L2650 Ever Clutch, Hyd. whine when hot.

ECL

Equipment
L2650, Ever Clutch, shuttle shift. no FEL
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
First post.
L2650 (1125 hrs.) about 400 hrs. since wet clutch and fluid change, no FEL. Just started issue. After about 30 min. once the tractor warms up the hydraulics seem to get a little weak. The power steering whines when turning and seems not to assist. Fluid level 3/4 in sight glass. The fluid is medium tan looking. The tractor spends some time stored outside. Next move is to change hyd fluid and filter I guess. What fluid should I use other than the expensive Kubota Fluid? Any other comments/ suggestions.
Thanks
ECL
After reading other threads I guess I need to stick with the Kubota fluid since I have a wet clutch.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First post.
L2650 (1125 hrs.) about 400 hrs. since wet clutch and fluid change, no FEL. Just started issue. After about 30 min. once the tractor warms up the hydraulics seem to get a little weak. The power steering whines when turning and seems not to assist. Fluid level 3/4 in sight glass. The fluid is medium tan looking. The tractor spends some time stored outside. Next move is to change hyd fluid and filter I guess. What fluid should I use other than the expensive Kubota Fluid? Any other comments/ suggestions.
Thanks
ECL
After reading other threads I guess I need to stick with the Kubota fluid since I have a wet clutch.
You can Use Mystik JT-5, I have for many a year L3450GST (same clutch pack as the EC).
It sounds to me like you have a suction issue, could be from a clogged filter or a leaking suction line, or even a pump with bad seals, or yes it could be from contaminated fluid.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
Usually a whine when using hydraulics indicated a suction leak. My L2800 developed a split in the suction hose under the brake pedals. Hard to find but replacing the hose took care of the problem.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
ECL, welcome to the forum. If you are going to use Mystic, and have some time to wait, you can order it online and have it delivered for about 33% cheaper than my local OReilly auto parts could sell it.

When I checked with OReilly they wanted $99 (plus tax of course) for a 5 gallon pail. Kubota SUD2 is $103 for 5 gal. And ironically enough, 2ea. 2 1/2 gall jugs of SUD2 is about 10% less than the 5 gal pail at the same store!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MYSTIK-663509002004-Tran-Hydraulic-Universal-Fluid-5gal-Pail/273915097612

ECL

Equipment
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
I found my Kubota Service Manual for my tractor at my other house.( In the middle of moving.) Besides UDT it lists 10 other transmission fluids. I have a Tractor Supply about 1/2 mile from my house. They stock shell Rotella HD GL-4 for $58.00. My manual Lists Shell Donax, TD, TT, TM. Since my manual is about 25 years old I need to do some research on the fluids. Or order the Mystic on line. The Hyd. filter must be a re useable screen type since it tells me to wash it out. Now that I have the Manual I can trace out the suction line. Looks like I need 7.8 Gal of fluid for the transmission.
Thanks for all the help.
ECL
Went by the dealer, UDT was $85 for 5 Gal. After talking to the shop manager I bought the UDT. Now have to wait 3 days for a new filter seal. ($1.50)

Last edited:

ECL

Equipment
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
Update: Changed UDT fluid and cleaned Hyd. filter. It had been about 400-500 since the clutch and UDT was changed and the Hyd. filter was cleaned. The fluid in the tractor was dark with no signs of water. The filter was completely stopped up. It took about 45 minutes scrubbing the filter screen with a small brush to clean it up. There was no large particles just the screen was coated with a hard to clean gray film. The oil drained out sat in two 5 gal. buckets overnight. I transferred the oil to sealed containers. The fluid in the bottom of the bucket had a grayish hue and was slightly sludge like. I added the remaining UDT to my leaking front axle housing. Every time I open the front axle fill port the housing is under a fair amount of pressure. It has always been like this, no wonder the front axle seals continually leak. The new seals are $50 each and last about a year. In the shop the Hyd. system seems to be operating properly. My only issue is the 3pt down speed knob and shaft is frozen and won't turn. Never had a need to turn the knob so I guess everything is operating normally now. I think I may start cleaning the hyd. filter screen every 100 hours.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

ECL

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Update: Changed UDT fluid and cleaned Hyd. filter. It had been about 400-500 since the clutch and UDT was changed and the Hyd. filter was cleaned. The fluid in the tractor was dark with no signs of water. The filter was completely stopped up. It took about 45 minutes scrubbing the filter screen with a small brush to clean it up. There was no large particles just the screen was coated with a hard to clean gray film. The oil drained out sat in two 5 gal. buckets overnight. I transferred the oil to sealed containers. The fluid in the bottom of the bucket had a grayish hue and was slightly sludge like. I added the remaining UDT to my leaking front axle housing. Every time I open the front axle fill port the housing is under a fair amount of pressure. It has always been like this, no wonder the front axle seals continually leak. The new seals are $50 each and last about a year. In the shop the Hyd. system seems to be operating properly. My only issue is the 3pt down speed knob and shaft is frozen and won't turn. Never had a need to turn the knob so I guess everything is operating normally now. I think I may start cleaning the hyd. filter screen every 100 hours.

ECL
There should be a vent hose that runs up to the right side of the engine to vent the front axle. Check to make sure it's not plugged, if it is that will cause your seals to leak.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

ECL
Next time you change Hydraulic oil replace (don't clean) that filter, they do get corroded / permanently clogged up over time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There should be a vent hose that runs up to the right side of the engine to vent the front axle. Check to make sure it's not plugged, if it is that will cause your seals to leak.
No vent tube on that model, they are sealed axles.

But you can get a vent kit that replaces the stock fill cap and that normally fixes the issue, unless the seals are really bad.

ECL

Equipment
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
Just got back from the dealer. The parts guy had not heard of a vent kit. He checked the fill cap IPB and did not list any updated fill caps. If someone has a vent kit # please post P/N.
Thanks
ECL

ECL

Equipment
Aug 17, 2019
Hanover, Virginia
Thanks Wolfman
Ordered one today, cost about $30. Parts guy said there were only a few in the system.

ECL