L5740 surging forward and reverse

Joelogger

Equipment
Kubota 5740, farmi winch, woods 8’ rear blade, Dettson 7’ blower
Jan 12, 2022
New Brunswick
Recently my l5740 HST had a slight surge when moving forward and reverse. Changed the fluid and filters, while doing this I noticed the rubber hose at the suction side of the hydraulic pump was cracked, replaced this. Now the surging is even worse and when I release the pedal quick it tries to go in the opposite direction. The linkage all connected to the pedal seem free moving. Looking for any advice to hopefully locate the problem before I have to look inside

Joelogger

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
New Brunswick
Thanks D2Cat, yes I have taken the mat out and cleaned the whole floor space ( wasn’t bad anyway), I got under and sprayed all the linkages with spray lubricant. I think it may have to head to the dealer.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
make any difference if it's in high HST or low HST range? Have you tried to adjust the hst sensitivity if you have that adjustment in the dash?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Curious if any progress has been made on the diagnostics or if problem solved.

The instrument panel can provide feedback on stored error codes, and view sensor outputs with engine off and running. This can be helpful in understanding if one of the sensors is acting up. Hold both switches down while turning key to on position. A beep should be heard. From there I believe menu H reports stored codes and A can display sensor outputs. One needs to be careful with this feature as you can mess things up. The WSM covers in detail the various menus.

Example:
1642724521017.png

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I have no direct info, but the earlier version of the HST had an external damper on the linkage that limited the "speed" at which shifting actually took place inside. It compensated for abrupt pedal movements. To limit pressure spikes there must be a corresponding function inside the later design. The L5740 WSM should say something about it.

RichHuey

Equipment
L4760
May 9, 2022
Phoenixville, PA
I have no direct info, but the earlier version of the HST had an external damper on the linkage that limited the "speed" at which shifting actually took place inside. It compensated for abrupt pedal movements. To limit pressure spikes there must be a corresponding function inside the later design. The L5740 WSM should say something about it.
My L4760 is having a similar problem.

Stopped being able to go forward all together, wants to go backward even at neutral pedal.
Surges when going backwards. Initial saw this problem after tractor heated up, now it happens all the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

Joelogger

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
New Brunswick

Stopped being able to go forward all together, wants to go backward even at neutral pedal.
Surges when going backwards. Initial saw this problem after tractor heated up, now it happens all the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Rich
It ended up being the 2 proportioning valves, under the cab directly below the pedal. They were rusting within the coil end of the valve, and sticking real bad.

Reactions: 1 users

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
It ended up being the 2 proportioning valves, under the cab directly below the pedal. They were rusting within the coil end of the valve, and sticking real bad.
Valuable post !! These machines are not very old and to have vital operational valves not be weatherproof is not typical of Kubota's historically high build quality. Hope they have revisited this component now that it is showing its vulnerability.

RichHuey

Equipment
L4760
May 9, 2022
Phoenixville, PA
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I need all the help I can get.

When you say proportioning valves, do you mean something like part # TD170-59310 ?

I replaced the lower one without any change. I will replace the top one next. (it is harder to get to...)

This failure is significant, with neutral pedal (even at start up) the tractor will aggressively go backwards, brakes don't do much. You have to think quickly and shut down the machine.

Let me know if I have the correct part #

Thanks

Rich

Joelogger

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
New Brunswick

When you say proportioning valves, do you mean something like part # TD170-59310 ?

I replaced the lower one without any change. I will replace the top one next. (it is harder to get to...)

This failure is significant, with neutral pedal (even at start up) the tractor will aggressively go backwards, brakes don't do much. You have to think quickly and shut down the machine.

Thanks

Rich
I wil have to look at my boxes that they came in. I will take pics and post later

Joelogger

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
New Brunswick
I wil have to look at my boxes that they came in. I will take pics and post later
I have a couple pics to share, part#, and location of the proportioning valves is behind the guard beside the filter directly below hydrostatic pedal.

Attachments

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA

Thanks

Rich
Curious if you have resolved your issue and what the solution was.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Curious if they could be cleaned up (removed rust) or if new were needed. Did you replace both or just one?

Reactions: 1 user

Brad Ames

Equipment
l4760 HST/Cab
Jul 4, 2023
Skowhegan Maine

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Rich
I’m having the exact same issue. New to me 2015 L4760 HST CAB. I’m researching now. Wondering if it could be the foot pedal sensor?

Brad Ames

Equipment
l4760 HST/Cab
Jul 4, 2023
Skowhegan Maine
Can they be cleaned up? Or do you need to replace? Should 8 do both or remove and inspect to see which one is rusty?
I’ve got both of mine off and no evidence of rust, but I can’t seem to crack into the coil end of the valves. Which is why the probability just need to be replaced.

Heavyopp

Equipment
B1750 manual trans, B1750 HST, L4330 HST factory cab, L5740 HST factory cab
Dec 7, 2023
New jersey
Anyone know which valve controls which direction?
Top valve for forward or reverse?

I have a problem with reverse on a 5740. New valve is inbound.