L2850 V1702 di > V2203 di conversion

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
Wild and Free,

I have three complete (core) engines that I will not be selling as good engines. I can and will check for the camshaft you need. If I have one, I'll swap with you for a really good price. If I understand correctly, you need a slotted front and splined rear, correct? I'm pretty sure none have the slotted front, but you've fixed that once already. :)

I know I have one DI and 2 IDI. Not sure about any differences between the two cams.

Long day for me today, I hope all this made sense...

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Wild and Free,

I have three complete (core) engines that I will not be selling as good engines. I can and will check for the camshaft you need. If I have one, I'll swap with you for a really good price. If I understand correctly, you need a slotted front and splined rear, correct? I'm pretty sure none have the slotted front, but you've fixed that once already. :)

I know I have one DI and 2 IDI. Not sure about any differences between the two cams.

Long day for me today, I hope all this made sense...
Thanks for looking, i am also going to contact west kentucky tractor tomorrow and see what they have on hand.
Yes need one for a DI and splined rear for hyd pump drive gear and I will need the front gear with it as well as it is a keyed gear and shaft set up to be held on with snap ring, the one I have now has pressed on gears at both ends. From looking at the one I need in parts manual the part number shows a slotted shaft on the front for tach drive if its the correct one. if you have one i would just swap it as a complete assembly if it works.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
a little more info, not sure if this helps any.... the v1903 I took out had snap ring front and rear to hold gears on, the v2203 I put in had snap ring on rear only, and the front gear pressed on. that was the only difference I noticed. As thrift as the Japanese are, I'd almost bet you a good bowl of pho the shafts are the same. but before I put it together, like you I'd want to know for sure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fuel cam shafts are all different, they have different lift to make different amounts of fuel delivery.
I don't know if there is any difference in IDI over DI, I would have to see a each in person.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Not sure how kubota part #'s work but here is the list first set of numbers are different but second set are the same.
The one from e-bay wolfman posted is the same # as what yours is but again its IDI and not DI.
Been google, amazon and e-bay searching these part #'s for the l4350 with zero luck. can find your numbers but not the one I need for sure.

L3600 IDI engine
Cam 19077-16170
complete assm. 19077-16020
front gear 16415-51150

l4350 DI engine
cam 17115-16170
assm 17115-16020
gear 17121-51150
The fuel cam shafts are all different, they have different lift to make different amounts of fuel delivery.
I don't know if there is any difference in IDI over DI, I would have to see a each in person.
Wondering if you know how Kubota part numbering system works? If it is like some the first set of numbers are the actual part number and the second number is just the code they use for that specific part no matter what engine it is in from what I am seeing.
The first set of numbers are different but the second set after the dash are the same for the same part but different engines and tractors.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Clutch housing dropped off @ machine shop, they are busy so won't be done until next week probably.

Called west Kentucky parts early this morning for an L4350 fuel cam assembly they were going to check and call back but never got a return call so will call again in morning and waiting on cviola to see if he has one too. So now back to waiting...........
Called them back @ 4:45 pm and got message they are open 7:30 am until 5pm central time, I guess 4:45 was close enough for them on a Monday lol:rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wondering if you know how Kubota part numbering system works? If it is like some the first set of numbers are the actual part number and the second number is just the code they use for that specific part no matter what engine it is in from what I am seeing.
The first set of numbers are different but the second set after the dash are the same for the same part but different engines and tractors.
No sadly I have not been able to work out how all of their numbers work, I find it odd that newer parts and revised parts normally have smaller numbers than the older part that they are replacing????

If you pull your V1702 cam you could compare lift between it and the V2203 and I could check mine off of the V1702, no way I wanna pull out the V2203 cam as I need it for snow duty! :eek::D

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Gotta find one first, not sure I want to shell out 550 bucks on a new one until all other options are exhausted, it's drug out this long a bit more won't hurt anymore. :(

Google searching the living #$@! out of it for hours has only netted me 3 other places to call other than West Kentucky parts for possible used parts. Will do more calling in the morning.
Might hit up my local Bobcat dealer to see if they have any used junk engines laying around for parts on my day off later this week.

