L2650 with 84Q loader needs hydraulic hose replacement (I need HELP)

Dibbs

Equipment
1991 Kubota 2650
Oct 4, 2015
OMAK
I have a Kubota L2650 with a SMC 84Q front end loader. I blew a hydraulic line while plowing snow. I've partially disassembled things, but the box that the control valve sits in WAS NOT designed by someone for replacing hoses. I've detached hoses at the quick disconnect fittings, removed the control box from the tractor/loader frame and have taken off the cover plate.

I believe with my limited mechanical skills and tools, that I have hit a road block. To me, it appears that you have to somewhat disassemble the bucket control handle(single handle), to slide it out of the box to be able to get a wrench on the hydraulic hoses.
If there is a simpler way to get a wrench on these hydraulic hoses, please explain what I need to do. I've got a bunch more snow to move to be able to get in and out of my driveway, and my back would prefer NOT to have to use a shovel. Hopefully I wont have to call a mechanic and spend a $200 bill!

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Your are correct. Take the cover off the side. Remove the two 1/4" bolts that hold the valve in the box. Remove the rubber boot from the Handel remove the female quick couplers and then remove the valve from the box.the best thing to do is have a shop that makes hydraulic hoses make new ones for you.be sure that the new ones are the same length . A little long or a little short you will have problems getting it back together.when you have the valve out you may want to check all the prints on all the fittings.
Good luck Lance

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What 007 said: Find a hose shop.

And while you are all "exploded," do every hose going into or out of that box, plus any other questionable hoses you might have.

Be sure to take the hoses down to the hose shop so they can match them exactly. Take pictures before they come off and tag each one with the location.

Hose shops are very affordable compared to the "hose job" that results from a Kubota OEM hose replacement order. By half or more.

Good luck.

Dibbs

Equipment
1991 Kubota 2650
Oct 4, 2015
OMAK

This needs to slide forward, but there is not room for the bolt to go through the houseing without taking the control handle off, and possibley removing the silver bracket as well

Hose underneath in top of photo needs to be replaced, but design of valve precludes getting wrench on fitting

these next two photos show the hose that needs to be removed. There is a "little" bit of room to work, but the valve body design has a bump in front below the hose that complicates things.

So, where do I go from here? Is total disassembly/control handle removal required? Is there a wrench that will allow me to remove the hose as pictured in the last two photos?I hope I'm missing something obvious, but I cant figure out a simple way to get a wrench on the broken hose, or how to get the control valve forward. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes your going to have to take off the handle and control to remove the valve from the housing.

I can't find a schematic or parts break down on SMC loaders to give you any better advice.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You might be able to get the hose in question off, by popping that (what I assume is a) relief valve cover off next to the hose, for wrench access. Just be ready for some spring pressure and a spring and a ball to possibly roll out. Another option, to get you through to a warm spell would be to buy a re-usable hydraulic fitting, and leave the hose on, with a temporary fitting, and hose, installed where the hose burst. Cut the hose, at this point, with a angle grinder, with a cut-off wheel, install new fitting, then a new short length of hose from the break, to the cyl.:D:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dibbs, here's some info. that may help. Might give them a call for some direction.

S.M.C. Alamo Group Box Q Sioux Falls,S.D.57101 Tel # 605-336-3628 is the present company that bought out the line of companies that bought out the original Swartz Loader Mfg. Co.

Dibbs

Equipment
1991 Kubota 2650
Oct 4, 2015
OMAK
Thank you all for your suggestions/advice/tips. Hose is replaced, nothing leaked after an hour or two of operation, I need to drain a little hydraulic fluid from overfilling, but access in and out of the driveway is MUCH better!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thank you all for your suggestions/advice/tips. Hose is replaced, nothing leaked ...
So how'd you end up getting that hose off? Complete disassembly or ??

Oh and BTW... the enlarged text and bold is a little overkill on the eyes.

Dibbs

Equipment
1991 Kubota 2650
Oct 4, 2015
OMAK
So how'd you end up getting that hose off? Complete disassembly or ??
I removed the control handle , and also remove one of the 3 ball joint/swivels that attach to the actuator rods. I took the nut off the L bracket, which allowed the remainder of the assembly to slide forwatd. I did not have to remove the quick connect hoses from the valve body. Fortunately the pictures helped to reassemble.

Martian 247

Equipment
L2650 DT; SMC 84Q Loader
Jan 31, 2017
Springfield
You ever locate an owners manual for your SMC 84Q loader? I recently purchased a '93 Kubota L2650 with SMC 84Q loader; all of the internet info for SMC Alamo has turned out to be a dead-end. Thanks.