L3300 oil change

moday

Apr 2, 2011
Michigan
Did an overdue oil change on my L3300 last week. The Service Manual says 3.7 quarts. It says to check the dipstick and add more as needed with a filter change. I put in 4 qts and still low on the dipstick. I had about 8 ounces extra and now over halfway between the low/high marks on the dipstick but still looks low.

I wonder if dipstick is wrong or is book incorrect.

Anyone run into this? I'm the second owner so maybe a dipstick got swapped out along the way.

Thoughts??? Thanks in advance, moday

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
Post a picture of the dipstick with a measurement. Maybe someone can compare. My research says 3.7 quarts.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Run it a bit to help burp the system and then shut it down and let it cool awhile. Check dip stick again.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Did an overdue oil change on my L3300 last week. The Service Manual says 3.7 quarts. It says to check the dipstick and add more as needed with a filter change. I put in 4 qts and still low on the dipstick. I had about 8 ounces extra and now over halfway between the low/high marks on the dipstick but still looks low.

I wonder if dipstick is wrong or is book incorrect.

Anyone run into this? I'm the second owner so maybe a dipstick got swapped out along the way.

Thoughts??? Thanks in advance, moday
Go by the dipstick not the Manual. I have never saw the manual correct on capacity's for Kubotas yet.

PhilHewitt

Equipment
L3300
Apr 4, 2020
Placerville, CA
I know this thread is 6 years old, but there is no definitive answer. I'm in the same situation - just put in 4 1/2 quarts and the level is only a little over halfway between the two marks on the dipstick. But the dipstick in the tractor does not look like the one in the owner's manual - so I'was thinking it might not be the right one. The owner's manual shows a flattened 'spade' shape at the end of the dipstick, and the two marks are pretty close together. My dipstick is a straight blade with the two marks quite a long way apart - at least 2 inches. I checked the part number stamped on it (16457-36411) and that is a genuine Kubota part - but I don't know what tractor models it is for. And it looks like if I filled it to the upper mark I would be over 5 quarts.
Does anyone know what the answer is?
Note - I also checked the Shop Service Manual and it is the same as the Owner's Manual. Both the L2900 and the L3300 are shown as engine crankcase capacity 3.7 US quarts, and the L3600 and L4200 are shown with a capacity of 6.3 US quarts.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can go to messick’s or Kubota USA parts list and search for the part number and they will give you the model numbers that part fits.

OR

look up your tractor model number and see what part number they show you for the dipstick

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
I went through this same thing couple yrs ago when
my L3300 came home.
Sounds like the same dipstick and it is 2 inches between the lines but
its in the crankcase at a shallow angle .
I put 4 qts in and that put it in the middle of the lines.
Added another 1/2-3/4 qt. and that brought it up to about the 3/4 range
between the lines and thats where I'm running it.
Wonder what a dealer or Kubota mechanic would have to say the oil capacity vs. what the manual says.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I went through this same thing couple yrs ago when
my L3300 came home.
Sounds like the same dipstick and it is 2 inches between the lines but
its in the crankcase at a shallow angle .
I put 4 qts in and that put it in the middle of the lines.
Added another 1/2-3/4 qt. and that brought it up to about the 3/4 range
between the lines and thats where I'm running it.
Wonder what a dealer or Kubota mechanic would have to say the oil capacity vs. what the manual says.
There are a few of us on here that have worked on quite a few Kubota's over the years, Never go by the book!
Unless the dipstick is damaged or swapped into the wrong unit, its right and the book will be wrong!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilHewitt

Equipment
L3300
Apr 4, 2020
Placerville, CA
Thanks for these quick replies. An update... I did a search on Messicks. They don't have quite the exact same part number, but they do have one that's almost the same except the last two digits are 10 instead of 11. And that does list my L3300DT-GST as one of the models. (Although Kubota USA site doesn't recognize either of those two part numbers.) A general search on that part number finds one on eBay that uses both the 10 and the 11 versions of the part number, so it looks like they are the same thing. I'm going to try to call my local Kubota dealer to see if they have an 'official' answer, and if so I'll post it here. Otherwise, I feel more comfortable with the information I've received here, that the dipstick is correct for the model, and I will go by the dipstick reading and not the manual.

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
There are a few of us on here that have worked on quite a few Kubota's over the years, Never go by the book!
Unless the dipstick is damaged or swapped into the wrong unit, its right and the book will be wrong!
Thanks for that.
I just stumbled upon this which I have been unable to find in the past.
It has other D series engine specs as well.

Its the technical/maintenance data for the D1703 Kubota engine thats in the L3300.
Says engine oil capacity is 5.6 L which is 5.9 qts. So, seems about right given
where my < 5gts. oil is on the stick .
But, don't take my word for it, anyone should do their own research on such issues .

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for these quick replies. An update... I did a search on Messicks. They don't have quite the exact same part number, but they do have one that's almost the same except the last two digits are 10 instead of 11. And that does list my L3300DT-GST as one of the models. (Although Kubota USA site doesn't recognize either of those two part numbers.) A general search on that part number finds one on eBay that uses both the 10 and the 11 versions of the part number, so it looks like they are the same thing. I'm going to try to call my local Kubota dealer to see if they have an 'official' answer, and if so I'll post it here. Otherwise, I feel more comfortable with the information I've received here, that the dipstick is correct for the model, and I will go by the dipstick reading and not the manual.
The part numbers stamped or cast on Kubota parts are almost always never the "actual" part number, I have never found out a reason for this.

PhilHewitt

Equipment
L3300
Apr 4, 2020
Placerville, CA
To follow up. I did talk to my local dealer. He didn't have any different information - the engine crankcase capacity listed in the owner's manual is the same as his information - 3.7 quarts. But he said that the actual amount of oil needed would be more than this because of the amount needed to fill the oil filter, and also as it gets circulated it does not all reside in the crankcase - which makes sense. In other words, the capacity listed in the manual is specific to the crankcase capacity, not the actual amount of oil to be added. (It would be more helpful if they listed the actual amount needed. I don't know if this common practice with all engine specs, but unless you know the 'secret', it's confusing.) So, as has been stated in this thread, the dipstick is the real measure. But he also said to be careful to not overfill because if you add up to the top mark when the engine has just been running, the oil will not have fully drained back, so the reading will show lower than it actually is.