L2501 - broke the exhaust manifold

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Without getting too far into Metalurgy 101, suffice it to say that cast iron's most identifying trait is it has WAY too much carbon to form anything strong - like steel for instance which is between 0.2 and 0.95 percent carbon. Yes, the whole vast worldwide steel industry lives between zero and one percent carbon. (look up "iron-carbide diagram"). Dead-soft steel has around 0.2 % C and the highest-zoot tool steels have around 0.95% C.

Cast irons typically contain 4 to 6 percent carbon. The excess C forms tiny islands in the grain structure, greatly reducing tensile strength. Its cheap and easy to make in odd shapes, so its used for lots of things. Just don't pull on it too hard. Most cast iron is 3 or 4 times weaker in tension than in compression - like concrete. Welding it causes widespread thermal micro-cracks all around the area that can't be eliminated without re-melting the whole thing. The part is always compromised after that.

There are lower-carbon alloys like ductile or malleable iron which are stronger but also more expen$ive to make. Sorry for the lecture, I used to teach this stuff to engineering students, and I fully recognize "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". There are a lot of people sticking cast iron back together thinking they are "welding" it - but in almost all cases it's just a bigger bag of invisible internal cracks with way less than original strength. Dick B.
I think it’s fascinating and Thank You! Can you tell me what it means when a seller of cast cannons describes it as “grey iron”..?? Is that somehow stronger….or not…?

Reactions: 1 user

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
Anybody know the torque specs for the bolts on the manifold?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
little 's' snug, run for 1 hour to get hot, then another little 's' snug.

you'd think the WSM would have the spec in it, somewhere.......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That sucks man, but 200 bucks ain't that bad in the scheme of things today.

Hell, just not going to Taco Bell a couple of times will pay for that quick....(Taco Bell prices are 🖕 crazy now, don't get me started. )

You made the right call for sure.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Hell, just not going to Taco Bell a couple of times will pay for that quick....(Taco Bell prices are 🖕 crazy now, don't get me started. )

Even the "taco folder" person probably gets at least $15 per hour these days.
I think it all falls within the definition of "Bidenomics"

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm good at breaking things.

Was clearing up some woods today, pushing over some small trees, etc... and then, whammo! I was backing up after pushing a small tree and the tree decided it would attack me and as I backed up it snuck up in the tractor got hung on the exhaust tip and cracked the manifold. How in the world can such a small tree break this steel. Oh well, it did. Tractor got LOUD immediately so I figured something with the exhaust, sure enough. At least it didn't get the radiator/fan.

Thinking I might just tack weld it, would you do that? vs buying another manifold.

View attachment 118140

View attachment 118141
JB Weld makes a high temperature version for manifolds. I just applied a bot to a small hole on the side of my sauna stove. So far so good. I realize this is a hillbilly style repair and may not offer a permanent solution. For
I'm good at breaking things.

Was clearing up some woods today, pushing over some small trees, etc... and then, whammo! I was backing up after pushing a small tree and the tree decided it would attack me and as I backed up it snuck up in the tractor got hung on the exhaust tip and cracked the manifold. How in the world can such a small tree break this steel. Oh well, it did. Tractor got LOUD immediately so I figured something with the exhaust, sure enough. At least it didn't get the radiator/fan.

Thinking I might just tack weld it, would you do that? vs buying another manifold.

View attachment 118140

View attachment 118141
JB Weld makes a few high temperature tolerant "solutions" for your problem. I just patched a small crack in my sauna stove with one and so far so good. I realize this is possibly not a long term solution but for $9.00 I figured its worth a try. I have had great luck using JB Weld in the past. Good luck.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

The best deal in fast-food land is the $3 double cheeseburger "bundle" at McDonalds. Or "Dons" as the cool kids say. Thats $3 for a double cheeseburger and fries. A 6 ft tall 120 pound 15 year old male will consume 2 bundles , a 10 piece chicken nugget order and a large milkshake in under 20 minutes. My 15 year old considers his physique " aerodynamic". McDonald's has an app that lures many with regularly offered deals. Before they recently closed the location near my office there were many patrons extolling these virtues. There are no longer any "Dons" in Downtown Pittsburgh. So sad. Merry Christmas!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I guess I’m easily confused. What tractor is being referred to in this thread?

The manifold dustyrusty posted the link to looks exactly like what is needed. But it’s not listed for an L2501, except for the L2501F which is a 2 Wheel Dr. tractor. OR the l2500DT.

But the OP lists his tractor as a l2501DT.

An on-line image for the L2501 shows this:

IMG_1426.jpeg

Looks different that what the OP posted. When reading the OP’s first post, I imagined a vertical stack coming out of the hood.

what are my missing?

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
That is not a L2501 in the USA, no DPF on a L2501.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I guess I’m easily confused. What tractor is being referred to in this thread?

The manifold dustyrusty posted the link to looks exactly like what is needed. But it’s not listed for an L2501, except for the L2501F which is a 2 Wheel Dr. tractor. OR the l2500DT.

But the OP lists his tractor as a l2501DT.

An on-line image for the L2501 shows this:

View attachment 118410

Looks different that what the OP posted. When reading the OP’s first post, I imagined a vertical stack coming out of the hood.

what are my missing?
Agree with Orange Man, looks like it could be a L3301 or L3901.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Even the "taco folder" person probably gets at least $15 per hour these days.
I think it all falls within the definition of "Bidenomics"
Heard on the news yesterday that 16 states are going to a $16 minimum wage on January 1st. When I had my first job, it was $1.50, and after a month they gave me a nickel raise.

According to Google AI, The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 set the minimum wage at 25 cents per hour, which is equivalent to $5.20 in 2022 dollars. In 1949, the minimum wage was increased to 75 cents per hour for all workers, and in 2009, it was increased to $7.25 per hour.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Heard on the news yesterday that 16 states are going to a $16 minimum wage on January 1st. When I had my first job, it was $1.50, and after a month they gave me a nickel raise.

According to Google AI, The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 set the minimum wage at 25 cents per hour, which is equivalent to $5.20 in 2022 dollars. In 1949, the minimum wage was increased to 75 cents per hour for all workers, and in 2009, it was increased to $7.25 per hour.
I guess I am a bit older (or you had a better job?)
My first job paid $1.00 per hour (1953),....at a local small grocery store.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
seems that manifold fit 63 models !
seems to connect to an oval muffler ( see post #1 picture )
I know. But the L2501 is not listed as one of them...that is what confused me. (except for what I listed, which was the 2wd drive model).

Also I can't find a photo of a L2501 with a vertical stack. All I find is photos where the exhaust exits similar to shown in that photo I posted above, where the pipe exits near the left front wheel...

Of course I may be missing the obvious. Won't be the first time...

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Guess I got cheated, the bums. In 1962 I was paid 50 cents an hour to drive survey stakes in a cotton field, which soon became a housing development.
rr