L3301 HST. Regen

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
What rpm does it take on your L3301 to turn off the increase rpm light? On my tractor, it requires 2700 to 2800 rpms to turn off the increase rpm light. :confused:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Sorry it means time 3. Mine does it like yours and Takotas.
Times 2, times 3, etc. it means the same or I agree with however many earlier posters.
Same here I should say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
2700-2800 RPM is normal for the 3301 and 3901 for the regeneration process to start. It has to be revved up like that in order to maintain enough heat in the DPF to burn the soot off. When the light comes on, just go wide open and let it eat.

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
2700-2800 RPM is normal for the 3301 and 3901 for the regeneration process to start. It has to be revved up like that in order to maintain enough heat in the DPF to burn the soot off. When the light comes on, just go wide open and let it eat.
Ok, but what should I do when I am doing PTO work, does that mean I have to shut down my chipper or tiller, stop work and wait until the "REGEN" finish? :(

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok, but what should I do when I am doing PTO work, does that mean I have to shut down my chipper or tiller, stop work and wait until the "REGEN" finish? :(
What rpm does it take to reach 540 for your pto? It is fine to do regen at higher than the minimum.

Most likely thing that will happen if you are running at pto rpm's is that it won't ask to do a regen (unless you are turning it on and off a lot). The reason I say this is that on my tractor there is a meter, a bar graph, that shows the %full of the dpf. It typically takes 2-4% to warm the tractor up. But if I mow (flail mower) using the pto, which on mine is 2426 rpm, the % full goes down, so in an hour or so I might reduce the dpf level 15-20%. So once you get going with your tiller it is unlikely to need it unless it is triggered before it is done warming up.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
My L3901DT has regen a couple of times while I have been using my wood chipper (Woodmaxx WM-8M) and I didn't have to change the RPMs (PTO speed) at all.

If the engine is under any kind of load it should go into the regen without you doing anything.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
No, you keep working. The DPF lamp (upper right corner) will light and stay lit until regen is complete. When it comes on (not blinking), just continue running the tractor, don't shut it off, don't idle it down, just keep using it.

It's real simple, unfortunately the fender sticker and owners manual are not simple enough.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Now one thing worth mentioning.....

I know someone who doesn't know a thing about this new regen stuff, and apparently doesn't care either. Those lights in the dash mean nothing. The beeper means nothing. He ignored both. Stage 2 DPF began at 176 hours. At 300, stage 5. Tractor will not make any power. He keeps running it. It'll idle up, and get hot and idle itself down so it doesn't eat it's own pistons. Guy shuts key off and starts over. Repeats the process. Tractor has 341 hours on it and the #2 piston is melted. Looks like someone ran a torch down the one side of it. No compression on #2. #1 and #3 are very weak as well, was burning oil. Block and head junk. Actually running on it's own oil at several points (code stored several times for engine overspeeding-which is usually sustained RPM above 3500). the 2 higher stages of DPF soot level contribute to extremely high EGT's, which destroys internal engine parts. This particular tractor owner is looking at roughly $15,000 to replace the engine and DPF. At one point I borrowed his tractor to clean up a lot next to my house, took me maybe 2 hours at most with a rough cut mower (bush hog). The regen light was blinking at the time I picked it up but nothing beeping. I just revved it to wide open and the light went on solid (no blink), and within 10 minutes it went off. At the time I think it had 14 hours on it.

It has a flashing red light in the dash. It has a beeper. When it starts beeping, you should stop and do a parked regen. This is not common unless an operator just ignores the flashing light in the dash (L3301/3901/4701). A parked regen consists of a flashing DPF light (upper right corner) and the "RPM" light below it (has an up arrow through the engine). They both blink. This means you need to increase the engine speed. In other words on the L3301/3901/4701, wide open. Looking for around 2400 RPM +. If you hear the beeper, put all transmission shifters (and HST pedal if equipped) in neutral, set the park brake and mash the RIGHT HAND button. On the dash there are two buttons on the left side fo the steering wheel. Left one is DPF regen inhibit. Leave that one alone. The right one is auto engine speed. Mash that one in and the engine will rev up on it's own a few seconds after you push it in, and it will regen automatically, then the engine will return to idle speed once it's done.

Actually the DPF inhibit (left) button really has no purpose other than to confuse people! Just leave it alone unless you're in a hay barn working, with dry hay laying around, because the exhaust outlet temp can get up to around 1100 degrees...which obviously will make fire with dry vegetation. That is the button's ONLY purpose.

Also a regen can't be done on a cold engine-it has to be at operating temperature. So if you hop on the tractor for the first time in the morning, and it wants to regen, just let it warm up a little then go wide open. It'll do the rest while you're working (unless of course its a stage 2 or 3). And similarly, if you're an operator who hops on the tractor, runs it for 30 seconds, then turns the engine off...and does this frequently, the engine will not reach operating temperature and it will want to regen more frequently. If you're not going to be off of it for more than, say, 5 minutes, leave it running. Frequent starting and stopping of the engine will wear it out quicker and will also plug up the DPF quicker, resulting in frequent regeneration.

Stage 4 regen can't be done by an operator-must be done at dealer using diag master. Usually a stage 5 means it's junk-time to replace the DPF or at the very least have it cleaned. Stage 4 and 5 is obvious.....the engine will barely run, no power, beeping, codes showing on the hour meter, etc. The tractor lets you know, and in the case of my buddy, warranty ain't gonna help him because he just ignored all the lights and beeper, and admitted to it. I figure he'll fix it (insurance probably) and then sell it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lugbolt, good engine saving information...but a SAD story!

There's a quote that fits your neighbor: "Wisdom chases me, but I run faster"!

