L2850 V1702 di > V2203 di conversion

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
If Kubota can not come up with one, You should be able to have one cut from new stock if you have the specs on what you need, that saying if the one you was going to have reground didn't turn out.
That is still my backup plan. I have a few cam grind shops lined up to call and I have my original cam to send along with larger diameter donor cam to have ground down to the original cams dimensions.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
i'm wondering how much lift difference on the cams? Maybe shim the fuel pump to equal the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
i'm wondering how much lift difference on the cams? Maybe shim the fuel pump to equal the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a completely different duration profile too, it is easily visible, this will affect how fast the injector fires and the timing as well. Since it is a direct injection the profile is more aggressive or faster lift than the IDI profile which has a more gradual lift.
Talked with the dealer yesterday in person and they did an online dealer inventory locate and didn't see anything but they have an "orange line" to see if any dealer has one on the shelf that isn't shown on the dealer inventory line but that can take a while for dealers to respond. They are going to throw it out to the Canadian dealers as well they said they have one other project in shop they are having the same issue with finding a part for and are doing the same search for themselves. So I wait for a bit more, if no word by next week I am contacting custom cam shops to have your IDI cam shaft ground to the profile I need.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Update time. After several weeks and different dealers across the country I was only able to find one camshaft in existence and kubota not making this item anymore from what it sounds. The one is a complete camshaft assembly for 550 bucks but it is in japan and it could take a couple months to get regular order or lots of freight to get it sooner.

I called a couple cams shops who said they could tackle the issue and i just sent in my cams to Delta Cams of tacoma WA to reprofile the one i need. Said it wouldn't be much over a hundred bucks to do so in the mail they went today hopefully I wil have it back in a couple weeks and be done with this waiting for nothing game.

http://www.deltacam.com/

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Got the re-profiled cam back from the cam shop and measured things up and it looks good. total bill was 230 bucks. Funny thing was my local dealer called yesterday and said they just received a new complete assembly, felt bad I didn't tell them to cancel the order but the last word from them was they couldn't find one and never called me back to tell me they did lol. Their problem now.

So let the good times roll. hopefully make some progress over the next couple weeks. Plan of getting the engine assembled and doing a test fire before bolting it onto the tractor and then go from there.:cool:

Unwired

Equipment
L2850
Feb 14, 2015
Stanton, TX
I've been running a 2203 in my L2850 for about a year and a half. (Locked up this week, topic for another thread).

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

One area of caution, I replaced the entire dual stage clutch. With the bolts in the pressure plate fingers as far out as I felt comfortable running them, I didn't have enough pedal travel to disengage. I didn't have time to split it again to see what was going on, so I ended up notching the foot rest brace to get the clutch to disengage. I still don't have enough travel to disengage the PTO. Hopefully you can avoid this problem.

Rob

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
IT'S ALIVE ...........ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Here is a link to it on my facebook page, its the only place i loaded it to.

Got it test fired up on the floor before bolting it to the rear section of the tractor this morning. Now I can pklug away at the rest of the tractor assembly knowing the engine runs. Thing fired right up without glowplugs and or needing to crack any injection line, surprised the heck out of me how easily it started.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....599379&notif_t=like&notif_id=1495391474063396

Here is a FB link to a video of it firing up for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/100014605599379/videos/231634740666711/

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wild and Free, what oil filter are you using? Did you have to get an adapter made? If so, where is you find it?

Mine had a Baldwin BT217 ( 7" long) in the horizontal position facing back from the front of the engine. Wix has a 51806 (5" long). I need a way to come up a clearance for a hydraulic hose.

The first picture is the V2203 setting in the skid steer. Other two pictures are as it was on the Carrier AC unit.

Attachments

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Oil filter is an OEM Kubota filter for the original engine. I swapped the v1702 front cover over to the v2203 for this reason. Couldn't have made it work in my tractor application otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Bill, it has risen from the ashes!
Actually it has appeared out of the snow banks from this awful winter lol.:cool:

My B2150 got more hours on it moving and blowing snow this winter alone than it has seen in the last 3-4 years overall total use.:eek:

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Spent the last couple days getting things put back together and got it running today and took it for a drive to get a feel for things and warm it up and check for leaks. Got about an hour of run time and all works great, small weep on the t-stat gasket but not bad. Set the low idle speed to about 900 ish rpms fast idle is about 2400+- with no adjustment made yet. New clutch works perfectly. Have to spend some time routing and tieing up wiring and hoses since I added an electric fuel pump and the intake was a bit different so the coolant expansion tank had to be moved a bit to get the side panel on. Still a day or two worth of other piddly things to do yet, get the loader mounts and loader on and service the front axle, looks like it has wheel seals leaking but not sure yet.
Just happy it moves runs and starts super, sounds awesome. Need the shutdown relay timer too, won't shut down with the key. She is looking like a good deal afterall.:D

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Thing absolutely surprises me at how easy it starts. No glow plug at all and it fires instantly as soon as the key is turned, no smoke rough idle or anything, thing is strong as can be. I can let the clutch out at low idle in high gear and it doesn't even lug down, pretty sure i could do wheelies its so snappy.:cool:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Direct Injection engines will spoil you!

I have a DI in an L3250 that has a spun rod bearing. I was trying to determine what the problem was because I bought it "as is where is" knowing it sounding like trouble. I had to turn the fuel off to check the valve adjustment, because it would start on about the second revolution!!

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
Glad to hear that you're happy with the way the engine runs! Glad that you found a way around the fuel cam issue. I know the extra time down really adds to the anticipation and excitement when it's finally done. I can't wait for more updates, especially when you start using it to push diet and such.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
:DFinally got another couple days into the tractor this weekend and have it pretty much done. Nit picked a few more things got the pto clutch adjustment done adjusted brakes lubed up everything got the loader on it and all hooked up and tested it all out and all seems to work awesome.
Only thing I need to do is install the front driveline but I seem to have misplaced the splined coupler somewhere. Need to do a clean up through out the shop to see if I can find it.:rolleyes: