality) to protect their drugs and cash.

Become well versed in calling the police for assistance in securing your neighborhood, regular interaction should rightfully lead to regular performance by them.

One last thing: SOLAR POWERED MOTION ACTIVATED SECURITY LIGHTING. Amazon is a great source for those things. (y)

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
And dump some red fabric dye powder in the hose.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
clipped
Since I see that your'e in CT any advice for anything with a trigger is obviously out of the question, since your elected representatives have more or less outlawed anything with a trigger! :oops: (y)
clipped
Not at all true ! Have friends and family in that state and some are very well armed and CCP'ed.

www.cga.ct.gov/olr
OLRequest@cga.ct.gov
Connecticut General Assembly
Office of Legislative Research
Stephanie A. D’Ambrose, Director
(860) 240-8400
Room 5300
Legislative Office Building
Summary of State Gun Laws
By: OLR Staff
January 31, 2020 | 2020-R-0025
Issue
Summarize Connecticut’s gun laws. (This report updates OLR Report 2013-R-0001.)
Summary
The Connecticut Constitution (Article First, § 15) gives every citizen the right to bear arms in
defense of himself or herself and the state. For regulatory purposes, state law designates four types
of firearms: handguns (pistols and revolvers), long guns (rifles and shotguns), assault weapons, and
machine guns. The degree of regulation depends on the type of firearm and, for sales and
transfers, whether they are being conducted by federal firearms licensed gun dealers or by private
sellers not required to be licensed. Certain categories of people may not legally possess firearms or
get credentials to carry them.

Last edited by a moderator:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A large canine, but even that might cause you troubles. It is a shame a freeman has to huddle behind locked doors and still does not feel safe, and where you are your options are pretty limited