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
Thanks Lugbolt - I think I'm finally understanding the regen process. I do run the engine at higher rpm's and have only been asked to do the regen twice in my 95 hours of tractoring ....
-DT

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Thanks Lugbolt - I think I'm finally understanding the regen process. I do run the engine at higher rpm's and have only been asked to do the regen twice in my 95 hours of tractoring ....
-DT
My goodness, only twice in 95 hours, what are your normal higher rpm's. My L3301 is requesting a Regen approximately, every 12-14 hours. :confused:

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
My L3901 how often it regens depends on how I run it. If I'm doing loader work or the like at lower rpm or up and down it regens about every 10 to 12 hrs. If i'm mowing/bushhoging, working the horse arena, working it hard at pto speed (2500rpm) it will go 30 to 40 hrs between regens. Mine has 215 hrs on it.

axlst2

Equipment
BX1500 with BB1248 and 3pt quick hitch; L3901 with FEL, BH77, and 42" QA forks
May 21, 2016
Powhatan, VA, USA
The frequency of regen is obviously in parallel to the average RPMs you operate at. I've run a L3301 for low RPM loader work and my own L3901 for backhoe work. My L3901 is on 21 hours with no regens while the L3301 is on 100 hours and just completed its 6th regen.

Really the regen is not confusing. It's just like running high pressure through a water line to clear an obstruction at scheduled intervals. People are always afraid of what they don't understand. :rolleyes:

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
My goodness, only twice in 95 hours, what are your normal higher rpm's. My L3301 is requesting a Regen approximately, every 12-14 hours. :confused:
Yeah maybe it is more ... I almost didn't notice when it happend today. But I'm thinking no more than four in 96 hours. I run it around the pto mark more or less. I never idle it below 1100 rpm's including starting and stopping. Leave her running unless I'll be off more than 5 min. I posted here the first time I saw the light but can't remember how many hours it was .... maybe 30 or 40 ??

-DT

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

I know someone who doesn't know a thing about this new regen stuff, and apparently doesn't care either. Those lights in the dash mean nothing. The beeper means nothing. He ignored both. Stage 2 DPF began at 176 hours. At 300, stage 5. Tractor will not make any power. He keeps running it. It'll idle up, and get hot and idle itself down so it doesn't eat it's own pistons. Guy shuts key off and starts over. Repeats the process. Tractor has 341 hours on it and the #2 piston is melted. Looks like someone ran a torch down the one side of it. No compression on #2. #1 and #3 are very weak as well, was burning oil. Block and head junk. Actually running on it's own oil at several points (code stored several times for engine overspeeding-which is usually sustained RPM above 3500). the 2 higher stages of DPF soot level contribute to extremely high EGT's, which destroys internal engine parts. This particular tractor owner is looking at roughly $15,000 to replace the engine and DPF. At one point I borrowed his tractor to clean up a lot next to my house, took me maybe 2 hours at most with a rough cut mower (bush hog). The regen light was blinking at the time I picked it up but nothing beeping. I just revved it to wide open and the light went on solid (no blink), and within 10 minutes it went off. At the time I think it had 14 hours on it.

It has a flashing red light in the dash. It has a beeper. When it starts beeping, you should stop and do a parked regen. This is not common unless an operator just ignores the flashing light in the dash (L3301/3901/4701). A parked regen consists of a flashing DPF light (upper right corner) and the "RPM" light below it (has an up arrow through the engine). They both blink. This means you need to increase the engine speed. In other words on the L3301/3901/4701, wide open. Looking for around 2400 RPM +. If you hear the beeper, put all transmission shifters (and HST pedal if equipped) in neutral, set the park brake and mash the RIGHT HAND button. On the dash there are two buttons on the left side fo the steering wheel. Left one is DPF regen inhibit. Leave that one alone. The right one is auto engine speed. Mash that one in and the engine will rev up on it's own a few seconds after you push it in, and it will regen automatically, then the engine will return to idle speed once it's done.

Actually the DPF inhibit (left) button really has no purpose other than to confuse people! Just leave it alone unless you're in a hay barn working, with dry hay laying around, because the exhaust outlet temp can get up to around 1100 degrees...which obviously will make fire with dry vegetation. That is the button's ONLY purpose.

Also a regen can't be done on a cold engine-it has to be at operating temperature. So if you hop on the tractor for the first time in the morning, and it wants to regen, just let it warm up a little then go wide open. It'll do the rest while you're working (unless of course its a stage 2 or 3). And similarly, if you're an operator who hops on the tractor, runs it for 30 seconds, then turns the engine off...and does this frequently, the engine will not reach operating temperature and it will want to regen more frequently. If you're not going to be off of it for more than, say, 5 minutes, leave it running. Frequent starting and stopping of the engine will wear it out quicker and will also plug up the DPF quicker, resulting in frequent regeneration.

Stage 4 regen can't be done by an operator-must be done at dealer using diag master. Usually a stage 5 means it's junk-time to replace the DPF or at the very least have it cleaned. Stage 4 and 5 is obvious.....the engine will barely run, no power, beeping, codes showing on the hour meter, etc. The tractor lets you know, and in the case of my buddy, warranty ain't gonna help him because he just ignored all the lights and beeper, and admitted to it. I figure he'll fix it (insurance probably) and then sell it.
Nice Story Lug :eek: engineers design these things to work, they might not have it 100% right but if you fight the process layed in place, YOU are asking for nothing but trouble. Next this guy will be on the BBB website saying Kubota sold him junk!

Reactions: 1 user

hiho silver

Equipment
Orange Tractor L3901
Nov 28, 2016
Midwest US

I know someone who doesn't know a thing about this new regen stuff, and apparently doesn't care either. Those lights in the dash mean nothing. The beeper means nothing. He ignored both.
Thanks for the great write up. If I were a dealer I would print off your comments and hand them to every Tier 4 tractor customer.