L3301 running away with itself

DMont12

Equipment
L3301
Dec 30, 2023
Oregon
I have a Kubota L3301 that has recently tried to basicly run away with itself it acts like. The first time it did it it started again after sitting over night. Now it will not it acts like it comes up hard on compression. But there’s nothing in the cylinders. It had the codes u0081-83 on the dash. I’m not at all firmiliar with these little tractors. I understand everything but the electronics of them. I’m fairly mechanical but very lost. Any help is greatly appreciated

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I will likely not be of much help, and have no idea of your tractor knowledge, but are you sure its not the "regen" thing happening for the emissions?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, found this..previous post..

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a Kubota L3301 that has recently tried to basicly run away with itself it acts like. The first time it did it it started again after sitting over night. Now it will not it acts like it comes up hard on compression. But there’s nothing in the cylinders. It had the codes u0081-83 on the dash. I’m not at all firmiliar with these little tractors. I understand everything but the electronics of them. I’m fairly mechanical but very lost. Any help is greatly appreciated
The codes indicate a CAN fram0e error. Time for help from someone with diagnostic software and scan tool - e.g. your friendly dealer service department.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yup lovely CANbus... inspect EVERY connector, every wire,every harness..odds are either vermin chewed a few or a connector has 'magically' wiggled loose and you find it. If you do, then then 'computer' should 'reset' the CANbus, clear CANbus codes and carry on normally.......

Reactions: 1 user

DMont12

Equipment
L3301
Dec 30, 2023
Oregon
Yup lovely CANbus... inspect EVERY connector, every wire,every harness..odds are either vermin chewed a few or a connector has 'magically' wiggled loose and you find it. If you do, then then 'computer' should 'reset' the CANbus, clear CANbus codes and carry on normally.......
Thank you

DMont12

Equipment
L3301
Dec 30, 2023
Oregon
Thank you very much

DMont12

Equipment
L3301
Dec 30, 2023
Oregon
Can anyone shed any light on the runaway? Could something with the emissions be causing it? What had me puzzled is the injector pump and governor etc seems to be fine. Unless it’s an injector sticking which it’s hard to tell with everything going through the burner before it goes out the pipe. But it acts up way worse when it’s close to or during a regen. I’m not sure if these systems work the same as big trucks I’m assuming they are similar.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can anyone shed any light on the runaway? Could something with the emissions be causing it? What had me puzzled is the injector pump and governor etc seems to be fine. Unless it’s an injector sticking which it’s hard to tell with everything going through the burner before it goes out the pipe. But it acts up way worse when it’s close to or during a regen. I’m not sure if these systems work the same as big trucks I’m assuming they are similar.
What has me puzzled is there is no injector / injection pump, and there is no governor on that engine so how do you think they are fine???

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I don't know if this fits with the error codes but when these models were first out there were a few runaways and there was a campaign to solve the problem"cold weather fix kit". Basically if water vapor gets into air breather and oil separator and freezes it causes a runaway. If you search the forum for threads using L3301 and runaway you will find more information and some pictures of the replaced items as they appeared on my 3560. You will need parts and assistance from a dealer to fix this I think.

Reactions: 4 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
some people call the supply pump the "injector pump".

I doubt it's an injector issue. Usually on these if there is a problem, generally they bypass and it either is very hard to start or won't start at all, and have codes for low rail pressure and sometimes high rail pressure. But again you need the software and hardware to see that stuff. IOW, dealer only at this point.

Explain runaway. Generally when I hear runaway in the same sentence as diesel engine, one of two things are the usual cause. (A)-the fuel system is malfunctioning such that it cannot control rpm with fueling. Since there is no throttle valve, there is nothing else to control the engine speed. Or, (B)-it's running on it's own lube oil. On L3301/3901 and others, this was an issue and there was a recall for it, but only on the very early models (like 2013/14 if I remember right). Basically Kubota put a tiny plug in the valve cover crankcase vavle vent when they painted the engines. On a few of them they forgot to take the plug out, and they'd stick-allowing oil to enter the engine's intake manifold. Diesels will run on their own oil. An oil level that is grossly high can also be a cause, so you might look at that. So your description doesn't really compute in my pea brain. maybe I'm misunderstanding? And how do ya know there's nothing in the cylinders? Have you had it apart or??

but with the codes you've talked about, I'd expect a can system error, perhaps something that reads the control side of the crankshaft speed position sensor. That sensor is located behind the RH side loader main frame kinda in front of where your right foot goes. Sensor is buried back in there, reads off of the flywheel. There are (I think) 91 holes in the flywheel that it reads off of. If the sensor or the can system has an issue it can't properly read the crank position (or speed) and thus it will begin to lose control over what is happening. Generally you'd see a crank sensor code populate, along with an erratic RPM reading in the digital tach (which is part of "A" mode in the panel).