L2550 Engine Removal Tips?

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
While I'm waiting on a WSM, does anyone have any experiences or tips to share on removing the engine from an L2550? I have been slowing restoring one that was in a field for many years before I purchased it. It looked very neglected and sun-faded, but had very low hours (less than 400) and very little rust on it.

At the time, the engine was a very hard start and lots of white smoke poured out of the breather while running. I was pointed towards rings as a problem. Upon inspection, there were some broken piston lands that just crumbled when I pulled the pistons. I'm guessing this was from starter fluid being used on it.

Initially, the cylinder liners looked pretty good. They were shiny and had lost the cross-hatching, but I thought that I was going to skate by with a simple de-glazing and replacing the damaged pistons and rings.

But, no. Closer inspection revealed a gouge more than halfway through the thickness of the middle cylinder liner. It runs up and down the liner, and I am assuming it was from a piece of one of the broken lands moving up and down with the piston. I will need to replace the liners and, after some researching, it appears the liners arrive semi-finished. I just do not have the equipment or expertise (or, the desire) to remove and re-hone these, so I plan to take the engine to a machine shop.

This is a very long way of asking - does anyone have any tips for removing this engine? This is a project that I'm doing for fun and to learn about these tractors. There's certainly no rush, but, at the end of this, I'd like to have a really solid working L2550. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
My tip at this point is to wait for the workshop manual. When you get the engine out, you will have to take it to a machine shop to have the liners replaced and bored. If you have good mechanical ability, it is doable but not the machining part. The machine work can add up relative to what you find during the tear down but is usually affordable.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Thank you for advice. I'm definitely waiting for the WSM. I just didn't know if anyone had any hard-earned experience to share once I start.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take lots of pictures on tear down, if something doesn't come out easy it's not being taken out right, nothing is press fitted in, besides the liners.

Be very mindful of the orientations of all the parts, the rings, and pistons only go in one way, any other way and you'll have issues.

Timing marks are easy to set but must be set right the firat time, and then any turns of the engine the marks will change, but not to worry it's still timed right.

Get new injectors as old injectors with any amount of fuel in them for any long length of time will be crudded up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
ViciousKing, do you actually own a tractor, or just hanging out posting in every thread having fun with you comments?