L3800 Working On A Slope

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I have a L3800 HST with a loader. I do some minor landscaping on the side. I have a piece of land to prep and seed with grass. This piece of land is on a pretty good slope. It is bare dirt that was spread with a dozer, so I will be power raking it to smooth it over, then fertilizing and seeding it. I have a Land Pride 3 point seeder, but am unsure of the best way to use it on this slope. I wish I had taken a picture of the slope. I think I can go across the slope on one end, but the other end may be forced to go up and down. I will know better once I get on the hill with the tractor as I will be able to feel it out. I have done some work on slants before and if it dont feel comfortable, I back out of it, which the pucker factor only made me do twice. This hill I may be able to go diagonally on it to. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with operating a L3800 or similar size tractor on a slope?

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I have a L3800 HST with a loader. I do some minor landscaping on the side. I have a piece of land to prep and seed with grass. This piece of land is on a pretty good slope. It is bare dirt that was spread with a dozer, so I will be power raking it to smooth it over, then fertilizing and seeding it. I have a Land Pride 3 point seeder, but am unsure of the best way to use it on this slope. I wish I had taken a picture of the slope. I think I can go across the slope on one end, but the other end may be forced to go up and down. I will know better once I get on the hill with the tractor as I will be able to feel it out. I have done some work on slants before and if it dont feel comfortable, I back out of it, which the pucker factor only made me do twice. This hill I may be able to go diagonally on it to. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with operating a L3800 or similar size tractor on a slope?
RobD70,

We have a slope and an L3700SU (same as L3800). Yes, we have used the tractor on the slope a lot. HOWEVER......never at an angle, only up and down. I leave the fel attached and lower it as I reach the top and go over the edge. The 3 point always has either the 3 pt. mower or box blade attached. Wheels are also weighted with fill.

Rationale: Your wheel(s) may go into a rut, or hit a rock, or just a soft spot enough to tip you over if you go at an angle. Most old timers and experienced tractor operators will also not recommend going at an angle across a hill or a slope. PF can get high just going up and down. A gopher can put your tractor over if you hit the soft spot at the wrong time.

It really doesn't make much difference what the tractor is, a diagonal run on a hill is just what the cable guy would say: "That ain't right!"

Good luck,

Burt

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
RobD70,

We have a slope and an L3700SU (same as L3800). Yes, we have used the tractor on the slope a lot. HOWEVER......never at an angle, only up and down. I leave the fel attached and lower it as I reach the top and go over the edge. The 3 point always has either the 3 pt. mower or box blade attached. Wheels are also weighted with fill.

Rationale: Your wheel(s) may go into a rut, or hit a rock, or just a soft spot enough to tip you over if you go at an angle. Most old timers and experienced tractor operators will also not recommend going at an angle across a hill or a slope. PF can get high just going up and down. A gopher can put your tractor over if you hit the soft spot at the wrong time.

It really doesn't make much difference what the tractor is, a diagonal run on a hill is just what the cable guy would say: "That ain't right!"

Good luck,

Burt
Burt,
I understand what your saying anf have thought about it. When I have to power rake the entiure thing to level it and get it smooth for grass, I was just thinking of the next best way to do it if I cant goacross the slope. I like to go both directions with the power rake to get it to its best. Once I get on it with the tractor, I wont go cross ways unless I feel comfortable, which leaves up and down or diagonally. I know diagonal might not be wise.....as it just takes the front downside tire to hit a hole or soft spot and over ya go. Im hoping if forced to go just up and down, I can get it good enough. I will figure it out and this is one thing where I have no plans to push it to the breaking point.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally pull the loader off mine when working slopes, that lowers the center of gravity tremendously.
I would avoid any diagonal work, it's too easy to get into serious trouble too quick.
Even side sloping can be very risky on tilled / loose ground.
you will get good results going up and down on the slope and you can change angle very slightly to get some cross hatching if you use a drill to plant, if you use a broadcast spreader it won't matter which direction you go.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I agree with Wolfman. With the FEL attached it raises the CG of the tractor, and the CG of the FEL itself is way out in front. Worse when you are going downhill. The tractor works better without it.

As you most likely know, if you have ag tires, put them out as wide as they will go. With R4 tires, if you are going to be on hills a fair amount, get about 3" wheel spacers for the rear - it makes LOT of difference. Actually, the same goes for the ag's - wheel spacers help.

One thing to look out for if you have HST is the fluid level in the tranny. I have gears, but found the hard way that if you lean downhill too much the pump sucks air, and the FEL doesn't work. It brought me to a fairly abrupt stop at the bottom. I'm not sure what the consequences would be with HST. I added some fluid, and all is OK.

One final thing is that when you are going downhill - more so with the FEL attached - the weight is shifted to the front axle. Since the brakes are on the rear wheels, in 2WD you can suddenly find yourself without them. Learning that can be scary. Use 4WD.

It sounds like a fun job to me -- enjoy!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I agree with taking the loader off. My loader stays off unless needed and the tractor works better in every situation...

Also set your rear tires out widest setting if ya have Ag tires.

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I have the industrial tires. I also will be using the loader to take rocks off, plus the 3 point seeder is almost 1200 lbs so I wont be taking the loader off. I can go up and down the slope, im not worried about that. Im hoping to be able to go across the hill. I will see how it is once I get the tractor on it and how it feels. I am sure 1 part I can but the wide end may be an issue. If it dont feel comfortable, I wont even try it. Not worth testing the limits.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You would be foolish to take the loader off. As you say you need it for counter weight for the three point seeder. Keep your bucket low, use a slow speed and keep it in 4wd and you will be fine.

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
Well, I got the work done this past Saturday. I could go sideways on the slope for most of it, only about 1/3 of it that I didnt as the comfort level went away in that portion. Wasnt worth even trying. I power raked the entire thing and got it nice, then used the 3 point land pride seeder. It is the PS1572 model. First time I used it and it works well. Anyhow, I got the work on the slope done and stayed on all 4 tires.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm glad to get a good report! Thanks, and enjoy!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I would think that going 'uphill' the FEL with a couple of old cured bags of "oops, left the concrete out in the rain" kind of counterweight would be great for going uphill but horrible for down hill.

It would stand to reason that uphill you'd want that CG way out in front, as far as you could get it. Downhill is just the opposite, you want it as far back as you could get it.

Thus the 'old timers' just don't turn around and go up, then back it down, slide over, go up, then back it down. This is by far the safest way and you keep your loader on with the bucket weighted down. Any slippage and you drop that front buck the last couple of inches and it anchors you very fast.