L4701 I am an idiot how screwed am I ?

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
The guy may be 100% legit. It could be just extremely bad luck. The probability is it is something else, but there is a possibility that it did just break when you got it home and calling a person a conman without proof can provide legal challenges along the lines of defamation of character.

I wish you the best of luck and will be interesting to see what the final resolution is.
As others have mentioned usually fuel is problem !! Water,dirt,algae or air usually the culprit ?? If original bought filters at Kubota dealer they would have record of it !!!
Long story short bought a 2019 L4701 from an individual with 94 hrs . I test drove it for about 10 min everything seemed fine. Get it delivered to my house and drove it 200 yards and it starts acting up. Let it sit sounds like crap. Run it to dealer hr later who says he thinks it might need a new engine. Oil was sparkly. Regular warranty is out but stil 4 years on power train. With 94hrs I would hope kabota takes care of it. Dealer says they send off samples etc. Will know in 2-3 weeks. Any recourse?
[/QUOTE

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
I wish I could give yall more answers, what a great group of people to try to help. I just know what the dealership said. They didn't go into too much detail just basically we had a tech look at it, it is really bad. This was probably after an hour of them having it. We thought it would throw a rod so we stopped and, we have sent off the oil sample. It was shiny or shimmering I can't remember the exact phrasing as I was in total shock at that point. I was thinking they would find a small issue and I would be out a little money to fix it. Guy was very nice and felt bad for me and all but basically said lets wait and see what Kubota says and we will go from there. I would like to know what the engine codes say etc..I think that will tell a lot. I don't have a previous relationship with the dealership, unfortunately. I have seen good reviews but you know how that goes. It was the closest one to me and it sounds kinda dumb but they aren't in the city so I figured most country folks are a little more honest. HA, of course, I grew up in the city but moved to the country as fast as I could. If anyone knows anything about the Kubota dealer in Navasota Texas, please let me know. As far as being a conman that sold it to me, if he was he was really good. Of course the good ones are, from what I hear. I keep telling myself its only money, no one is dying or in the hospital. Life happens and just learn from your mistakes as best you can. I am remembering a little more about the history of the tractor. The guy I bought it from bought it in July. He said he bought it from a guy with 19hours on it and I have his name and place he bought it from. He sent me a screenshot of the paperwork showing the original owner had paid off Kubota. At the time I was worried about it being stolen. So I do have the original Kubota dealer's information and original owner name. Maybe I will call that dealership and see if they have any other history on the tractor?

Reactions: 2 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It ended up dieing out and then wouldn't start for a few minutes. It sounded like it was having a hard time turning over.
I've seen this before (not Kubota, small gasoline engine). Started fine cold. Might stall while warming up and if it did, would be hard to turn over. Wait a minute and it would turn over fine. It would start and run all day once warmed up. Eventually killed one bearing. According to the mechanic, the clearance was slightly too tight from the factory and would close up as the various engine parts warmed up & expanded at different rates. Manufacturer initially tried to deny warranty coverage, claiming the engine must have been run without oil but the mechanic wasn't having any of that since everything else inside was mint and went to bat for us.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
jday, I would suggest care about what you post about the shop working on your tractor. They likely have ”ears” on these forums.

I also would avoid going-around them too obviously (publicly) seeking opinions on your repair or on them until they get back with you on a suggested solution.

WCTractor has been in business a loonng time and has a good reputation with many agricultural operations in that surrounding area. (Just keep in mind that gossip gets-around, especially on the internet…and for now you certainly need them to be on your side..) ;)

A worse-case situation might still have an acceptable solution…. for example, if it comes back that the entire engine repair/replacement scheme falls on Your pocketbook…. if you establish a good relationship with them … they may be able to take that tractor ”in” on-trade and offer a good financial deal on something else in their inventory. (Example: They can repair/replace that engine for themselves cheaper than they can for a retail customer and then place it in their used-inventory.…meanwhile forming a new-customer relationship with you….and that way your present problem isn’t a total loss.) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Thanks, Geohorn that's good advice, I wasn't trying to bash them at all or go around them. Honestly! I hope it didn't come across as such. They have been great, I just said I didn't know them or have a relationship with them previously. I totally agree, I definitely need them on my side!! I only posted on this forum to see if anyone had any experience dealing with this type of issue. Was this a fluke or is there a history with the L4701 I don't know about. I only mentioned the dealership because I was seeking input to see if anyone had any experience with that particular dealership. I figured someone might know them and say you are in good hands etc..... As previously stated I had heard good reviews on them, which is why I took it there. I didn't think I said anything bad about the company. I just reported what they told me, but I know communication over a forum can be tricky. For the record, they have been great, and I have no issues with them. Hope that clears things up.

Reactions: 3 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Just one more time asking this. I might have missed a response. Are the filters the original grey filters or are they new Kubota filters. Do they have a date or hour written on them? Do the oil pan bolts look weird--as in slightly over tightened. But most important did you save a sample of the oil. It is pretty cheap to get the oil tested and you might learn something valuable from the results.
The L4701 engine is a great engine so yours must have had something really rare go wrong with it or somebody accidentally screwed it up.

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Currently sitting at dealer so can’t get it look at those things but I sure appreciate you trying to help. When results come back I will see next steps and look into your questions. Thanks everyone for your help!! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
jday, what Bark is trying to explain is…when new tractors are issued to owners the spin on filters (all of them, engine and hydraulics) are grey. So a simple way to determine if the 50 hour was accomplished is to look at the filters… If they are ANY color other than grey…. they’ve been changed from original factory filters.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
jday, what Bark is trying to explain is…when new tractors are issued to owners the spin on filters (all of them, engine and hydraulics) are grey. So a simple way to determine if the 50 hour was accomplished is to look at the filters… If they are ANY color other than grey…. they’ve been changed from original factory filters.
The hydraulic filter on my dealer delivered new MX6000 is white. It is Kubota brand, but white.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The hydraulic filter on my dealer delivered new MX6000 is white. It is Kubota brand, but white.
The original grey filter might have been damaged in transport, and the dealer replaced it with a new one from inventory.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Even if the 50 hour service wasn’t done, 94 hours is not enough over that to have caused damage to the engine.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The original grey filter might have been damaged in transport, and the dealer replaced it with a new one from inventory.
I checked and all of the other filters are grey, just one white hydraulic filter on the right side where the connector block for loader hydraulics is.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I hope Kubota will help you out and cover any issues. Best wishes!

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
So update!!!! Just heard from Navasota WC dealership. Kabota is going to cover it under the Warranty! Praise the lord!! Thanks for all the help everyone. If you need a great dealership see Frank!! Beyond happy and blessed! They have earned a customer for life! Have a great weekend everyone!

Reactions: 16 users

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Also called original owner he answered the phone and was very happy. If he was ripping me off no way he answers phone. Long live Kabota!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Also called original owner he answered the phone and was very happy. If he was ripping me off no way he answers phone. Long live Kabota!
That's great news!

Reactions: 1 users

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
Great to hear things worked out!!

Reactions: 1 users