L2950 DT GST: TSC Premium Universal or 303

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I have the Kubota L2950 DT GST with Loader and I have a Ford 555 Backhoe with shuttle shift. I am now filling low reservoirs on the backhoe with 303 hydro fluid. I know that Kubota calls for the Kubota UDT, however we all know that the Kubota fluid or expensive, especially when there are other alternatives just like engine oil...

That said, I have been researching the difference in 303 and Premium Universal Fluids. Both are for use in all reservoirs where the manufacturer calls for hydro fluid, including transmissions and both are compatible with wet brakes. One difference that I saw was that 303 is a 20wt viscosity oil and premium universal is a 10W-20 multi-viscosity oil.

Given that I am in south Georgia, could I use the 303 in my 22 year old Kubota without issue or do I need to stick with the Premium Universal Fluid for the Kubota? If I need to stick with the Premium UTF, can someone explain why?

There is a $8.00 a 5gal pail difference between the two. The $8 is not an issue if I need the Premium UTF, but I do not like spending extra dollars that are unnecessary.

Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Neither one. Super UDT2. Kubota suggests Super UDT2 in ALL GST transmissions. My experience is that it's considerably smoother in clutch pack engagement than 303 or anything else for that matter.

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with lugbolt, SUDT2 or better. Don't cut your own throat by going cheap on the fluid. It's not like you have to change it every day, go with the good stuff.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
Neither one. Super UDT2. Kubota suggests Super UDT2 in ALL GST transmissions. My experience is that it's considerably smoother in clutch pack engagement than 303 or anything else for that matter.
I don't mean to start a war here, however I am not so sure I agree with this. The manual states the following for Transmission case lube: "Multi-grade transmission fluid. The Transmission fluids listed on page 57 or equivalent are recommended.

We recommend the use of Kubota UDT. Also the following are recommended oils, by brand name that may be used in the transmission hydraulic system.
Atlantic Richfield (ARCO) - Arco Tractor Fluid
Chevron - Tractor Hydraulic Fluid
Exxon - Torque Fluid 56
Penzoil - Hydra-Trans and Wet Brake Fluid
Phillips - H.T.Fluid
Shell - Donax TD, TT, TM
Texaco - T.D.H. Oil
Union - HYdraulic / Tractor Fluid
Mobil - Mobil Fluid 423

This manual does not even mention SUDT. My bet is that this tractor was produced before the formulation of SUDT.

I do understand that UDT is a multi viscosity oil, better suited for cold climates so that the transmission can shift and operate better at colder temperatures.

I am in South Georgia. My question was would the 303 work, considering I do not need the cold properties of a multi viscosity oil because I can count on one had how may days we have that are below 32*F during daylight hours through the winter. Is there any reason that 303 would cause damage? Is it likely to foam or for some other reason case a lack of lubrication issue.

The Supertrac 303 states that it is formulated for Wet Brakes, which I do understand is a must requirement.

Certainly, the lubes available today are much better than those that were available in 22 years ago, even on the cheaper oils.

If it is determined that 303 will not work at all, then that is fine the next alternative is the TSC Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid. It clearly states that it meets or exceeds the UDT specification.

Thanks all....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Never used the 303 but I would guess it's about the same as the TSC fluid which I have used. It's not so much that they won't work, it's more to the fact they don't work well. Your hyd system performance will suffer. That's not a guess, it's a fact. On top of that you are dealing with a GST tranny, not a gear. You have wet clutches which depend completely on proper lubrication and heat dissipation. Loose either one and the life of the clutch pack is shortened.

I understand wanting the best deal and saving money. But consider this, is it cheaper to buy a better grade oil or rebuild, repair or replace the tractor. Either of those oils will cut your clutch life in half. Not only that but you will suffer from poor hyd performance as well.

Please keep this in mind, I'm not trying to bash you by any means. I'm not trying to push anything on you, just sharing from my own personal experience.

Reactions: 1 user

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
This is why I am asking 50 million questions, I want to understand differences. I get that 303 is not correct for the Kubota. However if the travelers premium fluid at Tractor Supply meets the UDT specifications, why it be different to use it than UDT. Kubota does not make UDT itself, so the blender will know it's spec and know if another fluid will meet it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Older GST's do not gain any functional advantage using SUDT-2 over UDT.
will it last longer??? Who knows!

I have not seen the specs of the TSC hydraulic fluid but if it says it's UDT compatible on the label then it probably is.

I have used Mystik JT-5 for many years now and get just as good of performance if not better than Kubota UDT, and a heck of a lot cheaper.
I get a great range of flow from 100F to -40F
Other fluids get pretty stiff at -40F and don't flow very well.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I thought this stuff said Kubota UDT, but can't find a proper spec sheet quickly
www.walmart.com/ip/16213442
Changed link, I copied the wrong one to this page as I had 2 pages open.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
So I mucked up the link, and what I meant to put up was the same as yours, but on the page it doesn't state UDT, only Kubota, but you say it does on the pail? Would be nice to find the spec sheet so everyone can see the specs.