L2501 tuned down...? Dealer stated...?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
[snip}
the engine can make quite a bit more power, but you also gotta remember it's application. L2501 is a sub 25hp tractor, and it's original thought was to take advantage of the 25hp threshold for the dpf, and that has been it's success.
[snip]
next issue. Transmission. It's designed to run X ground speed at X engine rpm. When you modify the engine, you place more torque on the transmisison, clutch, drive train. Is it gonna take it?
[snip]
Just a curiosity question, but my impression from reading posts in different threads here at OTT, is that the L2501 shares the same mechanical parts (other than the engine/HP) of its two bigger brothers in the series.

Is this not the case?

I specifically remember a guy that posted about possibly adding a turbo to a L2501, and he claimed it would handle the extra HP just fine, since the larger tractors share the same mechanical components. No idea if true or not...

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
"Please, this is not a debate on whether it should be done, can be done, or whatever....I am asking to see if anyone has actually made this modification as multiple dealers nationwide have agreed that it is tuned down and can be tuned up but due to liabilityies etc....they can not direct on how. So, anyone?"

I also would like to hear factual responses from folks that have "tuned" the L2501 engine. Some also say that there are many differences in the engine and drive train of the L2501, L3301 and L3901, some say "no" , that from a practical standpoint , other than engines and emissions and related systems they are the same. It would be nice to know what differences actually exist. Not saying I am inline to "tune" my L2501 but as they say knowledge is king! :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My buddy with the M7060 didn't mention any "screw turning" said it was done with a computer, as would be expected with a modern computer controlled engine. They do it in pick up trucks and cars every day.
That's because a M7060 is a common rail computer controlled engine, not like a L2501 mechanically controlled engine witch is what this thread was directed to. ;)

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...there are many differences in the engine and drive train of the L2501, L3301 and L3901, some say "no"...
Most of the standard L's were pretty close in that the engine all run around 2500 to 2600 rpm's to get PTO rpm's @ 540.

The L2501 gets 540 rpm at 2200 engine rpm's so that's totally different.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
L3301 and L3901 (and the new 3302 and 3902) are totally completely different engines. I think they may share a few fasteners but that's about it.

The 2501's predecessor had a smaller engine and more HP but it was a emissions Tier 3 compliant engine and not tier 4. I am hearing that tier 5 is on it's way.......although I can't verify, I'm really out of the loop now.

Kubota engineers aren't idiots. They have parameters that marketing departments that specify what they want, then they also have governing bodies that dictate what THEY want, a warranty department that says we need to make it bulletproof, but also have to make some money on it, etc etc. So, with that said, they used a larger engine than it's predecessor had, played around with the injection timing and quantity, compression, governed speeds, transmission, hydraulic system, and a million is a waste of money in an application such as this.other things and came up with the L2501's engine which is what we are stuck with.

The basic engine (block, head, crank) were used on some excavators, among other types of equipment. Refrigerators--I've seen one on a reefer rig. Power unit (irrigation). But that's just the BASIC engine, remember there's a whole lot more to an engine, which is why kubota has all kinds of numbers and letters after the basic engine id. A D1703 in a tractor is not identical to a D1703 in an excavator and a D1703 in a Kubota excavator is not the same as a D1703 in a Bobcat. Might be very similar, but there are almost always little differences.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just a curiosity question, but my impression from reading posts in different threads here at OTT, is that the L2501 shares the same mechanical parts (other than the engine/HP) of its two bigger brothers in the series.

Is this not the case?

I specifically remember a guy that posted about possibly adding a turbo to a L2501, and he claimed it would handle the extra HP just fine, since the larger tractors share the same mechanical components. No idea if true or not...
Sure you can bolt a turbocharger on the engine, but you do not have the spray nozzles in the crankcase to cool the pistons, sooooo it's not going to last long before a piston melts.
The L2501 shares some mechanical components as the L3301 and L3901.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
My buddy with the M7060 didn't mention any "screw turning" said it was done with a computer, as would be expected with a modern computer controlled engine. They do it in pick up trucks and cars every day.
No dealer can not turn up a Kubota computer-controlled engine using a computer with Diagmaster. Kubota has one program for the ECU and you can not alter that program.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
No dealer can not turn up a Kubota computer-controlled engine using a computer with Diagmaster. Kubota has one program for the ECU and you can not alter that program.
Just going by what he told me. I’ll be there tomorrow for parts, I’ll ask then.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just going by what he told me. I’ll be there tomorrow for parts, I’ll ask then.
I have a theory in which it could be possible for them to do it, but I have no experience in using the Kubota diagnostic software. But as whitetiger points out, we cannot pick and chose what software to download to a vehicle.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Sure you can bolt a turbocharger on the engine, but you do not have the spray nozzles in the crankcase to cool the pistons, sooooo it's not going to last long before a piston melts.
Speaking of that, I was all ready to buy one and do it with all the fabulous results those people were getting with their turbos.......but they have all gone suddenly quiet and disappeared??????

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just mentioned the turbo as the reason that guy looked at the larger tractors in the series, and concluded the L2501 was essentially the same mechanically. He used that conclusion as justification that increasing L2501 HP would not be detrimental to the L2501 drivetrain (Since it was used in the L3901 also)

This caught my attention, but no way for me to know.

I just wonder how accurate that guys conclusion is/was.

Would be interesting to know approximately what percent of driveline components are shared between the three models. 10%? 90%? And what components are made stronger in the larger models.

My personal only interest in knowing this is the good feeling it might bring me if I bought an L2501. Thinking I might be getting a mechanically stronger tractor than one designed simply as a single model 25 HP tractor would likely be.

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
Speaking of that, I was all ready to buy one and do it with all the fabulous results those people were getting with their turbos.......but they have all gone suddenly quiet and disappeared??????
yeah would like to get a update from @Mikemoto17 too. think im gonna have mine tuned next year. talked to a friend about it, he's a national sled pull champion. he was pushing ~1500 hp outta his diesel pickup. he just tuned his razor to +400 hp :D said the tractor wouldn't be a problem.
turbo would be the $hit!