L2900 Sticking Clutch Pedal

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1995 Kubota L2900, 5 ft rotary mower, roll-over, conditioning blade, drag blade.
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
I need to know if there is a way to grease the clutch linkage or throw-out bearing on an L2900. I thought it should be in the operators manual but I can't find it. Probably need a service manual instead. Very happy with my "new" 20 year old Kubota but the sticky clutch is a problem.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
looking at the parts manual (on the Kubota website) there is not any grease points on either of those parts.

You may want to try some penetrating oil (PB blaster, Kroil...) but there are oil seals on the shafts (outside of roller bearings) that may make it impossible to get past.

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1995 Kubota L2900, 5 ft rotary mower, roll-over, conditioning blade, drag blade.
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
looking at the parts manual (on the Kubota website) there is not any grease points on either of those parts.

You may want to try some penetrating oil (PB blaster, Kroil...) but there are oil seals on the shafts (outside of roller bearings) that may make it impossible to get past.
Thank you Russell. I wish simple things could just be simple sometimes.

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
I appreciate Russell trying to help me here but I am very disappointed that no one else has responded. I realize this is not a major issue but I would really like some feedback.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What more would you like us to say? :confused:
Sounds like if you've greased the accessible pivot points and that's not helping then your looking at splitting the tractor and replacing some parts, Not really an in depth issue. ;)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You have diagnosed that it is the clutch pedal (or linkage?) or somehow the throw-out bearing.

The parts manual shows no grease Zerks according to Russell King. So that issue is out.

There are details that are left unknown:
>Does the clutch pedal stick in the down (disengaged) position?
>Does it stick every time?
>Is there roughness, or unevenness when depressed?
>How does it return to up (engaged)? By hand?
>Does the clutch remain disengaged regardless of where the pedal is positioned?
>Does it remain engaged regardless of the position?
>What other symptoms can you describe?

Responders need to know the answers to those questions before an intelligent diagnosis can be made.

Here is a stab in the dark: Remove the clutch pedal and linkage. Disassemble it on the workbench, clean up the linkage (use a shotgun cleaning rod and bronze brush on the tubes with Ed's Red as a solvent, wire wheel the rods, test for easy and smooth movement, lube all with grease, reassemble.

Then adjust the clutch pedal travel and test to make sure the spring is working as designed.

That should get things started.

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
Thank you Wolfman and GWD. This is all I was asking for and I didn't mean to whine.
The pedal has stuck in the down position. Not every time. I can bump it with my foot and it will release.
It is rough pushing and releasing. Very hard to get a smooth start.
May just be something I have to learn to live with.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
This may seem like an inconvenience, but chances are its going to get worse and more expensive to repair. There isnt some sort of inspection cover you can remove?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thank you Wolfman and GWD. This is all I was asking for and I didn't mean to whine.
The pedal has stuck in the down position. Not every time. I can bump it with my foot and it will release.
It is rough pushing and releasing. Very hard to get a smooth start.
May just be something I have to learn to live with.
That is good information. Now it definitely sounds like a linkage problem. You should be able to get under the tractor and unbolt the pedal and the tube that the pedal uses as a fulcrum. I don't have access to a WSM but Messicks Tractor can send you a diagram of the pedal.

Aw, heck, I did it for you. Here is the diagram. It looks to be quite straight forward. The return spring may be weak or corroded as well. Once you have it apart, then things will become clear.

While under the tractor you might want to try to operate the shaft that goes into the clutch housing. It is shown on the bottom left at the end of the cable. It could be hanging up in the clutch housing as it operates the throw out bearing.

Attachments

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'll try to upload the full "Clutch" PDF file from Messick's.

Nope, can't do it...just a bit too large.

