L4701 won't start now need help please

Kris P.

Equipment
Kubota L4701 w/LA765 bucket & land pride 7' brush hog
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
Hello all new member here. Ok I'm trying to help my dad with his kubota L4701 he had to replace the safety switch under the seat. Someone he knows was over and took screwdriver and shorted it across to find out the switch was bad after they did that it was giving an E-20 code. Well dad calls me and has me come help figure out what it was, hes not good working with computers, so I did a search and it comes up that it's a communication error. Well I discovered that it was a blown fuse (5amp main ecu) so I replaced it and we checked and error code was gone but it still will not start is there anything else that I'm possibly missing?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Sounds like the switch is bad. Have you replaced it? Or adjusted it so will work correctly?

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
Yes we replaced the safety switch under the seat dad done had it installed when I got there but I never thought to check if it needed adjustment

I'm also helping him with another tractor I've done somewhat of a restoration on (replaced guages, wiring, painted) and starter button quit working so dad just started it by shorting across the starter solenoid it blew inline fuse I added and not sure if it fried safety switch but going back today with ohm meter and start diagnosing it

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’d sure recommend you guys stop shorting things. Get the WSM for that L4701.

Reactions: 1 user

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
I’d sure recommend you guys stop shorting things. Get the WSM for that L4701.

I agree with you but try telling him that he's worse than a stubborn mule lol but truthfully i wouldn't expect less of the man he served his country for close to 40yrs.

plus I've already downloaded it to my phone so I have to handy

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The seat switch won't stop it from starting if everything else is right, but if the pto is engaged or the hst pedal is not centered it won't start. The 3 switches work to keep people from being run over by their own tractor. Shorting things randomly could get expensive.

Start over by sitting in seat firmly. Then move pto lever on and off and then leave in off position. Try to start it. Same with hst pedal, and clean around the switch area of pedal to see if some mud is keeping it from centering. If no luck use diagnostic tree in wsm to see which one is not working.

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
Sheepfarmer were not shorting out to test dad had someone over and he was the one that shorted the seat safety switch to check if it was bad not dad.

When I said dad was shorting the starter solenoid it's on a different tractor (massey furguson) and before I did some restoration on it that was the way he started it for several years, one of the reasons that I redone all the wiring and replaced all the guages so he wouldn't have to keep shorting it to start it. the push button starter switch I installed quit working and he was to impatient to wait for me to replace it I added a picture of the massey before and after of the wiring so you can see how bad it was and why I wanted to rewire it

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please explain what you mean by “won’t start”. Does it spin the engine and won’t fire off, or just not much electrical action from the key to starter.

I think you are trying to say the starter won’t spin when you use the key but the starter will spin the engine but you don’t say the engine is running.

You may want to elaborate on if the dash lights will operate or not, if glow plugs are operating or not. I don’t think that you have said that much about the problem but I may have missed it

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer were not shorting out to test dad had someone over and he was the one that shorted the seat safety switch to check if it was bad not dad.

When I said dad was shorting the starter solenoid it's on a different tractor (massey furguson) and before I did some restoration on it that was the way he started it for several years, one of the reasons that I redone all the wiring and replaced all the guages so he wouldn't have to keep shorting it to start it. the push button starter switch I installed quit working and he was to impatient to wait for me to replace it I added a picture of the massey before and after of the wiring so you can see how bad it was and why I wanted to rewire it
Sorry Kris, I get to worrying on these newer tractors if you or someone else starts to blow fuses that the ECM will be damaged. Your work on the Massey looks real nice. As I suggested before, go back and check the easy stuff first, it just might be a bad contact with the pto switch. If not start with the battery and then the ground cable.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Better clarity on the real issue, won't start (fire) or won't crank over?
Did this issue just happen out of the blue?
Why go to the seat switch?

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
When turning key on dash lights up we had error e-20 and tried to start and it does nothing (no starter turning) replaced a fuse for main ECU (ignition key) it took care of the error code still wouldn't do anything when trying to start (turning over or starter turning nothing) I ran the diagnostic test and come up with error 31 and once error 75 I've checked all fuses and there good I've put in gear and back out turned PTO switch on and off still nothing just dash lights

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
Better clarity on the real issue, won't start (fire) or won't crank over?
Did this issue just happen out of the blue?
Why go to the seat switch?
It won't fire or turn over nor anything from starter just hear fuel pump. the seat safety switch went out and someone was over there helping my dad and there the one that grounded out the switch to check it after that is when error 20 showed up

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
E-20 Communication trouble
E-31 Part code of meter and ECU model setting not compatible
E-75 Acceleration sensor output out of spec
Call or take it to your dealer, you are in over your head.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
E-20 Communication trouble
E-31 Part code of meter and ECU model setting not compatible
E-75 Acceleration sensor output out of spec
Call or take it to your dealer, you are in over your head.
Kris - whitetiger knows what he’s talking about.

I would be calling your dealer.....

Kris P.

Equipment
Feb 26, 2021
Arkansas
We've done talked it over and my next day off were going to pull tractor out of barn and take front bucket off and drop the brush hog then load it up and take it in bad part is the closest dealer is 35 miles and there not worth a $#!@ they never want to help you so taking it to another location that is an hour drive away

FossilFuelPhil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701
Sep 22, 2017
Canyon Lake TX
I think the Manufacturer needs to know that (some of) the dealer networks suck at customer service. Some may be great, like Messicks, but some just don't give a flip out here in podunkland Texas. You drop $40K , get a smile and never hear from them again. When you have an issue, you fight for warranty service, or you are on your own. At least when I had an issue with my Land Pride 72 cutter, and the dealer had assembled the rear wheel yoke improperly (bronze spacer in wrong position) and the weld in the yoke broke as a result after warranty expired, they FED EX'd me a whole new tail wheel assembly overnight after I sent them the photo of it.
Oh well, not a rant, just a gentle orange vent. I always ran my businesses with the customer in mind.