L3450 with LOW hours blows blue smoke

Tundra206

Equipment
L3450
Nov 14, 2013
Seattle, WA
Hey everyone, new member here, not new to tractors or Kubota's, but really haven't had a Kubota that's had any issue like this.

We bought a Kubota L3450 tractor earlier this year. It's only showing about 500 hours. I highly doubt it's not original hours. The previous (original) owner was an older man who used it on his farm. The engine and everything else looks great with no leaks, overall a very tight, nice looking machine.

The problem that i'm having with it is that it smokes blue smoke. If it warms up a little I can get a mix of blue/black if I step on the foot throttle or just drive off in high gear. But other times I take off in higher gear and its just a cloud of blue smoke like a train from the 1800's. The air filter was complete trash when I got it, so its been replaced and I cleaned the canister because it was full of fine Idaho dust. I also replaced the fuel filter and did an engine oil/filter change. Also ran some Amsoil diesel concentrate, which I think is good stuff. It seemed like that little tuneup helped, especially the air filter. But it still happens regardless.

The tractor works great though, motor definitely has big power and starts easily and runs good. When I find the time, I'm planning to take it to the tractor shop for a leak down test, compression test, dyno testing, and just hear what they think.

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How old is the fuel in the tank?
Can you tell if there is any oil consumption?
Could someone have monkeyed with the injectors, or attempted to turn up the pump? Blue smoke usually indicates oil burning while black is excessive fuel.
Have you check the air filter, to make sure there are no obstructions?
Welcome to OTT!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Sounds like it wasn't maintained very well, with the air filter condition and dust.

That said, with use it might get better? Our old L3750 been blowing a little blue smoke for 13 years and it just keeps on chuggin...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's smoking just way too much I suspect that with them running a dirty air cleaner they scared the cylinder walls.
It sounds like a rebuild is in your future.;)

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Just check that the engine oil level is correct - overfilled diesel engines burn oil! Probably isn't your problem, but worth a 20 second check.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Other thing to check would be the connecting hose from the air cleaner canister to the intake. We had a case backhoe once that the hose was collapsing when the engine was sucking in air hard causing power loss and a lot of black smoke. At idle or off the hose looked normal so it took a long time to figure it out. Put a new hose on and it was like a new animal.