L2501 won't start - dirt in fuel downstream of filter.

rusty0080

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST
Apr 11, 2024
Clear Brook, VA
I have a 2020 L2501 HST with 66 hours. It ran great and have had no issues. I was moving some logs in the back corner of my property the other day and something knocked off the fuel filter canister. I shut the machine down and quickly cleaned off as much of the dirt and mud as I could, and hastily put the filter back on so I could limp the tractor back to the house. In hindsight, that was the wrong move, but can't change it now. After putting the fuel filter back, I opened the valve to bleed the air and started the tractor then closed the valve. It started and ran for about 30 seconds then died when I tried to increase the throttle. I tried several times and it would start every time, but would die after a few seconds. I suspect that I introduced dirt into the fuel system downstream of the filter. So the question is, what can I do to fix it? Will a fuel system additive like seafoam dissolve the dirt or clear the blockage? Can I remove the fuel injectors and clean them manually or just replace them? Could the issue be something else?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
SO - what you are saying is that there is a possibility that "dirt" got past the filter and now has entered the injection pump?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Could the issue be something else?
You knocked the clear plastic cup off of the filter housing and were able to screw it back on? The cup or head may be damaged/cracked.
You may very well have a suction leak at the filter cup or housing.

You can not clean the injectors yourself, if you decide they need to be cleaned they will have to be sent to a diesel fuel pump shop.

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
There is also a "bleeder knob" that you might have to use.

I can't remember if you turn it clockwise fully and then start it and let it run for a few seconds to bleed it?

I am sure someone can post the proper way to do it. Its probably in the shop manual somewhere.

BTW, I did basically the same thing with mine when I first got it.

Hence I made a guard for it, and all the other exposed filters.

Looks like its "off to the shop" for you.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/fuel-filter-guard.61706/#post-609702

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you did get dirt and debris in the fuel system, the chances of it getting all the way to the injectors is rare.

It first will get caught in the lift pump, then in the reserve of the injection pump, then if it doesn't destroy the individual injection pumps or delivery valves on the way through, then it will get to the Injectors.

Pull the housing for the fuel filter and replace all of it.
As @whitetiger stated your very likely to have a crack in there somewhere and it's sucking air in with the fuel.

Reactions: 1 user