Last edited:

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
toro reel master mowers have the correct fuel cam, I used a reel master 550 engine. maybe another option is a toro dealer. also try brokentractor.com out of Baton Rouge Louisiana, they have used parts for about everything. I recently used easterntriangle llc out of Florida on two used parts and was super pleased.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
toro reel master mowers have the correct fuel cam, I used a reel master 550 engine. maybe another option is a toro dealer. also try brokentractor.com out of Baton Rouge Louisiana, they have used parts for about everything. I recently used easterntriangle llc out of Florida on two used parts and was super pleased.
Thanks found broken tractor will add them to the contact list, all I can find on eastern is an e-bay store is that correct?

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Calls went out to five places this morning, left message at one, one had nothing to offer and 3 places are checking to see what / if they have anything so now the wait continues lol.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you might have misunderstood me, measure the fuel cam height that is in your V1702 DI and compare that to the cam that is in your V2203 and I can measure my lift on my V1702 IDI.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I think you might have misunderstood me, measure the fuel cam height that is in your V1702 DI and compare that to the cam that is in your V2203 and I can measure my lift on my V1702 IDI.
Might get time later this week to pull it out of that engine to help us determine any difference between DI and IDI cams.

I was referring to this guy who tried to swap the cam from his 1702DI into a v2203 and found it to not have enough lift in this post here.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18304

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
From doing extensive searching and calling and researching the L4350 must be one of the most rare kubota tractors on earth or one of the best ever and most are still running flawlessly from the lack of info parts or anything else i can find on them.
Wishing i would have bit the bullet and just bought an idi engine that could be had everywhere the dang thing would have been running by now and the way its looking by the time i get done with this used engine conversion i could have bought a new re-man with warranty for the same price.:(

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
OK so striking out here on finding a used fuel cam. 3 of 6 say no go, will call two places i have not heard back from yet this afternoon. One place has a complete engine from an L4350 but it runs good and will only sell complete.

Going to pull the cam from the old 1702 DI and do some measuring just for curiosity sake to compare the difference if any between the DI and IDI cams as wolfman has one from an idi.

Then I am going to get the cam out of the 2203 DI and do the same and call the outfit on e-bay to do some measuring if they will do it to the fuel cam they have out of a 2203 IDI.

$550 for a new one is going to cause me a lot of heartburn if I need to go that way. I am getting very antsy to get this thing done in the next couple months before summer hits.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm really hoping one of our cams will work for you.

One other measurement if you can? From the base of the injection pump to the roller / pump lift section.

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Here are the dimensions of the fuel cam shaft from the 1702 di engine measured with a digital calipers in millimeters for wolfman to compare to his 1702 idi fuel cam. Depending on how hard I was squeezing the calipers one can use +-.03 mm in the pics.
Will take some time to get the one out of the 2203 engine but hope to have it done by end of weekend to make some comparison calls next week. need to regroup as i have parts scattered everywhere and need to clean and organize a bit before tearing into the donor engine.......AGAIN :p.

This pic is of the highest point of the lobe. 35.45 mm

This pic is of the lowest point of the cam lobe with calipers on flattest point of one side. 30.43 mm

This pic is of the dimension of the cam follower body to bottom of the injection pump base. 75.89 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well it appears that the V1702 DI and The V1702 IDI take the same cam as my dimensions were within tolerances of what yours were. :(

Wild and Free

Equipment
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Well it appears that the V1702 DI and The V1702 IDI take the same cam as my dimensions were within tolerances of what yours were. :(
:D Thats awesome that means that the one you posted from e-bay may work for me. just need to get mine apart and measured up tomorrow and call the guy and see if he can measure the one he has for sale too.

We are now all learning new things together here on this forum for all to benefit from going forward. New info for all. I like the in depth details.