If you PM me your email I'll send it or you can just go the Messick's website and have them send it to you by email (takes about a minute). Fill out the information box on the left of their page.

http://www.messicks.com/KubotaTractorParts.aspx

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The clutch bearing is mounted on a sleeve that slides on a shaft that is bolted to the front of the trans. That sleeve and shaft gets dirty and rusty makeing it very hard to press the clutch pedal. Most tractors have an "inspection" hole in the bellhouseing that alighns with that bearing/sleeve and it has a grease fitting on it. Just don't overdo the grease, all the excess is subject to getting on the clutch.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
The clutch bearing is mounted on a sleeve that slides on a shaft that is bolted to the front of the trans. That sleeve and shaft gets dirty and rusty makeing it very hard to press the clutch pedal. Most tractors have an "inspection" hole in the bellhouseing that alighns with that bearing/sleeve and it has a grease fitting on it. Just don't overdo the grease, all the excess is subject to getting on the clutch.
I don't think the OP's tractor has the inspection hole, grease fitting, or bearings. Here is a copy of the bellhousing from the parts catalog.

Attachments

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
Thanks to all. I did go to Messicks site and they sent me the breakdowns. Now I have some work to do and I'll let you know.

joedw1956

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 21, 2014
Eatonton
I did see a post or video that mentioned the inspection hole and grease fitting. That's why I was hoping it would be easy. I'm afraid that GWD is right though. Mine doesn't have it. Thanks again.

prikev

Equipment
Kubota L3300 4x4
Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
I am having the same sticky peddle with my L3300. Everything works fine but if I use the clutch I have the pull the peddle out manually with my foot every time. I checked the linkage and didn't see any issue. I'm tempted to order a new spring to see if that helps. Did you ever figure out what was causing the issue on yours? I

motmow

Equipment
L2350DT, JD 1070, L245
Jun 13, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
You're not going to like this, but a common problem with those tractors is the rod that goes across the bell housing gets bound up on the ends where it penetrates the housing. To remove it, you have to split the tractor and remove the clutch fork. Take a big punch and a big hammer and drive the rod out. Put a wire brush in your drill and clean the holes on each side, and the shaft. Grease it up good. I have fixed a few of these.

Attachments

prikev

Equipment
Kubota L3300 4x4
Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
Any idea what most places charge to fix this issue? Its a real pain, my tractor is a great tractor but this little issue makes it difficult to operate.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Prikev, see the grease on the fork in the above picture posted by Motmow? You might try squirting some PB Blaster on the ends of that shaft on both sides and give it a couple of shots for a couple of days. Pump the clutch as you spray (going to need a helper for this). Might reduce the friction some, and make it livable.

Best way to figure cost for a shop to separate the tractor (and they'd probably replace the shaft) is to call a shop and ask. Takes all the guessing out.

If you know anyone who does this kind of work, you might ask them also. Separating a tractor is not really a complicated task, just takes some patience, time and room. But if that shaft actually needs to be straightened, or replaced you could be reassembling 10 minutes after it's apart.

I personally don't think that rod getting bent is a very likely scenario. Just spray something on each end and move the rod to get the juice all the way around it!!

Post back your results.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Have run into this, well not often, but as a tech, you remember those type jobs due to their expense, downtime, and customer gripes.

Pull the left hood side off. Remove the pin from the clutch linkage. There's a bar that runs down to the bellhousing/clutch release area, then it's connected to the link that runs back up to the steering console. With the pin out of the linkages, move the pedal-if it's still stiff, then your issue is in the pedestal mounted clutch pedal pivot shaft. If the pedal is free, the issue lies in the bellhousing of the tractor, which means time to split it, pull the release (throwout) bearing, and it's fork, off of the shaft, then remove and clean the corrosion from both the shaft and the holes that it rides in.

My Massey 1145 is having same issues, mine is in BOTH the linkages AND the clutch release. Yay. Another project.

The release bearing shaft is about 3/4" diameter. It wouldn't take much to drill the ends of it and then drill a tiny intersecting hole so that grease can get to the pivot points. BUT, I don't remember if doing so would even be accessible from under the tractor? If it's not accessible, it would be wasted effort.