Landpride fixed Bar Box Scraper (BB1260)

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Was using my box scraper yesterday to level ground that had just been cleared. Noticed my BB was not sitting flat to ground. Checked my Speeco quick hitch attach which was adjusted correctly. That's when I discovered this had happened??? No "freakin" idea what I did or may have hit while working the BB. Bottom line is I have to get it fixed. Ordered new left and right hand hitch straps that will be here on Tuesday. Around $28 dollars a piece plus $11 shipping. This had to have occurred while pushing dirt vs pulling?? Wondering if anyone has had this happen? Also, once I get the new straps on Tuesday...would it be worth my while to weld on some reinforcment pieces to each strap to make them a littler more "beefier"???

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its designed to pull, and it will push as well but you were pushin more than it was designed to push,, like I said they is made to pull

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I'd not replace with same as old size. Put some beefier straps there. 1" ID pipe might work better than flats.

bmotojoe

Equipment
2012 L4240HST LA854 LOADER
May 30, 2012
East of Seattle
Without welding that piece the top link attaches to the main frame, it will for sure happen again, major pivot point. My BB2572 plate material is 1/2" and where yours is bolted in one spot mine has two and the pin for the 3 point. After you receive your new parts I would remove that flat bar (with the single bolt), grind the paint off re-install all new and old parts reset connections with tractor and run a 100% continuous weld around that flat bar to main frame in the single bolt area.
Here is the way mine is bolted to the main frame.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
That flat stock steel will bend easy under force. I would consider upgrading to some angle iron or weld reinforcement to the new pieces. Looks like Landpride cut corners by using flat stock.

Reactions: 1 user

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A cross brace, like a collar tie, half way down crossways joining the two together. Can do it with new replacement pieces. Big gain for little work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok I've seen some oddly bent pieces of equipment over the years but that takes the cake!

Were you using the ripper teeth?:confused:
Did you back into something really solid like a tree of a tank? :eek:
That's the only way I can think of that bending like that.
The three point will rise when too much force is applied when pushing dirt in reverse, so it wasn't just pushing dirt!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We've added reinforcement to some equipment and not other, always a balance between do you want to bend rather than break and replace or bend/break something on the equipment or tractor.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Ok I've seen some oddly bent pieces of equipment over the years but that takes the cake!

Were you using the ripper teeth?:confused:
Did you back into something really solid like a tree of a tank? :eek:
That's the only way I can think of that bending like that.
The three point will rise when too much force is applied when pushing dirt in reverse, so it wasn't just pushing dirt!
Wolfman,
Yes my teeth were down 1 notch from bottom of cutting blades. I sure don't remember hitting anything particularly hard but based on bending obviously did. With this being my first year of being a tractor owner, I find myself learning what exactly my tractor and attachments can/can't do. I do know that my BB has really made a "visual" change of property and really goes hand in hand with the FEL as far as work being done. Guess I will have to be a little more careful on what I ask it to do next time.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
We've added reinforcement to some equipment and not other, always a balance between do you want to bend rather than break and replace or bend/break something on the equipment or tractor.
TripleR...Great point and thought...replacing the straps is alot cheaper than what could have been damaged or broken. Thanks for the thought.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
An interesting fact that may enter. Steel has a property called "work hardening". If you pound the bent straps back to straight, they actually are then stronger than before. As an example take a piece of steel wire and bend it. Straighten it and try to bend again and it likely will bend in a different place.

So straightening it out is one step. The welding at ends helps also. However, I'd aslo attach that angle iron to the strap as a third step.

This thread (among others recently) is just one more reason why I'd give second thoughts about buying that brand.

Comments from a civil engineer.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Another comment: I did a search for "box blades". It seems each one I saw is built just like the one in this thread. In looking at the photos, it is quite clear that if the ripping teeth hit an immovable object, the rear inclined members will be in compression. In addition the weight of the box will resist the upward rotation of the box about the pins at the lift arms. So, what to do about it? Reinforce them I suppose.

Attachments

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
As a Civil Engineer you ought to be able to appreciate Euler's Column Buckling.
I too have a LP scraper but don't have a huge tractor. Looking at some other designs, Some manufacturers have the back angle designed differently, others have beefier "A" frames going to the front where the ripper bars are mounted. Everything Attachments has a box scraper where the rear leg appears to be a small "C" channel. Likely stronger for instances like described above.
I can't remember where I saw it, but there is a manufacturer where the "A" frame is more like a huge shroud that almost goes all the way back to the rear scraper blade.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't seem to have this problem….. sometimes the old iron is best.
Seriously, I would beef up those straps.

Attachments

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
This is EXACTLY what you get when it is said, "you get what you pay for".

You don't want problems, you need to pay more and get better stuff. The manufacturer's build different levels of implements to many different price points to serve many needs. Research and experience gets you what you actually need.

For noobies, they need to trust someone, just need to be able to know who to trust. :confused:

As far as Land Pride box blades, all one has to do is look and they can see the different styles and quality. 6 different build qualities. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I suppose we should stand back a little before we jump.

Here is a comment on previous page that makes sense.

"We've added reinforcement to some equipment and not other, always a balance between do you want to bend rather than break and replace or bend/break something on the equipment or tractor."

A balance between power and user experience or know how maybe should take priority as to what to do.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
I received the new support straps for box scraper and installed easily. Decided to follow advise from OTT member TripleR. $50+ is less than breaking something that really gets into your pocket.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Think of those bent bars as a fuse. They may have saved something much more expensive.

Bruce

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Think of those bent bars as a fuse. They may have saved something much more expensive.
You may be right….

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm thinking maybe on shitty box slipped through the cracks at Landpride that shouldn't have.

They make decent attachments for tractors and are purpose built for Kubotas.